Tyres & Waxoil

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

fahad1417

Tyres & Waxoil

Post by fahad1417 »

my front tyres are due a change, on a turbo will any brandnew set of tyres suffice? i dont do much hard driving just now and then. also as winter is here, what do you all think about undersealing the car?
Rob

Re: Tyres & Waxoil

Post by Rob »

Never buy cheap tyres for a mid engine car, especially a turbo unless you want to hit a kerb or worse.

Underseal on an import is sensible as it was never done for japanese market cars but make sure you aren't just putting it over surface corrosion or you will trap it in and incubate it. Also use an underseal that stays flexible - most dry hard, crack with the flexing of the body and let water into the cracks.
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

What size alloys your running as this will limit type of tyres available especially if they are standard 15s

Im running 16s and bought some toyo tr1s for the rear. So much better than the brand new nexens that the car came with.
I will be replacing the fronts with the same tr1s when they are due.

Used the above setup at combe and was really impressed.

Dont drive the car in the wet if i can help it so couldnt give an opinion on how they handle in the wet.

Im removing my fuel tank this winter for a walboro pump install and doing a decat and chargecooler install so i will be taking the opportunity to underseal my turbo too. So im interested in the underseal question too.
fahad1417

Post by fahad1417 »

Iv got staggered 17s on mine, project D wheels. Came with uniroyal rainsport tyres all round which handled pretty well imo, both my back tyres got punctured at the same time and due to where i was at the time i went for brandnew goodride tyres which are budget tyres. Now front two need changing i want to get some decent tyres but nothing too expensive nor too cheap any reccomendations? As for waxoil any reccomendations on brand?
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

We just fitted new tyres on my sis' Mk2. It's an NA with standard wheels but bought Toyo T1Rs for them. I'd say good in the dry too - but in the wet I felt there's almost no warning before it goes - though they have better than average grip until that point (though I wouldn't trust even those tyres enough to push the car hard in the wet after what I felt to be honest). And that's an NA.

I've spun more times on cheap tyres in an MR2 than those with good tyres (3 to 1) - simply because people tend to fit new tyres when they're selling the car but they are usually cheap! Twice it's been bad enough I've bought better tyres whie the ones on the car were still pretty new. The one time I spun on good tyres, the turbo kicked in mid-roundabout when it was very wet. I blame myself for that. I really don't understand people fitting cheap tyres to a turbo MR2.

As for underseal, on my Mk1s I've taken time to apply POR-15, but it does take time! I tend to take my cars (not the runabouts!) to a bodyshop every couple of years and ask them to spray waxoyl underneath and in the cavities - usually just whatever they've got. It doesn't cost more than the waxoyl would cost me and they've usually got the proper kit to do it without also making a mess everywhere. Can't remember the cost though as it has actually been a couple of years since it was done, but I'm getting it done this year amongst lots of other work.
Ginjaninja92

Post by Ginjaninja92 »

I would recommend going with the uniroyal rainsport 3. Very good tyre and very reasonably priced.
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

another vote for Rainsport 3 here.

I put them on my saab and they p1$$ all over the continentals that were on it before for 1/2 the price.

I then put them on the front of my 2 and am considering going up a profile on the rears of my 2 just so i can put rs3 on.

I even put uniroyal rain expert on my panda and that transformed the handling of that.

Check out Camskill for good prices on Uniroyals
simpson_eh

Post by simpson_eh »

+1 on the rain sport 3 have them on mine and even put the m on the runaround aswell :)
If you see an MR2 with a raised engine cover, the bottom line is it's probably faster than your car.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Just had mine very thoroughly waxoyled… £40 family rate.

Prevention is a lot better than the cure...
MR2Kyle

Post by MR2Kyle »

Another for the rain sports :thumleft: also just after getting the car undersealed with dintrol that's ment to be better than waxol. And the procedure for them applying it seemed pretty good to me. Cost £500 but for the service I got...job they done and the fact they do a yearly checkup then for free I think it's well worth it! Check it out. Dintrol applicators in Scotland and you will find the crowd :thumleft:
Mk1b 1989 Mica Blue
Mk2 rev3 1993 NA Turquoise
Mk2 rev5 1999 Cosmos Blue with st215 conversion 😉
MR2Kyle

Post by MR2Kyle »

http://www.preserveprotect.co.uk/about/4589517364

Also explains why dintrol is apparently better than waxol. Have a look :thumleft:
Mk1b 1989 Mica Blue
Mk2 rev3 1993 NA Turquoise
Mk2 rev5 1999 Cosmos Blue with st215 conversion 😉
archangel

Post by archangel »

Yup I like rainsports too.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”