Squeaky Brake sound- Annoying AF

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

cableguy11

Squeaky Brake sound- Annoying AF

Post by cableguy11 »

Hi guys,

So im getting a very annoying squeaking sound coming off the front driver side wheel that seems to match how fast i drive the car.

It does it up to 12mph, over that speed, it stops. Also it stops squeaking as soon as I touch the Brake pedal.

I read online it might be the brake pads are running out. So i ordered some pads from Euro Car Parts, (Pagid brand) and they didnt fit.
While i had the caliper off, the existing pads looked new-ish with lots of meat on them, so i cleaned the caliper and put it back together and the squeaking stopped!.....for a few days, and now its back!

any one has any ideas?
Can it be low quality pads? if yes can anyone recommend decent pads at the correct size?

or the issue is something else?
abovetherim

Re: Squeaky Brake sound- Annoying AF

Post by abovetherim »

Pad size thing may be related to the year as rev 1 use smaller discs.

Now the squeak.... When you cleaned the brakes did you push the piston back in? Check the state of the dust seal. A good free caliper you should be able to push the piston in by hand with some force. If it requires a brake rewind tool it may benefit with using the pedal to push the piston out some but not so much as to pop it out. Then slide back the dust seal and clean. Then coat piston in ceratec or red silicon grease then push in.

Other cause could be sliders. Again clean and grease with ceratec or red silicon grease.
Don't use copper slip on sliders or pistons.

If you free up one side do the other side also so as to not cause an imbalance!
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

do the callipers have the 4 pad mounting clips and anti-squeal shims behind the pads and the springs to keep the pads apart?

it sounds like the pad is falling over and rubbing on the disc because it's not got some of the above?
cableguy11

Post by cableguy11 »

ah yes, it is a beautiful Jap REV 1 :D

A super edition too, which I cant find much on, looks like a handful were built, but thats a whole topic for another thread 8)

The piston was fine, pushed back fine, but i might give a proper clean and lube the bits up as you mentioned.

It also had everything there, the springs, the shims, the little metal things that tells you pads are running low.

might get a new kit with the shims and the springs as what you say about the pads rubbing on the disk does make sense.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

are the sliders moving freely also?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”