sticky gear change

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Chumbaside

Re: sticky gear change

Post by Chumbaside »

jbliss wrote:
Ryan S wrote:I am due a gearbox oil change so will go with that. Expenses aren't really something that I care about with the car anymore haha. Just whatever works :)

Id definitely recommend some MT-90. Best price I found was JJC on eBay. bought a US gallon and had some left over

Only do this if you have the standard viscous diff. If you have an aftermarket clutch-type LSD, MT90 will make the car unusable due to the horrendous clonking and locking of the LSD...
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I do just have a stock diff :) My wee shift bearings arrived today so hopefully get both jobs done next week at some point.
Chumbaside

Post by Chumbaside »

Ryan S wrote:I do just have a stock diff :) My wee shift bearings arrived today so hopefully get both jobs done next week at some point.

Happy days - MT90 ,ay be worth a shot then.

Personally I have just replaced the 'skateboard bearings' SBITs mod for BRD polyurethane bushes and the difference is night and day!! I also took apart the gear bell crank assembly on the transmission and cleaned and lubed the pivot points for good measure, along with the gear lever pivots and ball / socket too.

All well worth doing. My gear lever has gone from not always returning to centre to swiftly pinging back like a morning glory :lol:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

For what its worth, any high quality GL4 oil will do great in an E153. There is nothing particularly special about MT90 other than it is an example of a high quality GL4 oil.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I am glad to hear that as it's skateboard bearings in there just now and it's the TB poly ones going it. I'll deffo take your advice about cleaning everything up too!

Also good info about the gear oil,

Cheers folks :)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

https://racerxfabrication.com/mr2-celic ... hifter-box

Just spotted this. Can anyone confirm this will fit before I buy it? It doesn't state fits turbo model but are the N/A and turbo the same?
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

I didn't change my shifter when I engine swapped so assume the same. Only difference is the cables AFAIK, and thats just one of them is a different length IIRC.

Not sure on RacerX as a brand. Seems to be pretty low quality chinesium with a name slapped on.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Funny as I often think they're extremely overpriced for some of the stuff they do. This shifter does appear to have good reviews though. Any other kits out there? I couldn't find any for around this price :(
Chumbaside

Post by Chumbaside »

Looks-wise the RacerX kit looks ok, but that gearshift setup re-uses the major parts of your stock setup. The polymer cup is a wear item so you'd need to source a new one, otherwise a waste of money I'd have thought.

The other parts that made a huge difference to my shifting were the metal bushings in the bellcrank lever setup -

https://gt4-play.co.uk/shop/gear-selector-bush-set

Mine had worn and were stiff when compared to new. But the car is 26 years old I guess!

As for the gear lever, unless the return spring is worn a clean and regrease will do the job I reckon :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Ah ok. So i think my plan then is to buy another (stock) shifter box and replace all parts with new toyota parts. I'll see what can be done at the gearbox end as well. Having been thinking about this while driving the car i do feel like the clutch isn't 100% disengaging when depressed. Sometimes the shift is smooth as silk (only at low revs) and other times it can feel a bit notchy. Just to be clear the shifting isn't as bad as I've perhaps made out. It's just at higher revs i have to ram it into gear, Not ideal for 1/4 mile times which was a big part of why i built it.

I just remember my old rev3 n/a. It felt like a brand new car when shifting 😍
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

I've always found the E153 a bit slow going compared to the S54, S54 really felt like you could flick through the gears so quickly with ease. E153 certainly feels more stout, but it also feels a bit slower, I've yet to drive an E153 equipped car that matches the S54 in that regard.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I assume you're talking about the n/a box here yeah? Mine did feel very nice, I had a rev2 turbo at the same time and while it wasnt notchy it wasn't as good as the n/a.
Juliuswws

Post by Juliuswws »

Following the topic, that bush (90386-12022) is a great idea to change.
I went a bit further and also ordered a set of 90386-12034 which are similar bushes found in the gear selector assy in the cabin.
Mine shifts perfectly, but there is always room for improvement. Not to mention, something worthwhile to do on my 2 when I'll be bored.

I have no intention ruining the business of the previously mentioned website who got the bushes in stock, but these are €3.XX +VAT from Toyota each...I just got off the phone with the local Toyota dealer (Hugh Boggans)

All 4 (2x2) are in stock in Belgium, I can collect them on Thursday at the dealership.
Belgium is some sort of parts hub for Toyota, pretty sure you would get yours from there as well if ordered from the UK.

Just phone them and tell them you got the part number. You can save great deal of time. Otherwise you give them the VIN etc and then the bloke will start looking in the catalog while you trying to explain what you need...

I'm with first name basis already with the local bloke here :)
He recognises my funny accent (I'm Hungarian) straight away when I call and I just throw the part numbers at him.

All and all, always try dealership first.

P.S: Both set of bushes mentioned above are suitable for Turbo and N/A REV1 to REV5

P.P.S: These are nice mods, but first make sure your basics are working as intended. See my previous post (#13) about 33531-17030 and the area which it covers
Chumbaside

Post by Chumbaside »

Juliuswws wrote:
I have no intention ruining the business of the previously mentioned website who got the bushes in stock, but these are €3.XX +VAT from Toyota each...I just got off the phone with the local Toyota dealer (Hugh Boggans)

Agree, it's difficult. I bought the poly bushes direct from BRD at a much lower price than GT-4Play sells the same thing for, but he does keep the items in stock and has a bunch of useful other bits too!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

That's great man. I'll just ring toyota with those part numbers. I'm pretty friendly with the local parts guy at Toyota here too so shouldn't be any issue :) just to confirm (since i'm quite thick) none of those part numbers are the bushes for the selector cables at the gearbox end no? As i just bought a set :)
Juliuswws

Post by Juliuswws »

Chumbaside wrote:
Juliuswws wrote:

Agree, it's difficult. I bought the poly bushes direct from BRD at a much lower price than GT-4Play sells the same thing for, but he does keep the items in stock and has a bunch of useful other bits too!

I'm not against any of these sites at all. I use TCB, TwosRUs, Nengus etc time to time and I REALLY appreciate their service, but if I can get something for cheaper and quicker, I will choose that option.

Cheers
Juliuswws

Post by Juliuswws »

Ryan S wrote:That's great man. I'll just ring toyota with those part numbers. I'm pretty friendly with the local parts guy at Toyota here too so shouldn't be any issue :) just to confirm (since i'm quite thick) none of those part numbers are the bushes for the selector cables at the gearbox end no? As i just bought a set :)

Hey mate,

No, these are not those.
90386-12034

90386-12022

If you want to go all in and if yours is worn, you might consider getting the plastic cap which houses the gearstick.
First picture: item 33556F
Part number: 33556-17010

I asked today, it was €35ish + VAT so I didn't go with it. Mine is still grand, not worth changing it for around €50
I remember seeing it on one of the websites a while back (maybe TwosRUs), might be cheaper elsewhere...you need to research on that one.

Cheers
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

So helpful dude thanks a lot. I think i'll just renew every part possible except the cables. They are in good condition and I don't really want to do it in all honesty! But everything else I may as well. It's the only section of the car that isn't split new now :)
Juliuswws

Post by Juliuswws »

Ryan S wrote:So helpful dude thanks a lot. I think i'll just renew every part possible except the cables. They are in good condition and I don't really want to do it in all honesty! But everything else I may as well. It's the only section of the car that isn't split new now :)

You are most welcome! Happy to help!
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

Recommend the Super-Klasse bushings, cup & drop plate. Although at that point you might as well get the short shift kit which includes the drop plate and refresh it fully. Noticed they sell a cup for the Racer X kit also.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”