Should odd MOT mileage history ring alarm bells?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2_maverick

Should odd MOT mileage history ring alarm bells?

Post by mr2_maverick »

Hey guys, I am new here. Looking to own an MR2 Mk2.

I have been looking at an MR2 advertised on autotrader (cant copy links since I am new) when looking at the MOT history the mileage record is odd. Maybe someone has not recorded it properly but it jumps up and down e.g. from 120,000 kms to 25,000 kms. The reg is L8DLN. If you select any distance on autotrader and look for a green mk2 you will see it.

Can a g-limited also have its odometer set to kms and speedometer set to mph?

is this something that should bother me? I think someone has just replaced the original kms speedo/odo with mph speedo and hasnt done a good job because the speedo reads the car travelling at just below 5 mph when stationary. :-k

Thank you.
aussieGT

Re: Should odd MOT mileage history ring alarm bells?

Post by aussieGT »

The record of that milage flaps around more than a dogs broken hind leg!

I'd guess that previous owner(s) have tried to swap the clusters over for a MPH one with varying degrees of success on more than one occasion. Dealer must be a K-Nob to say in his ad "Low milage" when the milage could hardly be called accurate.

That stands in your favour though as a haggling point - most people say buy on condition not milage for these cars. So have a good dig around the car for rust or it doing a banana impression (that means a bent chassis) as they are your biggest enemies. Engines and drives lines for n/a's are not hard to find and not overly expensive if yours fails.

Serious rust and bent MR2's are reasons to walk away. That car looks ok in the pics, but would never recommend a car on pics alone! Well, thats my opinion anyway.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Seems quite clear to me,

25,xxx is missing a '1' making it 125,000

13xxx is missing a 0 making it 130,000

If you see that actually all mileage flows as you'd expect pretty spot on. Looks like it's an entry error on the mot machine.

I'd believe the actual mileage to be the last (135k or whatever)
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

^ that makes sense too, but the MOT history lists miles and kilometres so its a bit confusing.

Looking at the pics of the car someone has laid a mph/kph face over the speedo - the hole for the odometer isn't big enough so that could be why the records go from 10'000's to 100,000's and back again.

Still, good haggling points for a buyer.
phaeton

Post by phaeton »

My other questions would be where was it from 2006 until 2008, online MOT started 2006 so it's also got 2 years missing, the speedo you can see it has 3807 displayed, but the MOT mileage is 134,427 so how does that figure unless it's now done 138,7xx which although not low mileage isn't that bad for a 23 year old car. As said approach with caution, ensure it is the car it's supposed to be check VIN plates & chassis stamps, then buy on condition, as it is an import just check your insurance as it maybe higher.
Draven

Post by Draven »

As above, I would certainly use that as a bargaining chip, with these cars the age they are I would be buying on condition go through the car thoroughly and look for rust, check oil colour check the tyres see what brand/condition they are in budget tyres generally put me off as it shows how the car has been maintained.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

It would raise a few questions, but strange MOT mileage history can be explained, several possible scenarios have already been mentioned above.

If the car is straight, looked after, then I wouldn't worry. Number one thing is to buy on condition based on what's in front of you.
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

Thank you for the reply. I was just after some opinions before I make a 60 mile trip to see the car. Are the sills and wheel arches the places to look for rust? Mr2s are low it's hard to see anything else under the body unless ramped up. I have very limited experience in buying cars so will the guide in the 'mr2 for sale section' be a sufficient assessment?

Another issue I can think of is incorrect speed reading and the rare deadly speed cameras that get you at +2 mph. I guess the speedo will need fixing.

Cheers.
Draven

Post by Draven »

Sills are the biggest killer. top of the windscreen as well but this is quite easy to see. :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”