Body kit paint prep

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

spikkey

Body kit paint prep

Post by spikkey »

Hi peeps
I am in the progress of welding up the usual sill damage and fitting side skirts.
The query I have is that the side skirts have came in a white gel coat finish and I am wondering how you guys prepare them for paint as I would think they are far to smooth for paint adhesion as they are.
Can I have the benefit of your experiences please.
Cheers
markstevieandmads

Re: Body kit paint prep

Post by markstevieandmads »

I just rubbed mine down with a bit of wet and dry to give something for the paint to adhere to. Then wiped down with pre wipe and sprayed with primer,paint then laquer if needed.

I only used rattle cans and they came up well though i will be attempting a proper job on them soon.
spikkey

Post by spikkey »

Thanks for the reply.
I thought as much Wet and dry it is then to give the primer something to adhere too then super red followed by lacquer for some shine.
Should be good enough for the moment anyway.
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

If no reshaping or evening out needs to be done and you are just keying for primer then a course scotchbrite would do. But you can key with 400 wet and dry used wet. Then wipe down and dry thoroughly. wipe with panel prep and finally tack rag.
Then spray primer in thin coats building up 3 or 4 layers as this helps adhesion. Once the primer is dry sand it down dry with 600 paper then wipe with panel prep and tack rag. Then colour coat and laquer
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

I'm presuming rattle cans here. So you lacquer almost straight after base coat or let it cure?

On thing is you'll almost certainly need to wetsand the clear if using rattle can, so put a good few layers.
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

I did the wing on my panda with rattle cans. You can go straight on to flashed off base with the clear but I found d it better to let the base cure then hit it with 800 wet then clean off, tack and clear.
For the clear I used an advertised as 2k in a can. First coat dust and let flash then second coat med And flash but still tacky the. Third coat real heavy to flow quite flat.

Don't get me wrong I have got better results with a cheap gun but the wing came out ok with a buff
spikkey

Post by spikkey »

Cheers guy's ,thanks for the replies. :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”