[Mk2] [Turbo] Goose Honk - re-circ solutions?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

b4ss

[Mk2] [Turbo] Goose Honk - re-circ solutions?

Post by b4ss »

Hi,
I have standard car apart from Apexi induction kit;
the goose honk is starting to annoy me..

I came across this solution and was wondering if anyone fitted it:

https://www.z1motorsports.com/intercool ... -7494.html

Explanation of why the Honk happens is here:
http://bde-performance.com/goose_how.htm

My preference is to keep the standard BOV..
Any have any thoughts on this?
Thanks,
Tony
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Goose Honk - re-circ solutions?

Post by Ryan S »

I've thankfully never heard the honk but I've heard of it numerous times. I think your only option is to go for an aftermarket BOV, I know the new greddy's can be set to recirculate as can the HKS. Or you can vent to atmosphere of course.
simpson_eh

Post by simpson_eh »

i had it, it really is awful lol. either put the oem filter back in as this supresses it(but is actually still there) or aftermarket dump
If you see an MR2 with a raised engine cover, the bottom line is it's probably faster than your car.
merde2

Post by merde2 »

This is interesting, I also have an apexi air filter fitted and have just removed an atmospheric dump valve (Bailey's) to go back to stock.

Since doing this I've noticed a noise and assumed I'd plumbed the stock valve incorrectly or there is an issue but perhaps it is this goose honk..

Does anyone have a clip of what this sounds like?
jon

Post by jon »

When I first got my MR2 it suffered from the horrible goose honk sound with an Apexi air filter, so it was replaced with an HKS SSQV BOV.

After quite a few years I fitted a ST205 Chargecooler and wasn't happy with the HKS BOV fitment. So I got the original BPV and tested it as per the BGB. I found one of the ports on the BPV couldn't maintain a vacuum, it had a small internal leak.

After replacing it with a BPV with one that did pass the vacuum test I never got the goose honk noise again.

TLDR, Check both ports on the BPV can maintain a vacuum, sometimes they can leak which causes the goose honk noise.
b4ss

Post by b4ss »

jon wrote:When I first got my MR2 it suffered from the horrible goose honk sound with an Apexi air filter, so it was replaced with an HKS SSQV BOV.

After quite a few years I fitted a ST205 Chargecooler and wasn't happy with the HKS BOV fitment. So I got the original BPV and tested it as per the BGB. I found one of the ports on the BPV couldn't maintain a vacuum, it had a small internal leak.

After replacing it with a BPV with one that did pass the vacuum test I never got the goose honk noise again.

TLDR, Check both ports on the BPV can maintain a vacuum, sometimes they can leak which causes the goose honk noise.

Ohh that is interesting, I had a look at the BGB book for testing the BPV, to me it seemed as one of the connections can push alot of air through while the other is restricted. I didn't think to test a vacuum. thanks for the heads up.
Tony

Return to “Modifications”