Locked out of boot

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jnl2000

Locked out of boot

Post by jnl2000 »

I just arrived home with a 1998 2 litre GTi barn find MR2 for son. The boot did not open from inside. I was trying to fix by reconnecting the cable and whilst doing so also disconnected the linkage from the key lock. Like a dick I then shut the boot..!!!! I think I am screwed but any help on how to get in appreciated. So to recap the pull tab inside the car is disconnected and so now is the key operating mechanism... :cry: :cry: :cry:
2tmike

Boot

Post by 2tmike »

Not a good place to be.....
If you've already removed the trim around the sides and back inside the boot then you just might have a chance through the indicator lens with a coat hanger tool and inspection camera if you've got one. This lens will come off from the outside ( the end triangular one, just levers/pulls off) and if you then remove the rubber grommet around the wiring leaving a hole of about 40mm dia to go through. The other rear light lenses won't come off though as the top screws are hidden by the boot lid....
If all this fails and you don't want to risk damage to the bootlid or rear panel, then you might have to cut an access hole in the boot floor after removing the silencer, heat shield etc.
Best of luck!!!
jnl2000

Re: Locked out of boot

Post by jnl2000 »

Thank you so much for the reply I will certainly give the indicator lens an go.
I cant believe I actually shut the boot lid after disconnecting the linkage to the key lock what a tw*t..!!
platmatt8

Post by platmatt8 »

Welcome to the IMOC,

Good luck with the car and maybe show us some photos of you progress.

*admin you need to move this to correct section
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

Indeed welcome,
*** moved***

ha ha my first MR2 I could not understand why the boot would not go down, then upon trying to find my watch........ yep left my watch in the way doooh

Regards Brian
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”