Markstevieandmads Budget Turbo Project: PART TWO

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

aussieGT

Re: Markstevieandmads Budget Turbo Project: PART TWO

Post by aussieGT »

It going to be an odd feeling to finally get it back on the road and drive it!
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

good work :thumleft:
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

MORE UPDATES:

So i continued today...

Tvis cleaned up and reinstalled with all pipework secured. Unfortuantely i made the error of using my impact driver to put a bolt back in which snapped but its only a bracket so cable tied up until i can drill it out and retap. All toyota oem gaskets used.

While paint and ancillaries was drying i decided to rub down the rusty looking fuel filler pipe and give it a coat of hammerite for a bit of protection...

BEFORE

AFTER

Also disconnected and removed the old gear linkages and replaced with the secondhand turbo ones i manage to get hold of.

Couldnt remember if i got the "classic" in the engine bay shot so got my daughter to take a pic (much to her amusement!)

It was nice to sit in the car once again!

Next was to clean up and install the alternator and brackets. Luckily after the cleanup the bearing noise disappeared so im guessing it was a bit of crud stuck somewhere.

I could probably do with painting some of the brackets but it was good to get this back on and all the bolts i bagged up all fitted perfectly back where they went.
Ive got a new belt to pickup when the local factors opens along with new denso spark plugs (used these before and i like them).

I continued on with cleaning up the gearbox and turned it over on the bench only for the rest of the left over trans oil go everywhere!!!

Ive cleaned it up as best i could and started painting it but its not taking the paint well. It also seems like this may not be the original box or if it is, has had some work done in the past as it has a lot of non-oem markings on it. Also the sealant doesnt look oem either.
Ive also turned the cube thing around in the linkage which should hopefully help out the 3rd to 4th crunch i occassionally got. It was very worn!

I also gave the cam cover and inlet manifold a coat of hammerite to tidy them up. Im not after concours standard!

(note pics taken before i installed alternator and tvis).
markstevieandmads

AND YET MORE DONE!!!

Yes....... i managed to get more done today so hung the exhaust manifold and turbo and downpipe today.

AND...thankfully the main reason all this began.... the exhaust stud that was repaired has held up well and torqued down to what its supposed to!!!

Also the oil filter was replaced for a new genuine one while the engine is out as its easier to get to.

All turbo gaskets are still toyota oem as was replaced when the hybrid turbo was fitted last year. Another new exhaust manifold gasket was used this time around too (genuine toyota oem too).

After bolting down some of the water feeds etc, it makes me wonder how the hell i managed to do the turbo swap with the engine in?!?! Bloody difficult access even with the engine out!!

Ive got the oil feed etc to fit yet but cleaning that up and need to work out where some of the wiring and hosing goes yet..... but its getting there and plan is to get the engine back in the car next weekend (weather dependant)...
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Keep it up!!! Nice one
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Nice to see this moving along now Mark :thumleft:
Looking good! Planning to take it to Japfest? I don’t think mine will be ready in time ](*,)

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494
markstevieandmads

I doubt its ready for japfest. Keep finding little odds and sods i want to sort while this is all being done.

In fact im not planning on any events this year however if its done then i will.

Still got mot to sort along with a tie bar at the rear thats bent too.
mrhappy62

Post by mrhappy62 »

Should be ready for Combe then :D
markstevieandmads

mrhappy62 wrote:Should be ready for Combe then :D

Will be going to combe though if not this one then my dads na.
If it is ready in time i will be giving the track sessions a miss and want to make sure im happy with her before letting rip.
markstevieandmads

MORE UPDATES:

So cracked on today and spent most of the day on it.
The father in law brought his car over for me to do the brakes but i pretty much ignore it and cracked on with mine lol.

Thought id start today with fitting the new alternator belt...nice and easy...

Next was cleaning up the turbo oil feed/return and fitting that. Only god knows how i managed to do the turbo swap with the engine in as i struggled like mad to get it back in with the engine out!

I managed to fit some of the electrical connections and pipework when i realised where they went. Also fitted the decat support and some of the bracket supports and gearbox mount.

Was going to fit my new genuine clutch bearing and exedy clutch

but then realised i was yet to fit the flywheel lol. So i cracked on by removing the engine from the engine stand using the crane and lowering it on to a spare tyre i had.
I then fitted the back plate for the flywheel then went ahead and snapped the small bolt inside :(
However its held in place by the gearbox bolts in most areas so im hoping it should be ok. So i continued and installed the newly resurfaced flywheel and new oem toyota flywheel bolts and torqued them up with some locktite as per the bgb.

Before i called it a day, i installed my new denso spark plugs.
Heres a pic of the old ones. They looked healthy enough to me.

So i got the brother in law coming round tommorow. We are gonna sort the father in laws brakes and then hopefully finish getting the new clutch in and then gearbox on.
I will need to find where some of these other electrical connectors go and ive got quite a few vacumn hoses and water hoses to fit along with the rest of the engine mounts.
If we get that lot done then maybe, just maybe, we may get the engine back in the car....

The little bags of bits are gradually disappearing as i fit them, the new parts ive stored are gradually turning into empty bags and boxes and im gradually getting closer to emptying my garage of car bits!

IM NEVER DOING THIS AGAIN!!!
mrhappy62

Post by mrhappy62 »

Keep up the good work Mate and see you at combe :clap:
markstevieandmads

MORE UPDATES:

Once the father in laws brakes were done we cracked on with mine....so on with the new exedy clutch and oem bearing

Then gearbox, starter motor and bits and pieces on (excuse the unfinished paint on the gearbox. I ran out lol)

We got the car up high enough with the engine crane and secured on stands (the front lip has already been removed) and slid the engine/gearbox combo on my creeper right underneath.

As we removed the engine way back in August with the exhaust manifold and turbos removed, we needed to remove the firewall mount to give us a bit more room and then with a combination of lowering the car and lifting the engine we managed to get the engine in the right place.

We managed to get the intercooler side mount on and bolted. Unfortunately the bolt for the gearbox side mount just wouldnt tighten with the nuts i found so ive decided to buy all new mount bolts and nuts (going through the epc now) so i know ive got the right ones.

So this is where we left it. Its been raining all day so im soaked and so is the engine. It still up on stands but i now have a bit of space in the garage so hopefully find the rest of the parts i need.

We also managed to snap off the clutch cable support so will need to drill these out and refit with bolts and nuts.

I connected the hoses i could and electrical connectors i found so i feel im getting there.

Engine is held in at the mo with just the two mounts (left and right) so next will be to get all mount and subframe back on then should be getting somewhere!
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

awesome work, so much effort to drop/re-fit the engine. admire you doing it on the drive :thumleft:

was it a stage 1 exedy?
markstevieandmads

ANOTHER UPDATE:

Got a few more hours on it so got the other engine mounts mounted so its more secure now. Had to order some bolts from toyota (£32!!!!!) as they are all different and couldnt remember which was which. All have come except one but luckily had the missing one anyway. Cant get one of the rear firewall bolts for the mount in. Will need to jiggle about with that later.

Also sorted the wiring and rethreaded through the boot wall and connected up the ecu and other relays again in the boot. Ive also got the coil and injector pack in the right place as well as the fuse box now so they just need bolting up.
I managed to find a new coil as well to install as well as my old one had cracks in the side though it was ok when i took it off.

Finally got the subframe back on after giving it a good wash with the jet wash too.

Just got to find one more bolt (why didnt i bag these up too?!?). If i cant find it then that will be another fiver from toyota. Im on first name terms with their parts guy now!!

Ive also bought another rear tie rod arm as the drivers side one i took off was bent (suspect when it fell off the jack a year or so ago).
The arms can go back in next and it will be able to sit on its own wheels again.
Ive noticed the drop links have got damaged while the sub frame was off so will order new ones of these.

One thing ive learned is i should have labelled up and bagged the bolts clearer as ive found ive lost quite a few and toyota isnt cheap!

Anyway, slowly getting there.....chipping away....
markstevieandmads

MORE UPDATES:

Unfortunately no pics today as it was raining and was in and out of the garage but got the following done after doing , this time, the mother in laws window motor (arent those focus cc's crap?!?!?!?)...

Rear firewall mount last bolt installed.
Both driveshafts installed.
Fusebox connected up.
Repaired gear linkage bracket and mounted.
Rear arms mounted to sub frame and installed.
Rear tie arms (and new one on drivers side) installed.
Hubs now all done and back on its wheels.

I need a few new parts and bits ordered from toyota such as gear linkage clips and split pins and i need to order the last subframe bolt as i cant find it anywhere. I suspect they are somewhere in the garage but even with the engine and all the parts reinstalled its still a mess!! So easier to just order new lol. Ive been on the epc so have the part numbers i need.
Ive also noticed that both drop links are split so ordered a set of ebay specials for these. Im not gonna pay £50 when i can get them for £17.95 for a pair.

I need to sand down one of the gear linkage pins as i cant slide one of the bearings on. I suspect this is the same reason i couldn't get the old one off.

Exhaust is next to go on then all the little bits and bobs such as the left over vacumn hoses, water pipes, electrical connections and earth wires.

I need to replace the coil with the new one i have and remount too.

Then hopefully its new fluids and we can try and start her up again....
androo007

Post by androo007 »

So close!!!
markstevieandmads

MORE UPDATES:

Lovely weather today so thought id crack on...

Got the car jacked up and secured on stands and wheels off and installed the new ebay drop links on both sides....

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Also got the driveshaft bolted up on the passenger side and used a new split pin to secure.

And i got the 10mm nuts and washers secured on the water connection on the turbo which i forgot to do while the engine was out.

I then supported each side of the engine underneath with the jack and installed the rubber mounts for the left and right engine mounts and replaced the bodged bolts with the proper nuts and bolts i bought from toyota.
This was a bit of an effort by myself but with the jack and a big bar i managed it.

Also swapped round some water pipework i realised was wrong and reconnected the fuel line on the top of the fuel filter.

I disconnected the current coil ready to clean up the bracket and swap it over with the new coil i have. The screws look rusted but im hoping it will come apart or the drill will need to come out. I will also clean up the back of the bracket and clean up the area it mounts on the bodywork for a good earth.

This is how i left it:

The list of things left off the top of my head:

Collect the subframe bolt supplied by Mullen and install.

Install the chargecooler pump and reconnect wiring for this
Check the vacumn lines and reinstall chargecooler core ,pipework and reconnect to turbo and throttle body along with the throttle cable bracket and throttle cable.

Reconnect and install the ignitor and new coil.

Connect up all the remaining earths and check that all wiring plugs are connected now.

Install AFM and pipework

Fill all fluids

Connect gear linkages

Connect up new clutch line and bleed clutch

Attempt to start her up!!!

As the weather should be good tommorow im hoping to get at least half of this list done tommorow.

Hopefully get her running by the weekend....
markstevieandmads

MAJOR UPDATE:

So this weekend my goal was to get the engine fired and running.... here we go......

Had to use the angle grinder on the old coil to prise it off and then tried to use tons of wd40 and pliers to get off the old screws which only worked on one screw so ended up cleaning up the bracket of rust and then drilling out the old bolts. Got the new coil mounted and then back on the car.

Chargecooler was then mounted to gearbox (ive noticed this is going to cause access issues when i come to do the gearbox oil :( )

Got all the earths connected and most of the water pipes done except i had one spare... it turns out i left off the metal bracket that bolts behind the starter motor along the block. Rather than disconnect everything i made a joining hose up and got that reconnected too (the old metal water piping was rusted and corroded anyway!).

Gear linkages was installed with new bearings, afm connected and charge cooler connected.

Filled the engine with new shell 10w 40 and checked on dip stick. GOOD. Put a jerry cans worth of new vpower in the tank and took out the efi fuses and tried to turn her over to get the oil circulating.
YES!! She turned over fine!

After about 10 seconds i plugged the fuses back in and turned the key. She chugged and chugged and though id give her a bit of throttle when i realised i hadnt connected up the cable!! So i just carried on and a few more chugs and it burst into life!!! I let her run for 10 seconds or so as i hadnt out any coolant in and the exhaust was yet to be done. ALL GOOD!!!

So i cracked on and installed the exhaust back on

Unfortuantely the bolt i got off Mullen off here is still the wrong size as its about half an inch too long. I could space it out with washers for now but i have got one ordered from toyota though they did say it wont be here till about 4th May.

I got on and filled the coolant and chargecooler with red coolant (the appropriate coolant needed however my own mix of euro car parts red coolant as its the same as toyota red but ALOT cheaper).
The chargecooler filled up fine with no leaks but i have quite a large leak from the water tree where the sensors plug into on the gearbox side. I installed a brand new toyota gasket there so i am hoping its just a loose hose.

Anyway i fired it up again and she ran fine though it would stutter slightly on a hard throttle. Im guessing the timing needs adjusting so need to get a timing gun for this.
The other depressing thing was this whole engine out jobbie was started because of an exhaust manifold leak due to a faulty manifold stud and it sounds like its still blowing from around the manifold area!!! I torqued this up to spec while the engine was out but i may tighten this more to see if it will stop this. This means removing most of the chargecooler and heat shield again (i can keep the coolant lines connected at least).

Ive done a vid of the startup and running however imgur wouldnt accept it so heres a youtube link: (This is the second time i had it running with throttle cable and chargecooler installed)

https://youtu.be/lQuFZW-7y-Y

So now we are at least running and rolling the following needs sorting:

Gearbox oil needs filling
Clutch fluid need filling and clutch bleeding as pedal just goes to floor
Water leak needs tracing and rectifying
Once leak sorted then coolant needs refilling and bleeding
Exhaust blow needs tracing and repairing
Subframe bolt needs replacing for correct one
Check and adjust timing
Found a slight oil leak on the pipe from sump to block (needs new clip as current one not tight)
Interior needs refitting (centre console and gear knob)
Full check over & MOT!!!

Then.....

Bodykit needs repairing,repainting and refitting (MRD Style side skirts, PP Style Rear Spats & Bomex Front Lip)
Alloys needs repainting and possibly spacers added for better stance.

I will then be ready for JDMCombe!!!

Its been a good day to actually get it turned over and running. I then got a little down-heartened when i discovered the major leak and exhaust leak. Im hoping this can be rectified as easily as possible though it looks like parts are gonna need removing again.... oh well.... one step forward, three steps back seems common when working on this car !!!
markstevieandmads

UPDATE:

Reminder to myself.....when installing things on to the block, make sure the gasket is aligned!!! The bro in law came round and spotted it straight away so had to remove the afm and the chargecooler again to gain access (now only a ten minute job after you have done it hundreds of times) , we then realigned the gasket and bolted everything backup again.
While the chargecooler core was off i took off the heat shield and retorqued all the exhaust manifold nuts (a couple were a little loose) and then reinstalled everything and now the leak has gone!

Still sounds like a bit of a blow through the exhaust but i did check the oil and it was very low (guessing the oil has started to be pumped round the engine) and the head has been rebuilt so im hoping with more oil and a bit of 'sooting up' it will sort itself...according to the bro in law its not bad at all and i maybe just looking for faults lol.

Hes coming back round on wednesday so we can bleed the clutch. If the weather is ok then i plan on bleeding the coolant and chargecooler tommorow and filling the gearbox oil.

Fingers crossed (if i can either find another subframe bolt or space out the one i have with washers for the time being), i can get an mot done within the next week or so and then i can move on to getting the bodykit repaired,repainted and fitted ready for the summer.

Lets hope i dont find anything else wrong as i havent ran it for long yet or taken it for a little run.
markstevieandmads

MORE UPDATES:

Managed to get more done. I need to crack on as ive booked the car in for its mot on tuesday morning.

Gearbox oil done.

Coolant leak sorted and ive noticed there is a couple of oil leaks. Looks like just loose clips and found the new sump that had been fitted was loose so tightened this and this has stopped the leaks there.

Coolant filled and bled now and no more leaks.

I found i had wired the chargecooler in wrong and put what should have been a positive connection to an earth instead. I can now hear the pump working but there doesnt seem to be any movement in the coolant in the core?

Also got the clutch bled. We was trying for ages and had fluid coming out to where the new braided hose is connected but the pedal was just hitting the floor when pushed and wasnt going back up without assistance from my foot.
In the end we found we had to bleed it and reset the piston in the cylinder back and then all is now good.

So, with the mot now booked for next tuesday the list is getting less....

Check chargecooler is working correctly

Sort out the subframe bolt

Remount the chargecooler pump as it had to come off to fill the gearbox oil.

Find the exhaust blow. (Sounds like its coming from the damaged/repaired stud area so will try and tighten this area more).

Renew the clips on the leaky oil pipes.

We also ran the car through the gears on stands (i know - not the best way to do it) and checked all gears are ok which they are. No funny noises etc except from the rear brakes as the brake discs are very rusty so im hoping a good run will sort that noise.
Also noticed that it only seems to be boosting to 0.4bar(ish). I didnt give it much beans but it seems im low on boost.

We have adjusted the timing to 10 degrees as per bgb and since we did this ,it seems like its idling a bit lower than normal. Im wondering if i got a vacumn leak somewhere as it does hunt a little and seems like it will stall after a bit of throttle though it doesnt.

Little niggly things now and it is driveable so im getting close....

Return to “Member Profiles”