Fitting A/C to a UK Rev5 NA

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JoeMc

Fitting A/C to a UK Rev5 NA

Post by JoeMc »

Hi all,

As per the title, this year the NA will hopefully get an A/C retrofit.

I presume this will be a difficult project with a million bits to source and by the time it's done it will be winter - but I like a challenge and even in the UK a T-bar gets sweaty very quickly. I was going to start getting everything together with a new condenser and pump. Rock Auto seems to be the best place for the condensor, that doesn't seem too complicated. I did want to check though, will a Turbo pump fit on the NA mount? I presume they are the same, but it's an expensive kit to order on a hunch. I'm looking at getting this kit: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 07&jsn=838 I have a Rev4 Turbo as well with A/C - it looks like the pump would fit, but I'm not 100% sure.

I'm not looking to retro-fit full climate control - just the manual A/C on/off button to the existing heater controls. I realise also that when (if) I manage to get it installed, it will need attention from a technician to commission the system before use.

TIA :D

Joe
----------------
Current MR2s:
2018- Rev 5 UK NA
2018- Rev 4 Sonic Shadow Turbo

Previous:
2014-2015 Rev4 UK NA
2001-2010 Rev2 Turbo
SonicSW20

Re: Fitting A/C to a UK Rev5 NA

Post by SonicSW20 »

You can cross reference part numbers here:

https://japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/1998/m ... electrical
JoeMc

Post by JoeMc »

Of course.... Why didn't I think of that?!?
Thanks for that, huge help!
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Apparently a lot of the pipework for A/C is NLA, so unless you can fab it yourself you might be SOL. Or you know an A/C engineer who can do it for you.

Edit: I'm pretty sure the compressor part numbers are the same NA and turbo, as there were only 2 different units. The r134a one and the older R12 style one, it's been a while I ended up ordering a brand new Denso unit that had to come from america because nobody here could get a brand new or even refurbed one.

This is the part number of the one I ordered 88320-17100

Return to “Modifications”