Fuel Cut Or Speed cut

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

shinny

Re: Fuel Cut Or Speed cut

Post by shinny »

From the factory all JDM cars came with a speed limiter (180kph) and all turbo cars came with a boost limiter (varies between engine generation).

There are different devices that defeat each one. Additionally, standalone ECUs won't have the speed limiter (and the boost limit will be configurable).

It's impossible to know what "CT26 Hybrid Stage 1 MR2 Turbo Rev2" actually means but at 25psi/1.7bar I seriously hope you have a built engine, uprated fuel system and a standalone ECU, because a standard engine on a standard ECU will not last long at all!
shinny

Post by shinny »

Jesus wrote:Been running different boosts levels..10psi to 11 as stock,then 15psi to 17psi 20psi to 25psi..all on stock ECU and stock intercooler system,itercooler fan runs al the time.Engine is stock as well,no fancy pistons,bolts and gaskets.

25psi on stock internals... avoid doing that or you're going to say bye bye to your engine :whistle:

Jesus wrote:What I'm saying..maybe speed cut is fuel cut or boost cut

Eh? :-k

The ways the ECU has to restrict the engine is to cut the ignition or the fuel. The boost limiter is a fuel cut... I cant' remember if the speed limited is fuel or ignition cut. I've never actually hit it myself as my turbo has always been delimited.
jon

Post by jon »

shinny wrote:
The ways the ECU has to restrict the engine is to cut the ignition or the fuel. The boost limiter is a fuel cut... I cant' remember if the speed limited is fuel or ignition cut. I've never actually hit it myself as my turbo has always been delimited.

Speed limiter is fuel cut as well. The stock ECU only ever cuts the fuel, ignition cut isn't implemented.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”