Ct20b

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

welshboyo

Ct20b

Post by welshboyo »

Hi guys looking for some advise really bought a ct20b for a£100 which I thought was pretty good deal . It was off a rev3 the guy had upgraded his turbo . He said the turbo was working great when it came off his car but would recommend a rebuild . Does anyone know where I can get this done ?? As better be safe than sorry , any help would be great many thanks :thumleft:
Juliuswws

Re: Ct20b

Post by Juliuswws »

welshboyo wrote:Hi guys looking for some advise really bought a ct20b for a£100 which I thought was pretty good deal . It was off a rev3 the guy had upgraded his turbo . He said the turbo was working great when it came off his car but would recommend a rebuild . Does anyone know where I can get this done ?? As better be safe than sorry , any help would be great many thanks :thumleft:

I got mine rebuilt few months ago by Turbo Rebuild Limited in the UK.
Cleaning, balancing, new steel turbine/shaft, new internals, actuator check/adjust, new water and oil gaskets + return postage to Ireland = £288

It looks and feel good and I read good reviews about them.

This is my spare turbo, haven't had a chance to put it on as my current turbo 8 years/110K still like new apart from the edges of the compressor wheel which is munched away thanks to aftermarket intake.
This was done back than by Mr Tom Cooney in Ireland. I've been told he has retired since than. No surprise, he was well over 60 when I've seen him 8 years ago.

Cheers
Archaeopteryx

Post by Archaeopteryx »

Cleaning, balancing, new steel turbine/shaft, new internals, actuator check/adjust, new water and oil gaskets + return postage to Ireland = £288

[/quote]

Hi, what turbo is that CT26 or CT20 ?

Cheers
Juliuswws

Post by Juliuswws »

Archaeopteryx wrote:I got mine rebuilt few months ago by Turbo Rebuild Limited in the UK.

Hi, what turbo is that CT26 or CT20 ?

Cheers[/quote]

Hi,
CT20b. This was with ceramic turbine/shaft like most of them.
Its all steel (inconel) now.

Cheers
welshboyo

Post by welshboyo »

going to send it to turbo rebuild as well now seem a decent company , how did you find the turbo when you put it back on ??? is their much difference from the ct26.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Ct20 is sooo much better man. It doesn't tail off at 5krpm and you can have it about 17psi without issue. It'll hold 17psi till redline.
Juliuswws

Post by Juliuswws »

welshboyo wrote:going to send it to turbo rebuild as well now seem a decent company , how did you find the turbo when you put it back on ??? is their much difference from the ct26.

Haven't put it in, my old one is still doing great.
I have rev3 so I always been on ct20b. Still, for sure a ct20b is better than ct26.
However, you want to be sure you won't run too lean with a ct20b on a gen2 3S-GTE. OEM pistons, ringlands could melt easily if afr is wrong.

Cheers
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Thread tidied.

Can we keep the psychotic posts to a maximum of zero please.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

If you're running a 20b on a Rev2 block then you'll want to upgrade the HG to a steel one if running 1bar boost etc, plus injectors etc. It's worth doing the whole rev 3 conversion for the cost.

The ct20b is so underrated for an old turbo, really great.
welshboyo

Post by welshboyo »

androo007 wrote:If you're running a 20b on a Rev2 block then you'll want to upgrade the HG to a steel one if running 1bar boost etc, plus injectors etc. It's worth doing the whole rev 3 conversion for the cost.

The ct20b is so underrated for an old turbo, really great.

yes mate i have the steel head gasket so onto a good start lol, not looking for huge power just wanted a little extra . I have a berk downpipe, blitz induction kit, blitz boost gauge, aftermarket intercooler, mishimoto larger radiator, fujitsubo exhaust.

so my plan was to rebuild the ct20b turbo and get some rev3 goodies , do i need bigger injectors ??? and also is the rev3 ecu the way to go ??? sorry for all the questions guys .
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

If you can afford it then yeah 100%. Rev3 is miles better. Rev2 you're limited to about 260/280bhp. Rev3 can see about 300 no problem. The turbo hold more boost all the way till redline too. A very different car.
b4ss

Post by b4ss »

Juliuswws wrote:
welshboyo wrote:Hi guys looking for some advise really bought a ct20b for a£100 which I thought was pretty good deal . It was off a rev3 the guy had upgraded his turbo . He said the turbo was working great when it came off his car but would recommend a rebuild . Does anyone know where I can get this done ?? As better be safe than sorry , any help would be great many thanks :thumleft:

This is my spare turbo, haven't had a chance to put it on as my current turbo 8 years/110K still like new apart from the edges of the compressor wheel which is munched away thanks to aftermarket intake.
This was done back than by Mr Tom Cooney in Ireland. I've been told he has retired since than. No surprise, he was well over 60 when I've seen him 8 years ago.

Cheers

Did you end up changing the ceramic internals for steel, did you notice and increase in lag?
Tony
Juliuswws

Post by Juliuswws »

b4ss wrote:
Juliuswws wrote:

Cheers

Did you end up changing the ceramic internals for steel, did you notice and increase in lag?
Tony

Hey Tony,

I don't think I ever drove on ceramic.

The one I currently have from 2012 got rebuilt with steel internals by Tom Cooney, still running great.

The one I mentioned here is a spare, currently in storage.

As far I know, once your ceramic needs a rebuild, you can only go with steel/inconel internals as ceramic breaks upon disassembly.

Cheers

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”