Running gear refresh

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Running gear refresh

Post by Ryan S »

Does anybody have a diagram of the sw20 running gear? I want to refresh all the bushes, balljoints etc. Basically everything except the springs and shocks as I've just fitted coilovers.

The car rides amazing but just does not feel planted at all or very good on bends.
Race Idiot

Re: Running gear refresh

Post by Race Idiot »

So ya don't need any topmounts I'm assuming

https://www.fensport.co.uk/products/sup ... k2-rev-2-3

That has pretty much every bush you'd need to replace, you've got the suspension arm bushings. The tierod or tension rod bushings, although you can always just buy adjustbale tensionrods which would mean you wouldn't bother with those. Also the front and rear trackrods.

Also new balljoints allround.

There are also steering rack bushings, but I did them and couldnt tell any difference.

Edit: also you could replace the track rod ends on the rack if they have any play
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

That's excellent bud thank you. Na don't need topmounts as the coilovers have them. Car just doesn't feel like how I remember an mr2 :(

Do you know if there's a fitting guide with these kits? A lot of bushes to have to guess where they go!
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

There aint that many! MX-5 is worse with two sets of suspension arms! :mrgreen:

It's pretty straightforward once you start taking bits off. I haven't seen a bush kit for a few years but ones like superpro or powerflex should come with instructions.

Just get yer blowtorch out to remove the old ones! Lots of fun lol
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Is there anything else other than bushes and balljoints that would make the car feel a bit wayward? As far as I could see last time it was on the ramps everything seems solid.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Did you ever get the alignment specs? also what size tyres are you running.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah i had the aligment done properly eventually. Car did feel better but on a left hand bend i have this very odd sensation like the car kinda wriggles at the rear as it settles. It's very noticeable if you hot a bump on a left hand bend.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Ryan S wrote:Yeah i had the aligment done properly eventually. Car did feel better but on a left hand bend i have this very odd sensation like the car kinda wriggles at the rear as it settles. It's very noticeable if you hot a bump on a left hand bend.

Tyres are 205/40 on the front and 235/45 on the rear. Only on a 7 inch rim.

I had my driveshaft bearing done and i swear its after that I've had this issue.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

have you got an alignment sheet? having the wrong toe/camber values especially on the rear of the car can make the car feel terrible through corners.

Other thing could be the power steering running all the time, as it's supposed to turn off after a certain speed iirc.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Na I don't have the sheet but it was set to the same as stock. Car feels fine when cruising, Just that very strange feeling on left bends, Usually under 50mph. I'm not much of a backroad ragger anymore. Can't remember what the numbers were but I remember them all being set to what the stock values were, The machine was a very expensive and near new hunters machine. Was able to measure to within 0.0 of a millimetre. On a right hand bend car feels totally fine.

Next step is to get all the ball joints and bushes done regardless. You should have seen the state of the rear ARB bushes!
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

Suspension geometry kit if the car is lowered.

https://wilhelmraceworks.com/suspension-geometry-kit
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

How much?!?!?

I'll see how it feels after doing all the stock stuff first! Had 4 lowered mr2s and never felt the need for a geometry kit. Never been used on a track mind you.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

You don't need that bloody geometry kit just for the car to drive nicely on the road.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

It was a member on here that done it. Gmac. I didn't want or need a print out as I watched it getting done. He has a rev2 turbo so Knows the mr2.

Aligment is not the issue here.

Totally agree about the geometry kit. The car was driving great before having that driveshaft bearing done. I do believe it to be bushes though as they are most likely the 25 year old original ones.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Archaeopteryx wrote:
Horrible design and Waste of money!

Not at all. If its a track car, this kit is excellent, and is worth the money. Wilhelm make all the data public if you care to have a look for yourself.

Race Idiot wrote:
You don't need that bloody geometry kit just for the car to drive nicely on the road.

But also agree with this, there is something else amiss here. That geo kit isn't really suitable for a daily driver either, its really intended for track applications / dry weather only.

Have you gone through and verified that every single suspension related nut and bolt is correctly fastened? Subframe bolts all there and torqued correctly? If loose the subframe can move by a couple mm which in turn pulls the wheels out of alignment. Similar if the coilover to hub knuckle bolts aren't tight enough - camber can change under load. If a bushing is worn so badly that its adversely affecting handling like you're describing, I'd expect to be able to find it when on a ramp by applying force to arms with a pry bar or similar. A common culprit is often missed - the rear outer tie rod bearing. These will make the rear feel like its doing its own thing when they fail because your toe is no longer consistent.

The issue may be simpler than that - you say you've got 235/45R17 on a 7inch wide wheel. That tyre is too big for the wheel width according to many manufacturer's data books.

Continental: state 7.5inch for a non XL tyre, and 8inch for an XL tyre. https://blobs.continental-tires.com/www ... k-data.pdf

Yokohama state minimum of 7.5inch: https://www.y-yokohama.com/global/produ ... _fix05.pdf

Toyo state minimum of 7.5inch: https://www.toyo.co.uk/UserFiles/File/Car_Brochure.pdf

What you're feeling may just be the tyre sidewall flexing excessively due to the wheel being too narrow for that specific tyre.

Its worth trying another set of wheels with correct tyre fitment if you can to rule it out.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Tie rod bushings seem ok on inspection. I am gonna be changing the tryes soon so hopefully rule that out. However it does only do it on left corner, right is no issue at all. I've not given it proper inspection as of yet but having had a brief feel of most of the components there's nothing really obvious.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Really got to be meticulous and go through it. Very easy to miss something, and you probably won't notice an excessively worn bushing unless you put a decent amount of force onto it with a pry bar or similar.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I'm glad you've decided to post here just to personally attack people and call them idiots
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Anyway, I was thinking is it possible to drive your car without the spacers on?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Race Idiot wrote:Anyway, I was thinking is it possible to drive your car without the spacers on?

Yeah it probably is, However. Before I put the car off the road it felt great with the spacers on. No notable difference to handling at all. I have actually found some play in the front wheel. Possibly a humped wheel bearing 😳

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”