New owner rust question

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Morphman

New owner rust question

Post by Morphman »

Hi guys
I have just bought a rev 3 jap import. The car seems to be in overall good condition but there is some rust. The bottom of the doors and in where the famous foam is/was. There are no signs of rust on the outer sills, question is should I keep looking around and if so where?
JD

Re: New owner rust question

Post by JD »

Get that foam out. You might find that the inner sill has some rot and needs work. I've just done both sides of mine.

The rear arches around the lip, and where they meet the boot might also be a problem area. Take the boot carpet and insulation out to have a look see. Have a good look to see if there's anything starting around the windscreen, A pillars, etc, and T-tops if you've got them. There will be lots of other places underneath that you'll want to have a good look at and maybe do some preventative work if there's been any scuffs to the undercoat but generally the floor pan in SW20s is fairly well protected and not a big problem area - unless by this point they really are getting that bad.
Morphman

Post by Morphman »

Cheers JD. I have the foam out and have some rust in there. The outer sills are perfect and everywhere else seems aok. I cant post pics as I'm a new user. Did you cut out the outer sill to get to the inner
JD

Post by JD »

Morphman wrote:Cheers JD. I have the foam out and have some rust in there. The outer sills are perfect and everywhere else seems aok. I cant post pics as I'm a new user. Did you cut out the outer sill to get to the inner

Yeah, it's the only way really. I got some replacement panels off ebay (I forget which seller, but they sell the outer sills and the inner end bits in the wheel arch), then I made up repair sections for where there were some crispy scabs on the inner sill.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”