Dyno results. 420@ the hubs.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: Dyno results. 420@ the hubs.

Post by Ryan S »

I know i'm really annoyed with him. 40 miles of fuel wasted. I'm booked in with him again Monday so when he calls asking where I am i'll string him along till he realises i'm not coming. Waste his time for a change! To be fair I like dynatune better, This place was just closer! Still can't get iver the difference changing from deadhead to regular feed and return, Car is so much smoother, Starts better, idles better, annoying flat spot gone, more responsive and boosting earlier. The dead head setup really isn't for the 3sgte.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Ryan S wrote:I know i'm really annoyed with him. 40 miles of fuel wasted. I'm booked in with him again Monday so when he calls asking where I am i'll string him along till he realises i'm not coming. Waste his time for a change! To be fair I like dynatune better, This place was just closer! Still can't get iver the difference changing from deadhead to regular feed and return, Car is so much smoother, Starts better, idles better, annoying flat spot gone, more responsive and boosting earlier. The dead head setup really isn't for the 3sgte.

hahaha well its up to you, i can feel the frustration.

Where did the whole dead head setup come from? ive worked on cars for a good few years now and can honestly say ive not heard much on it before.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Was my mate Kris' idea. To be fair it looks extremely neat in deadhead as it's just one line from the reg. i'll get you refunded asap bud, Not forgotten about it, Just not had a chance to get to my work for this daft card reader!
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Lots of newer stuff has returnless rails, it was probably an implementation problem rather than an issue with the concept itself.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah who knows man, It just did not want to work. The mapper says he's seen one dead head setup in his time doing this and it was on a ford and was like that from factory. He reckons that kind of setup has issue. Which to be honest I never gave much thought until I now see the difference in the car.

One good thing has come of this session being cancelled. Give me a chance to do my spherical bearings, all the ball joints, new tyres all round, and i'm also ditching the screamer pipe. I absolutely hate the sound of it so it's away to get routed back into the DP. No point having a Berk exhaust just to drown out its beautiful tone with what sounds like a burst exhaust :)
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

How were you controlling pressure with your setup? OEM's do it with either an in tank regulator, or by having the ECU monitor fuel pressure at the rail and control pump speed accordingly.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Just with a FPR. You run it different on the deadhead setup. The one i currently have blanked off is where the feed went and the return is normal. It could just be the case that it wasn't configured properly.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Ryan S wrote:Just with a FPR. You run it different on the deadhead setup. The one i currently have blanked off is where the feed went and the return is normal. It could just be the case that it wasn't configured properly.

Yeah it seems "deadhead" as you're describing is a little different to the OEM setups as you have the FPR before the rail with no return, so the FPR is essentially a restrictor. Looks like its not as reliable as the OEM implementations with variable pump speed or in tank regulator. Seeing as the 3S is already a return system I don't think there's any good reason to change that other than aesthetics.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah both the feed and the return were at the FPR then a feed to the rail. Lesson learned I guess, Plus i'm stuck with the 800s now so I'll just need to make the most of them. Last mapping session they were only at 60% duty (at 430bhp) so I deffo still have some headroom. We'll see what happens, I really don't care about the top end figure now, Just driveability.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Stock rail / side feeds? Be interested to see how it turns out.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

It is yeah. Dunno if you read but my top feeds and rail wouldn't clear my manifold. Only option is to take the manifold off and reshape it. I'm simply not prepared to do that :(

The car was well on its way to making 480bhp so i'm not fussed. It's 430bhp at the moment albeit with a 6400 rev limit.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Ryan S wrote:It is yeah. Dunno if you read but my top feeds and rail wouldn't clear my manifold. Only option is to take the manifold off and reshape it. I'm simply not prepared to do that :(

The car was well on its way to making 480bhp so i'm not fussed. It's 430bhp at the moment albeit with a 6400 rev limit.

480 must be insane! 6400 dude. loads left :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I am on stock rod bolts. I did buy ARPs but never fitted them. Totally regret not getting proper rods now. I think I'm gonna do the rods over winter. It's the rod bolts that are the weak point apparently. I know the NA guys can go as high as 9 on stock ones but i think with boost in the mix it's not a good idea.

Will get your cash sorted tomorrow by the way. I'm down at my work briefly first thing!
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Ryan S wrote:I am on stock rod bolts. I did buy ARPs but never fitted them. Totally regret not getting proper rods now. I think I'm gonna do the rods over winter. It's the rod bolts that are the weak point apparently. I know the NA guys can go as high as 9 on stock ones but i think with boost in the mix it's not a good idea.

Will get your cash sorted tomorrow by the way. I'm down at my work briefly first thing!

at least thats an easy job with no engine removal. can just drop the pan/pickup stuff cant you?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Head would need to come off to fit the pistons but not the end of the world.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Ryan S wrote:Head would need to come off to fit the pistons but not the end of the world.

changing pistons? yeah head off aint so bad.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

rossonza wrote:
Ryan S wrote:Head would need to come off to fit the pistons but not the end of the world.

No but to change the rods the pistons need to come out.
Equium Duo

Post by Equium Duo »

Well keep us posted, I love the udpates.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Ryan S wrote:
rossonza wrote:

No but to change the rods the pistons need to come out.

I read it as your changing rod bolts not rods haha
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Ah apologies, The hassle to change the bolts (they need pressed out I believe) i'd be as well changing the rods. It means a job from the top and bottom or engine out. I may just stick with stock rev limit.

In other news I was dropping the car off for 4 new tyres, 4 new ball joints and 2 new rear spherical bearings and i'm pretty sure the rear drivers side ball joint is completely away. Getting the odd clunk and a pretty much constant tick/squeak while moving.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”