Car won't start

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ali's Gts

Car won't start

Post by Ali's Gts »

Hi fellow owners I'm in a little bind and need your assistance.

Long story short I haven't driven my mr2 turbo rev 3 in a while and the battery cut out as I tried to start her up. Jumped the car and all electrics work apart from the imboliser red light. Car central locking still works etc... any ideas what could be wrong looking to get the fuse switched out which I believe is a 7.5 amp.

Could it be a ecu issue or just a blown fuse etc.
I'll upload pics when I get a chance

Thanks for reading

Ali

[/img]
platmatt8

Re: Car won't start

Post by platmatt8 »

Was the starter motor turning over?

Did the engine try to start (cough, splutter, etc...)

Is the battery fully charged?
oVerboost

Post by oVerboost »

Guessing you have the remote fob still and it's working correctly?
Ali's Gts

Post by Ali's Gts »

platmatt8 wrote:Was the starter motor turning over?

Did the engine try to start (cough, splutter, etc...)

Is the battery fully charged?

The engine wont even try to start as the immobiliser wont allow it to.
Ali's Gts

Post by Ali's Gts »

oVerboost wrote:Guessing you have the remote fob still and it's working correctly?

yeah exactly this, central locking still engages and the alarm will still go off, jus the immobiliser isn't even responsive i.e. flashing red so the engine wont even try to tick over.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Do you know what type of alarm/immobilizer you have? I have a cobra in mine and even if the pairing messes up i have a code that i can enter via a button that will always deactivate the full system. Might be worth trying that if you can and try and repair the fobs, etc.
It may be that the system's battery back up went completely flat which may end up in a similar position as pulling the alarm system fuse which resets stuff.
Rev1 Tubby, Garrett GT3071R, Motec M4 EMS, 880cc delphis, Rev3 turbo port polished built head/cams/titanium retainers, shim under buckets, HD springs, etc., rear bumper mounted intercooler, and vanilla air freshener.
Ali's Gts

Post by Ali's Gts »

archangel wrote:Do you know what type of alarm/immobilizer you have? I have a cobra in mine and even if the pairing messes up i have a code that i can enter via a button that will always deactivate the full system. Might be worth trying that if you can and try and repair the fobs, etc.
It may be that the system's battery back up went completely flat which may end up in a similar position as pulling the alarm system fuse which resets stuff.

just found out its a old Meta systems alarm. aftermarket, going to try and bypass the alarm if possible.

also the speedometer needle jumps all over the place when in ignition mode ?
archangel

Post by archangel »

It probably works in a similar way. If you happen to have a documents folder see if you have the manual for the alarm and if it has a 4 digit code that you can enter somewhere to override the disarm.
Rev1 Tubby, Garrett GT3071R, Motec M4 EMS, 880cc delphis, Rev3 turbo port polished built head/cams/titanium retainers, shim under buckets, HD springs, etc., rear bumper mounted intercooler, and vanilla air freshener.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”