[Mk2] [Turbo] GT4 Chargecooler Pump Location

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

markstevieandmads

[Mk2] [Turbo] GT4 Chargecooler Pump Location

Post by markstevieandmads »

Ive decided to fit my pump in the location on passenger side under the main light.
There seems to be a couple of holes spare where i can mount the support bracket where i removed the aircon condenser thing.

However which way up would be best to mount the pump to allow it to work at its best?

Also does the pipes have to be plumbed a certain way?
Does it go from core to pump to rad back to core? Also i have a small white bottle which im guessing is some sort of expansion bottle. Where does this go?

I will be taking a main feed from the frunk fusebox and running a relay for the pump from ignition live. Will this be ok?

Ive tried reading up on it but there doesnt seem to be a definitive answer.
Lefty1991

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] GT4 Chargecooler Pump Location

Post by Lefty1991 »

Mine is set up to pump from the core to the rad but that is because mine is mounted on the gearbox so has the head pressure from the core above to help the pump.
The expansion bottle connects to the port on the pressure relief cap on the core.
shinny

Post by shinny »

9. System flow - Pre rad > cold water out > pump (at lowest point) > chargecooler > tank/filler > hot water back to pre radiator.

10. Pump - the pump should be fitted to the lowest point in the system, on the cold side (to assist longevity) and have decent flow AND pressure capability, and maintain it.

From: http://www.chargecooler.co.uk/index.php ... age=page_3

Because you're fitting an ST205 core, your chargecooler core and tank / filler are one in the same.

I fitted my pump to a stainless steel cancer bar... not quite the lowest part of the system but nearly.

Thread here: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=185918
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

I did read through your post shinny.
I thought you had relocated your pump....maybe that was someone else.

Im thinking maybe putting it in the charcoal canister position as thats going anyway.

Also id have thought the water would be warming up again after running through the pump? My guess was core to pump to rad then staright back to core. However if the way you describe has been done and it works then i will do what you suggest.

Is there anyway to tell what is the cold and hot entry and exit points of the gt4 rad (top or bottom)?

Also is there an easy way to identify the cold and hot entry points on the pump and the core?
shinny

Post by shinny »

markstevieandmads wrote:I did read through your post shinny.
I thought you had relocated your pump....maybe that was someone else.

That was my relocation... my pump used to hang on the gearbox.

markstevieandmads wrote:Im thinking maybe putting it in the charcoal canister position as thats going anyway.

No reason why not... unless you want the pump to be controlled by the GT4 ECU, because that's a long way to bring the wiring. If you're not interested in the ST205 ECU, then knock yourself out.

markstevieandmads wrote:Also id have thought the water would be warming up again after running through the pump? My guess was core to pump to rad then staright back to core. However if the way you describe has been done and it works then i will do what you suggest.

It's not my advice, it's copied straight from the link.

markstevieandmads wrote:Is there anyway to tell what is the cold and hot entry and exit points of the gt4 rad (top or bottom)?

Also is there an easy way to identify the cold and hot entry points on the pump and the core?

You want counter-current flow through the core... so cold water in the side closer to the throttle body (basically underneath the filler cap) and warm water out of the side closer to the turbo.

I forget the exact way round the pump is... I think the in is on the pump's axis and the out it the tangential port. Toxo's thread likely specifies it.
Lefty1991

Post by Lefty1991 »

shinny wrote:You want counter-current flow through the core... so cold water in the side closer to the throttle body (basically underneath the filler cap) and warm water out of the side closer to the turbo.

Shinny, I read some posts saying that it made bleeding a problem having the cold flow under the cap, is that the way yours is and any issues?
shinny

Post by shinny »

Lefty1991 wrote:
shinny wrote:You want counter-current flow through the core... so cold water in the side closer to the throttle body (basically underneath the filler cap) and warm water out of the side closer to the turbo.

Shinny, I read some posts saying that it made bleeding a problem having the cold flow under the cap, is that the way yours is and any issues?

I don't find bleeding to be a major problem. Anyway, your intercooler is a performance part - I'd rather have a trickier setup for a better result than an easy setup that knowingly reduces its capability.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countercurrent_exchange

One tip.... the GT4 manual tells you to fill the system with the pump running. The system actively sucks in coolant from the reservoir as the pump starts, so get the fluid flowing and then fill. I strongly recommend having the pressure cap on before stopping the pump, or it will eject coolant at you.
Lefty1991

Post by Lefty1991 »

shinny wrote:
Lefty1991 wrote:

I don't find bleeding to be a major problem. Anyway, your intercooler is a performance part - I'd rather have a trickier setup for a better result than an easy setup that knowingly reduces its capability.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countercurrent_exchange

One tip.... the GT4 manual tells you to fill the system with the pump running. The system actively sucks in coolant from the reservoir as the pump starts, so get the fluid flowing and then fill. I strongly recommend having the pressure cap on before stopping the pump, or it will eject coolant at you.

Thanks shinny I'll swap my hoses over and see if there is a difference

Return to “Modifications”