Smoke from ECU

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dark_uk

Smoke from ECU

Post by dark_uk »

Hi all,

After replacing the clutch I made an whoopsie and connected the engine earth to the starter live. On first start we noticed the temp gauge go to max and then smoke from the boot. The car has since been wired correct and starts and runs however.

The alt isn't charging and there is no speedo or reverse light.

A component looks to have burnt out, it comes out of the loom right before the ECU and is a red and silver dotted wire. I can add images yet as not made enough posts.

Does anyone know what this could be?
outrun

Re: Smoke from ECU

Post by outrun »

The speedo, alt and tps are all connected and terminate at one of the white plugs in the engine bay fuse box.

Test the black and yellow (iirc) wire between them for continuity. As that is a common failure point.
Usually caused through age/wear and tear, not a smoking ecu from sending 12v through your grounds, mind!
Rev 2 GT - Forged Rev 3 Conversion
Nic

Re: Smoke from ECU

Post by Nic »

dark_uk wrote:A component looks to have burnt out, it comes out of the loom right before the ECU and is a red and silver dotted wire. I can add images yet as not made enough posts.

Does anyone know what this could be?

It'd help to know what MR2 model it is.

Do you mean there is something spliced into the wiring loom? If so it's most likely either a km-mph speedo converter (if Japanese) or fuel cut defended (if turbo).
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”