Oil Leak MR2 Turbo

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Madabout

Oil Leak MR2 Turbo

Post by Madabout »

Evening all I recently picked up a MR2 Turbo and there is oil dropping from what I believe to be off the right hands side of the gearbox. Photo attached of the area where the oil is dripping from:

In the photo the oil is dripping from the right hand side as mentioned. If I look from above the area seems below the turbo, manifold, etc.

I'm pretty sure it's oil as with a bit of paper left underneath the colour is a light brown.

Any help, advice, experience you've had of what the issue could be.

I've checked around the cam cover and it feels dry on the edges. However on researching here found out the screws in and around the cam cover hold it tight. With a Philips screw driver before dusk I did find some of these a bit loose and easy turned with the screw driver to a 'soft tight.' I didn't over tighten for fear of rounding the screws.

Could it be this although as mentioned the edges of the top of the block near cam cover seem dry. How tight should the cam cover be with these screws. Would it be loose if I could do as mentioned above?

Looking at the design I'm going to order some hex bolts anyaway as seems a better solution.

There is no smoke from either inside the engine with the oil leaking spitting into the manifold, while the oil level seems ok and oil cap seemed fine when checked.

The previous owner did replace the dizzy Im told but no receipt and I don't know if the seal was changed or not.

Any ideas on where the oil could be tracking from to be dripping at the point shown?

Thanks in advance.
androo007

Re: Oil Leak MR2 Turbo

Post by androo007 »

I have the same and in my case it looks to be crank seal. Have a look to see if it's wet behind the flywheel cover.
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

Thanks. I've taken another look and was wondering about that flywheel cover as mine is a bit bent in shape so not a flush finish where it's bolted on.

Crankshaft seal sounds expensive if that's the case :( How easily fixed is that?

Checking the flywheel cover I think the oil could be dopping as you say from behind there and running to where I saw the drops on the gearbox or to in front. Looking again this morning it's quite moist oil film in front of the cover (couldnt get behind it) and shining the phone light up shows that moist oil film above the flywheel cover onto other parts.

Do you think it's worth a punt first on the cam cover gasket seeing as screws were loose as mentioned or based on experience would the oil track that way? I've had bad oil leaks on other cars before that have been a cam cover gasket issue but new to mr2s. I was thinking of starting there with a new cam cover gasket inner and outer with the hex bolts so I know that's right.

However if those screws on the cam cover can be a bit loose then maybe wasting my time if oil doesn't track that way to where I'm seeing it drop from.

As you expect this oik leak/drop is only occuring when the engine runs. Stops when engine is switched off and oil level looks ok.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

If your going to do the cam bolts and gasket anyway do that first, don't forget a little RTV sealant in the corners of the three cam caps.

Clean the underside with brake cleaner and inspect after a few miles.

Rear crank seal is gearbox off, the seal itself is easy to change.
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

gnzyza wrote:If your going to do the cam bolts and gasket anyway do that first, don't forget a little RTV sealant in the corners of the three cam caps.

Clean the underside with brake cleaner and inspect after a few miles.

Rear crank seal is gearbox off, the seal itself is easy to change.

Thanks for the info. Appreciated.

Yesterday I ordered from MR2-Ben a new cam cover gasket, dizzy o-ring and the hex stainless steel bolts to replace the phillips screws. Going to do this first, see if I can find a new throttle body to camcover gasket too (just so I know it's ok) as by the sounds of things the hex bolts will be a worthwhile upgrade anyhow.

When I do that like you say with brake cleaner I clean the engine down after and see what happens.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

To be honest there's lots of places it could be.... best bet is as you say - clean it all down then try and trace a fresh drip :thumleft:
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

The engine was rebuilt about 8000 miles ago and whilst no receipts the rest of the spec checks out so hoping it is something simple.

I am going to fit the new cam cover gaskets with the mr2-ben stainless steel bolts to replace the phillips screws as these were a little loose. I will also replace the dizzy o-ring while also got a throttle body gasket on route as if I am taking the cam cover off might as well put a new throttle body gasket on too.

Hopefully I get this done end of this week.
Ginjaninja92

Post by Ginjaninja92 »

Good call doing the cam cover gasket, it's worthwhile doing if even it wasn't the source of your current oil leak.

My Rev 3 turbo has multiple oil leaks, one was cam cover, one was from the stock oil cooler which sits under the exhaust manifold, one is from the main crank seal, one might be turbo feed or return.

As has been said, clean it all up as best as possible so you can trace it up the block.

Also, what do you mean by flywheel cover?
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

Ginjaninja92 wrote:Good call doing the cam cover gasket, it's worthwhile doing if even it wasn't the source of your current oil leak.

My Rev 3 turbo has multiple oil leaks, one was cam cover, one was from the stock oil cooler which sits under the exhaust manifold, one is from the main crank seal, one might be turbo feed or return.

As has been said, clean it all up as best as possible so you can trace it up the block.

Also, what do you mean by flywheel cover?

Thanks for the help.

Yeah I also had the throttle body gasket to the cam cover turn up today from TCB Parts. Whilst its not a oil gasket figured if I am having to open that might as well stick a new gasket in.

Mine is a Rev3 turbo but at some stage of its life had a Rev 2 turbo engine fitted so runs Rev 3 engine management, Rev3 turbo, injectors, etc. but with a Rev2 engine. The engine although not receipted has been refreshed about 8000 miles ago with ARP bolts, cometic head gasket, ACL race shells, new valves, etc.

I thought the flywheel cover was the cover plate to the right of the transmission (I am guessing in my photo :?: ). Oil is dripping when engine running from the transmission but I think tracking from that cover and coming from higher up as when I checked the other day its a misty, moist film on that cover plate looking up the engine.
Last edited by Madabout on Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

To hopefully bring some conclusion to this in case anyone else has similar and seeks advice through the search function.

I replaced the cam cover gasket, dizzy o-ring, fitted MR2-Ben cam cover bolts and a throttle body gasket.

When I removed the throttle body I noticed this gasket was missing and only sealant used so probably not ideal. When stripping the cam cover off I also noticed oil build up where the engine is tilted at the back and the cam cover gasket was quite brittle. On removing the dizzy o-ring seal this was particularly brittle and snapped when coming off. The cam cover screws were also loose.

Changed all parts, checked timing marker and crawled under car and sprayed a bit of brake cleaner over the area where oil had been dripping.

I ran the car up for about 30-40 minutes and to begin with where I had sprayed the brake cleaner it dripped quite a bit. This then cleared, got 2 drops of oil and last 5 or 10 minutes nothing so think compared to the constant drip I had there may still be a bit of residue oil spillage dripping off but the above work fingers crossed has sorted the issue.

I would recommend the MR2-Ben bolts as the screws to begin I don't think are the best in creating a tight seal.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”