Possible head gasket issue

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tiger Tim

Possible head gasket issue

Post by Tiger Tim »

Wonder have I a head gasket issue. Here's the story. MR2 MK1A is only used for car shows & vintage runs. When I return from a run the engine has pushed out about 2 inches of coolant into the expansion bottle. But when it cools down it only takes back about half an inch of coolant to the engine. Normally I just syphon out the coolant from the bottle the following day & pour back into the filler neck & repeat after every run. Compression is perfect in each cylinder & radiator, thermostat, filler cap & expansion cap have been replaced. Coolant has been bled correctly & idle is perfect & no sound of air in the pipes. I got my mechanic to detect any exhaust gasses in the coolant using his kit & nothing detected. Pressure must be getting into the cooling system. Not sure why the coolant isn't being pulled back into the engine. New cap is .9bar. Did a 60 mile run last Sat in quite hot weather & extra coolant was pushed out to expansion bottle & a little taken back. I found this time that I couldn't return the same amount of coolant to the filler neck so I'm guessing that there must now be some air in the system. I have a mark on the expansion bottle just above half way so I know what my starting point is. Anyone got any ideas?. Might be a head gasket job over the winter.

Thanks,

Tim
PW@Woodsport

Re: Possible head gasket issue

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Sniff tests aren't conclusive on 4a-ge engines, the HG breach can be so fine (usually around number 4 cylinder to water jacket) that it will only blowby exhaust gas under load.

The test i use is to carry out a leakdown test (just apply 50psi to each cylinder at TDC) with the coolant filler cap off, if there are bubbles then it 100% has a HG issue, if there are no bubbles then it passes.

Over the last 20 years this test and only this test has worked for me, hope that helps.
Tiger Tim

Post by Tiger Tim »

Thanks Paul, I read about your hollowed out spark plug on another thread. Was hoping it wasnt the HG but probably is. Will test.

Thanks,

T.
Tiger Tim

Post by Tiger Tim »

Haven't got around to doing the leakdown test yet. There was a lot of local shown on in my area last weekend & I used the car quite a bit. Did over 400 miles & no overheating issues. These are just my observations. I know the headgasket is probably gone but will keep doing this until I can afford to do it (or get around to doing the leakdown test firstly) .

As I mentioned previously when the engine cools down it doesn't take back in the coolant it sent out to the expansion bottle. I found that there is air each time in the rad after a run so I've being opening the filler cap then going to the rad & opening the tap on the rad very slowly until I hear the hiss of air escaping. Once air is expelled & I see coolant I close the tap & then I am able to syphon the coolant that has been expelled from the expansion bottle & back into the cooling system.

Will keep me on the road for a while,

Tim
Tiger Tim

Post by Tiger Tim »

Hi All,

Sick of watching the temp gauge & syphoning coolant from expansion bottle back into the system. As winter approaches I'll be putting the car off the road & will get the head gasket done. Getting a list together of parts I need. Anyone have a list?.

Head Gasket
Exhaust & intake manifold gaskets
Timing belt & water pump
Head bolts
Gasket where manifold joins exhaust?.
Anything else?.

Must check the BGB.

T.
jimzzr

Post by jimzzr »

Camshaft oil seals (and maybe do the one on the crank as well)
Timing belt tensioner
Various cam cover/bolt seals.

You'll also need a slim 12 point 10mm (I think) socket for the head bolts if you haven't got one. Maybe a tap to clean up threads

New oring for distributor (maybe do the internal seals if it's leaking)

Alternator belt?

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”