[Mk2] [Turbo] Headlight upgrades

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rossonza
Premium Member

[Mk2] [Turbo] Headlight upgrades

Post by rossonza »

Found a few old threads of people doing custom projector upgrades for the mr2 however this was 5 years ago now.

What are the options these days? Anyone using LED? Any good off the shelf kits available for our cars? My stock headlights are shocking. Even more noticeable after driving the Mrs Merc with led headlights.

Cheers
Ross.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Headlight upgrades

Post by Ryan S »

Following. Keen to see what's what.
shinny

Post by shinny »

Rogue rev6 headlights are projectors that come as an off-the-shelf kit... I've seen people on Faceache talking about fitting LEDs to them successfully, but I'm yet to try that myself.

Equium Duo

Post by Equium Duo »

It'll be a few months but I'm planning on trying out the amazon cheap 5x7's for jeep's etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ricoy-Headligh ... ch&sr=8-10

Anyone even tried these?
shinny

Post by shinny »

I think the guys in the USA use LED units similar to that - not sure about that exact one though. Three things to consider though:

1) Make sure they've got a RHD beam pattern before buying
2) SW20s uses a common positive and switched ground, while those lights are described as using a common ground and switched positive, so be prepared for some wiring work
3) Looking at the heatsink at the back, I suspect you'll need to heavily modify the headlamp bowls to get it to fit
Equium Duo

Post by Equium Duo »

Well I'll give it a punt and report back with some photos. But it wont be until summer time. Chassis work to do before then.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Before spending lots of money on upgrades check:

• That your lenses are nice and clean. If they are dirty on the inside or damaged, the relatively cheap "crystal" clear headlights on ebay for about £40-£50 are pretty good for the money.
  • Voltage to the plug - the youngest SW20 is now 20 years old. Electrical connections corrode, wiring deteriorates, relays get tired. Check you're getting near full battery voltage / alternator voltage to the plug. The drop in light output vs voltage is exponential, even a voltage drop of 1V or so due to a poor ground is significant. Make sure you measure under load, so probe with the bulb plugged in and switched on.
  • That you're using a good quality upgrade bulb.

It'll never be at the level of modern cars with OEM LED lights, but it should the stock system should never be "shocking".
shinny

Post by shinny »

The only time I've experienced the stock headlights being "shocking" was when I'd picked up someone else's oil all over the front of my car. A quick wipe and they were back to normal.

One of the few issues with pop-up headlights is that they often are forgotten when washing the car and therefore build up more dirt on them than on other cars. I presume the OP has cleaned their lenses though :thumleft:
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

I've been using truck lites
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Truck-Lite-T ... 7675.l2557

They're very expensive but...

They're pretty good. Low beam has a cut off at the correct height so it doesn't blind people. Full beam is very bright and significantly better than the raybrigs and nightbreakers they replaced.

They're not as good as the HIDs as I have in an RX400, but they're a healthy upgrade over Raybrigs.

Echo the above though, got to keep the flat lens fronts clean or the brightness deteriorates quick noticeably.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I've been running PIAA bulbs in Raybrig housings for a while and I was pretty impressed how well they worked for halogens.

Then I saw a japanese dude on instagram with some raybrig LED bulbs, after searching the raybrig website these appear to be SW20 specific although I'm not sure if they only work in the raybrig housings. Not sure why they wouldn't because they are marked as a H4 bulb.

I ended up buying a set from croooober

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7TnFBrn2VR ... _copy_link

Unfortunately if you check out my other insta posts I won't be fitting them for a little while haha
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Race Idiot wrote:I've been running PIAA bulbs in Raybrig housings for a while and I was pretty impressed how well they worked for halogens.

Then I saw a japanese dude on instagram with some raybrig LED bulbs, after searching the raybrig website these appear to be SW20 specific although I'm not sure if they only work in the raybrig housings. Not sure why they wouldn't because they are marked as a H4 bulb.

I ended up buying a set from croooober

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7TnFBrn2VR ... _copy_link

Unfortunately if you check out my other insta posts I won't be fitting them for a little while haha

mmmmmmm interesting..... :thumleft:
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Mike

Post by Mike »

I used to do a lot of cross-country (as in Somerset to Norfolk) night time driving in my MR2 and the combination of halogens in a low car wasn't great when every new German repmobile or lifestyle 4x4 seemed to be engaged in some kind of lighting battle with everything else on the road.

In the end I bought a set of Raybrig lenses (didn't take too long from Japan) and bought what was at the time the best halogen bulbs on the market which back then was Osram Nightbreakers. The combination of clear lenses and the Nightbreakers made a huge difference. I'm sure that LEDs or xenons in projectors would be brighter, but the plus side for me was it also looked standard. Its subjective of course but these are good looking cars straight out of the factory and the pop-up lights are all part of what makes the MR2 stand out.
platmatt8

Post by platmatt8 »

Can anyone point me to the correct raybrigs on eBay.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

they the same as this? https://gt4-play.co.uk/shop/raybrig-head-lights

shame we cant get them from a UK seller like the above (out of stock :-( )

im down to do a group buy if anyone else would be?
mrhappy62

Post by mrhappy62 »

i think gavsdav has a pair for sale
platmatt8

Post by platmatt8 »

Ouch!! I'm not paying 300 for them.

I've seen some on eBay new from Holland for £100.

Shipped from Thailand but worried they are wrong projection.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

platmatt8 wrote:Ouch!! I'm not paying 300 for them.

I've seen some on eBay new from Holland for £100.

Shipped from Thailand but worried they are wrong projection.

Thailand drive on the left like us. So may be ok?
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I don't think Raybrig make stuff for LHD cars anyway?

Return to “Electrical”