Rev1 Turbo.[Engine oil+filter change] - Tips?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

kurkjones

Rev1 Turbo.[Engine oil+filter change] - Tips?

Post by kurkjones »

Hi all, anyone recommend a good oil, not bothered on price - no sacrifice for good oil.
First time doing a change on the MR2 so just looking for some heads up, also a decent oil filter to change too?
It's a Rev1 and I am of the understanding the filter is just under the heat shield around the exhaust manifold on the O/S of the car, or is this wrong? I've not had a proper look myself.

Thanks.
Toyota MR2 - 3S-GTE - 1991 Turbo - Yellow
androo007

Re: Rev1 Turbo.[Engine oil+filter change] - Tips?

Post by androo007 »

I got a chain remover for filters where they have been put on over tightened. Always check you can loosen off quarter/half turn before you drain the oil or you'll be stumped.

Genuine filter is best, and I use millers oil :thumleft:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

androo007 wrote:I got a chain remover for filters where they have been put on over tightened. Always check you can loosen off quarter/half turn before you drain the oil or you'll be stumped.

Genuine filter is best, and I use millers oil :thumleft:

Good advice, i used to use the screwdriver method but i bought an audi a3 tdi a few years back and the filter was super tight, couldn't get it off and couldn't drive the car to get hold of what was needed to remove it, luckily i had access to a second car, lol
Also that method is super messy #-o
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

For years I used to do the screwdriver method before investing in some half decent tools.

One of theses is good if you don't have enough access to get the strap/chain wrench on

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-8-1-2-Squar ... Swh-1W4Ahz
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

tiff_lee wrote:For years I used to do the screwdriver method before investing in some half decent tools.

One of theses is good if you don't have enough access to get the strap/chain wrench on

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-8-1-2-Squar ... Swh-1W4Ahz

I've used one of these for years, once it locks on, never had any issues.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Getting an oil filter off for the first time when it's been overtightened is a right pain, but when you put the new one on, don't overtighten it. Then you should just be able to undo it by hand in the future.

Why people overtighten them, I'll never know, but it's always the bloody way it seems!
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”