Black Rev2 Tintop Turbo

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

chaotic.entity

Re: Black Rev2 Tintop Turbo

Post by chaotic.entity »

So here's the 4 pictures I took when I went to view the car. Masonry paint and blinker fluid in the foglight.

The MX5 is my mates, he bought it from the same guy. Had both shipped to me as it needed to have its diff swapped and an axle rebuilt.
chaotic.entity

Post by chaotic.entity »

Engine bay:
Quick view of one of the sills:
Didn't realise these cars come with a mini glove box for the driver!
Stripping driver's side door:
Because some idiot broke the lock:
The boot appears to have been the victim of a violent attack:
Immobiliser:
Gone:
Previous owner did a "decent" audio install, well it wasn't a hack job at least but not my idea of a well installed system:
Dropped the steering column so I could sort the telescopic function:
Steering foglights!

Now for a quick look around the vehicle and the rust:

Toying with my new angle grinder to remove some bubbles:

AC condenser has seen better days:

Rolled into the garage ready for disassembly:

Onto axle stands:

Radiator out, ac condenser becoming spaghetti:

Both out now:

Wings and bumper came off as one as the nuts were.... rather fond of each other:

Bit rusty behind the bumper but hey ho:

Impact bar off:

Rear bumper stripped:

Interior stripped:

Dashboard out:

Headliner out:

Suspension mostly off (bloody anti roll bar):

The crust pile growing as I've affectionately come to call it:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Looks like you've got your work cut out there...
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
chaotic.entity

Post by chaotic.entity »

That's a nice way of putting it :lol:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

pistol_pete had a white rev1 off me a year or two ago and stripped it down much the same as you were doing. The towel was thrown in when the state of the rear suspension turrets was revealed, so I'd definitely check that area out (I'm sure you would anyway)!
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
chaotic.entity

Post by chaotic.entity »

A friend of mine said something similar, told his mate to write off an mr2 when the engine mount mounting area was rusted through.

He came to look at the car with me so we checked from above and below as much as we could. I expect there to be some surface rust in places but haven't been able to poke a screwdriver through from the wheel well area anyway.

Fortunately for me, I've said this is going to be a long project in the first place so more rust isn't really a worry at this point, just more things to add to the list for me to fix at the end of the day!
chaotic.entity

Post by chaotic.entity »

Strip down continues, dash support bar out, drivers side wiring all removed. Slowly trying to pull the heater core out next.

chaotic.entity

Post by chaotic.entity »

Heater core out, cabin loom out. Need to find a place to put all this stuff!

chaotic.entity

Post by chaotic.entity »

Busy weekend, pulled the abs/traction/brake master cylinder out. So much weight, not decided on whether I'll keep ABS in the car or not yet. Any suggestions?

Also removed sound deadening, this is officially the bane of my existence. Urgh.
monkeyra
Premium Member

Post by monkeyra »

That rust looks like fun. Are you a dab hand with the welder?

I'm fortunate enough to have owned my Rev 1 since 2006 ish, and the previous owner imported it from Japan. It's been garaged it's entire life, rarely driven in the wet and has zero rust. It's amazing what the British weather can to do a car!
SW20 Rev1 Supercharged 2GR-FE Powered Trackday Car.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

If it was mine I don't think I would bother keeping the ABS and TRC. The early ABS system is not very clever - it was improved over the lifetime of the MK2 and the rev5 system is fairly good for the era. The TRC is likewise pretty agricultural and it makes fitting aftermarket intake cooling parts more of a challenge because of the second throttle body. The challenge I guess is getting the bits to replace them, if that's the route you go down.
chaotic.entity

Post by chaotic.entity »

monkeyra wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:34 pm
That rust looks like fun. Are you a dab hand with the welder?

I'm fortunate enough to have owned my Rev 1 since 2006 ish, and the previous owner imported it from Japan. It's been garaged it's entire life, rarely driven in the wet and has zero rust. It's amazing what the British weather can to do a car!

I most certainly am not. Will be learning as I got basically, lots to learn as I do the whole thing.

toxo wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:09 pm
If it was mine I don't think I would bother keeping the ABS and TRC. The early ABS system is not very clever - it was improved over the lifetime of the MK2 and the rev5 system is fairly good for the era. The TRC is likewise pretty agricultural and it makes fitting aftermarket intake cooling parts more of a challenge because of the second throttle body. The challenge I guess is getting the bits to replace them, if that's the route you go down.

TRC has to go as I'm going aftermarket ECU anyway (Which'll do its own Traction control), ABS I was debating yanking something from a MK3 MR2 as apparently they're happy to use the MK2s ABS sensors so could potentially get a better ABS system in situ. Lexus ABS sensors apparently work and fit in the MK2 so game plan was those ABS sensors and then a mk3 abs system.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

chaotic.entity wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:12 amABS I was debating yanking something from a MK3 MR2 as apparently they're happy to use the MK2s ABS sensors so could potentially get a better ABS system in situ. Lexus ABS sensors apparently work and fit in the MK2 so game plan was those ABS sensors and then a mk3 abs system.

If not there is always the ubiquitous Bosch MK60, people seem to love fitting that to things it wasn't meant to go in
chaotic.entity

Post by chaotic.entity »

toxo wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:01 am
chaotic.entity wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:12 amABS I was debating yanking something from a MK3 MR2 as apparently they're happy to use the MK2s ABS sensors so could potentially get a better ABS system in situ. Lexus ABS sensors apparently work and fit in the MK2 so game plan was those ABS sensors and then a mk3 abs system.

If not there is always the ubiquitous Bosch MK60, people seem to love fitting that to things it wasn't meant to go in

Down another rabbit hole I go.... I was aware of the Bosch Motorsport ABS systems but those are on the order of 5k plus. MK60 seems to be a significantly cheaper option, will have a gander and add it to the list of possibilities
monkeyra
Premium Member

Post by monkeyra »

Bosch MK60, that's a new one to me as well.
SW20 Rev1 Supercharged 2GR-FE Powered Trackday Car.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Ah they go in kit cars and stuff fairly often. It's the system from the late E46 and it's capable of working completely autonomously of the other car electrics. Gives you ABS and DSC and you can turn one or both off at the push of a button.
chaotic.entity

Post by chaotic.entity »

toxo wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:34 pm
Ah they go in kit cars and stuff fairly often. It's the system from the late E46 and it's capable of working completely autonomously of the other car electrics. Gives you ABS and DSC and you can turn one or both off at the push of a button.

I think I'm sold... any ideas on places I could just buy a kit from to make my life easier? :lol:
chaotic.entity

Post by chaotic.entity »

chaotic.entity wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:07 pm
toxo wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:34 pm

I think I'm sold... any ideas on places I could just buy a kit from to make my life easier? :lol:

To answer myself 3dmmotorsport seem to be the guys to go to. Have to have stuff shipped from the states it seems. Research will continue
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

I'm not actually aware of anyone having fitted one to a MK2... Just plenty of other things!

Easier to find someone in the UK breaking an M3 surely?
chaotic.entity

Post by chaotic.entity »

toxo wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:20 pm

I'm not actually aware of anyone having fitted one to a MK2... Just plenty of other things!

Easier to find someone in the UK breaking an M3 surely?

Easier/cheaper yes, but less guarantees of things lasting, and these guys reprogram the ECU for better slip targets apparently.

Return to “Member Profiles”