[Mk2] [Turbo] Gen3 3SGTE - best forged piston?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SonicSW20

[Mk2] [Turbo] Gen3 3SGTE - best forged piston?

Post by SonicSW20 »

Hi all,

Does anyone have any opinions on the various forged pistons that are on the market for the 3SGTE as to which one is best for a relatively standard engine, that might see a small frame turbo / ~370-400bhp some time in the future?

Lets make a few assumptions - the block needs a small overbore to 86.25mm to 86.5mm, and for a while I would be running on a stock ECU so CR would need to end up in the range of stock really.
Race Idiot

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Gen3 3SGTE - best forged piston?

Post by Race Idiot »

My build used stock compression 86.5mm pistons from CP.

I don't think there are any bad piston brands, or it's never the point of failure on a 3sgte engine build.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

I've heard multiple accounts of Wiseco suffering from very obvious piston slap, but there's multiple variables in play there and I certainly don't know enough to say its the piston, rather than multiple occurrences of the build not being dead on.
blogsy

Post by blogsy »

:!:
Last edited by blogsy on Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

blogsy wrote:It has to be Wossner 8.0:1 c/r and standard head gasket.

The slightly lower CR (8.5:1 stock) nothing to be concerned about / makes no noticable difference?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Don't overthink the CR. I have 9:01 in mine (and run 29psi of boost) The caldina engine also uses 9:01 with weaker rods. Todays fuel is very different than what these were running on 25 years ago. Can't say one piston brand is better than another. I have CPs in mine. No slap or unruly noises. Done over 5k miles now.
Equium Duo

Post by Equium Duo »

I'm plannign my build so this is good stuff for me too!

I was thinking of going lower CR pistons too. Good to know its not a deal breaker.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Ryan S wrote:Don't overthink the CR. I have 9:01 in mine (and run 29psi of boost) The caldina engine also uses 9:01 with weaker rods. Todays fuel is very different than what these were running on 25 years ago. Can't say one piston brand is better than another. I have CPs in mine. No slap or unruly noises. Done over 5k miles now.

If I was going aftermarket ECU immediately I'd go higher compression for sure, my concern is running anything higher (or lower) than the stock 8.5:1 on the stock ECU.

I do consistently hear good things about CP pistons though.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I mean that was my reasoning, I wanted to use the car with the standard ecu for a while before going with the standalone and bigger injectors and that I was never after massive power
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

The CP have chrome rings too. Very nice gear for the money. Somebody during my build told me that CP were noisey. But as I discovered he was full of nonsense, they're not noisey at all. My advice is don't take any advice from people with no experience on the products you decide to use. The arguments on here back in the day were massively unnecessary
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

I'm with Wossner 8.0.1 cr done over 20k miles built 2014. No issues at all. OEM rods

It's always the case for BEST reliability lower CR is better sure higher will work but head room is lower for there dreaded detonation. The plus is higher CR is better off boost response and i think absolute power.

I'm at 431bhp at 1.9bar or 26psi with 50/50 meth on a Link G4
1zz coil packs and PP SMIC. 400bhp was my goal from the start.

It's been very reliable no issues at all.
Hez

Post by Hez »

Don't overbore if at all possible, CP forged pistons 86mm. If this isn't possible go for the smallest overbore possible 86.25.

As mentioned don't get too hung up on compression ratio, the same mechanic that built mine has many high power builds out there for various customers and are very reliable.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Odin_S wrote:I'm with Wossner 8.0.1 cr done over 20k miles built 2014. No issues at all. OEM rods

It's always the case for BEST reliability lower CR is better sure higher will work but head room is lower for there dreaded detonation. The plus is higher CR is better off boost response and i think absolute power.

Basically the same as mine except I'm not using meth. i'm 430bhp at 29psi with no timing added whatsoever. I have a chargecooler and a link G3. I would say my off boost response is pretty crap even with the higher CR however, It does need mapped properly still. Had to stop due to fuel pressure issues.
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

Ryan S wrote:
Odin_S wrote:I'm with Wossner 8.0.1 cr done over 20k miles built 2014. No issues at all. OEM rods

Basically the same as mine except I'm not using meth. i'm 430bhp at 29psi with no timing added whatsoever. I have a chargecooler and a link G3. I would say my off boost response is pretty crap even with the higher CR however, It does need mapped properly still. Had to stop due to fuel pressure issues.

Get it dialed in mate, high boost is very dicey especially with high CR and no meth.

Yours will definitely be a weapon. I'd look into an Aquamist kit for even more power and safety :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

ach i know. It's not happening this year though. Still got my 1000s to go in and have it mapped. Plus do all the bushes, balljoints etc. I just can't afford it. In fairness my intake temps are 20ish degrees at 29psi and no knock detected whatsover. Maybe over winter i'll go water/meth.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

People are often guided (incorrectly) that an overbore is needed.

Try and go 86mm if you can - that's by far the best bet for longevity
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Totally agree. Mine took 86mm no bother. Just a hone was needed.
markr1

Post by markr1 »

I've used je and cp. Cp are quieter on cold start up. Where as je were noisey until warm. Pays your money makes your choice. Dont think you should have any problems so long as you get your block machined correctly :thumleft:

Return to “Modifications”