How to check gearbox oil level?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

HighwayStar

How to check gearbox oil level?

Post by HighwayStar »

As per the title really.

When I've watched Wheeeler Dealers it seems to often be a case of just filling until it comes out of an 'overflow' then plugging the overflow but I've no idea if that's right for my car .... a UK Mk2 Rev1 but with a recent replacement sump without the standard 'automatic' level checker linked to the dash warning light.

I've found a leak from one of the seals and have the car booked in for the work in about 3 weeks but want to check the level before driving it about before then.

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks in advance if you can.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Re: How to check gearbox oil level?

Post by toxo »

That is the way I've always seen it done in the workshop books and the way I've done it myself Rob. Pour it in until it's coming out the filler point :D
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Thanks Toxo.... you're a star.

Now if you can answer my questions about the Eibach springs with standard shocks in the mods section as well....

Is it me or does it seem there aren't anywhere near as many active members here as there were when I had my old white Rev1 (that's going back 6 or 7 years ago now admittedly)?

I guess there just aren't as many 2's left on our roads now.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Think social media plays a big part in it too, plus this forum was fairly broken for quite a long time. Afraid I can't help you with your suspension queries!
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

HighwayStar wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:04 am
Thanks Toxo.... you're a star.

Now if you can answer my questions about the Eibach springs with standard shocks in the mods section as well....

Is it me or does it seem there aren't anywhere near as many active members here as there were when I had my old white Rev1 (that's going back 6 or 7 years ago now admittedly)?

I guess there just aren't as many 2's left on our roads now.

Hi John

I cant be specific re Eibach Springs
But i have had lowered springs on std & Black Billies, with my old rev 1 (RIP) i found no issues if you have a slight drop, & the struts are in good condition I cant really see an issue

When i do springs & struts I always put 2 bump stops, over the piston rod :shock: i, Why?? i dont know Im wierd that way ha ha :lol:

Regards Brian
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Hi Brian and thanks for the response... again.

I think it likely now I'll leave everything 'standard' rather than change to the Eibachs .... if I keep the car another decade or so I'm sure by then there will be enough sag in the springs to bring it back to how it looked when I bought it 5 years ago. The other thing is the older I get the more comfort I like!

I would say have a look in my garage for pics showing the height difference between the new standard springs and those on the car when I bought it which were 25 years old at the time but as far as I can see the 'new' site hasn't retained all the old garage pics and details of mods etc. Still trying to get used to it.

I take it the old 'Garage' pages have indeed gone and I'm not just being dozy in not finding them?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

They are still there where they used to be. If you go to /forums/ the old info is all still there. However no further changes can be made.

Here's yours: https://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/garage.ph ... e&CID=1993 - Maybe you could put it in your signature.

Edit: and no I did not purposefully make my car top of the garage list before I made it read only :D

Return to “Mechanical”