Gold Heat Wrap

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

fahad1417

Gold Heat Wrap

Post by fahad1417 »

Now this is a rookie question, I see alot of your cars with some pipes wrapped in gold heat wrap. What are the benefits of this? And which pipes can I or should I wrap?
J-1

Re: Gold Heat Wrap

Post by J-1 »

Reflects heat pretty well I believe. However also doesn't allow the heat to dissipate quickly as its "holds" the heat.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

J-1 wrote:Reflects heat pretty well I believe. However also doesn't allow the heat to dissipate quickly as its "holds" the heat.

Pretty much this, probably more the latter Tbh so i wouldn't bother :eye:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Reflect a gold is very, very thin, I can't see it causing any heat retention issues at all. It is amazing at reflecting heat though - to the point that my cold pipe was welded with the tape in place, and the tape held up perfectly, even 10mm away from the weld area/tig torch.

There's a good reason it's used primarily on proper high end motorsport/race cars and has filtered through to the 'tuner' aftermarket - it's definitely not a gimmick
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

Except in real motorsport they use proper gold leaf, not sticky back fibreglass.
The logic is good though, it's very relfective so sends the infrared bouncing away quite well.

Was thinking of putting some on the underside of the exhaust and turbo heat shields, to improve the performance. Also on the rear cabin firewall to keep the heat away from the cabin.

Not sure if wrapping the ic->intake pipe in it would keep heat in the pipe or reduce head soak into the pipe. Would need to measure it.
Maybe a halfway house of only covering the underside would help reduce heat soak and prevent insulating a hot metal pipe?

Has anyone on here measured the temps before and after?
Ginjaninja92

Post by Ginjaninja92 »

Surely if you were gonne use it on anything it would be the IC cold pipe?
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

I think that is where people are looking to use it, yeh. But calling it a cold pipe is a bit odd, as it's warmer than ambient so it still has heat to radiate out, which the warp would prevent or restrict.

Lagging the parts of the cold pipe that face the engine, exhaust or turbo would be useful. While leaving the top open to the air for radiating internal heat away also.

Might look a bit odd but should work better like that.

Could also apply it to the underside of the inlet manifold, or the underside of the st205 charge coolers.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

The mr2 engine lid is like an oven door, on back to back tests (with and without) i guarantee identical cars would still be identical in speed, i would save money for other mods in all honesty :-k
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

I was looking at some 'gold' heat like this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOG-COOL-TAP ... 1615973427

to put on the bottom of my st205 chargecooler, although some pictures i've seen show people using stuff which is alot 'beefier' more akin to lagging
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

on the gt4oc there is a design for an aluminium heat shield that sits between the cam cover and the CC.

On the st185RC we installed it on, the CC went from being so hot you could cook eggs on it, to being able comfortably place a hand on the top without burning.

Nothing was directly stuck to the bottom of the CC but it could also help.
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

pbmr2 wrote:on the gt4oc there is a design for an aluminium heat shield that sits between the cam cover and the CC.

On the st185RC we installed it on, the CC went from being so hot you could cook eggs on it, to being able comfortably place a hand on the top without burning.

Nothing was directly stuck to the bottom of the CC but it could also help.

have you got a link please? all I can find is some aluminium lagging they wrapped the bottom half in
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

no, cos it's got a pay wall these days and don't have a gt4 so not a member any longer.

basically it was a template for a 2mm sheet alu' heat shield that bolted to some existing mounting points on the head. These kept an air gap between the CC and head/exhaust manifold and also stopped it vibrating.

This came up the other month and I searched my computer for the designs again, only to come up empty handed. Wouldn't take too long with a bit of cardboard and a pen to create a new template.

Was more than 10 years ago we installed this so the exact shape escapes my memory.
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

pbmr2 wrote:no, cos it's got a pay wall these days and don't have a gt4 so not a member any longer.

basically it was a template for a 2mm sheet alu' heat shield that bolted to some existing mounting points on the head. These kept an air gap between the CC and head/exhaust manifold and also stopped it vibrating.

This came up the other month and I searched my computer for the designs again, only to come up empty handed. Wouldn't take too long with a bit of cardboard and a pen to create a new template.

Was more than 10 years ago we installed this so the exact shape escapes my memory.

Ah explains why my google search was fruitless, well thanks for the info and something i'll look into.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

come to think of it, it was 1mm alu in a sandwich with a sheet of fibreglass in the middle. held together with some rivets. but you get the idea.

in fact just found a pic of one installed. hard to see but it's above the head, below the CC. made a surprising difference. the rear is flared up to allow heat to escape behind.

http://s80.photobucket.com/user/dawesy_ ... 7.jpg.html
blogsy

Post by blogsy »

I've covered my st205 chargecooler and other bits with this stuff, ZircoFlexIII. It's amazing. My engine is completely enclosed, I don't have a vented engine lid and I don't get any problems with heat. I actually get really good after chargecooler air temps. http://www.fastfoxperformance.com/zirco ... ield/c9304
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

C35Rob wrote:Reflect a gold is very, very thin, I can't see it causing any heat retention issues at all. It is amazing at reflecting heat though - to the point that my cold pipe was welded with the tape in place, and the tape held up perfectly, even 10mm away from the weld area/tig torch.

There's a good reason it's used primarily on proper high end motorsport/race cars and has filtered through to the 'tuner' aftermarket - it's definitely not a gimmick

All correct.

Just make sure it's the genuine mylar substrate and not cheap Chinese imitation tat.
ashley

Post by ashley »

https://www.designengineering.com/categ ... flect-gold

Used it on my induction pipe, and on the side of my turbo-to-charge cooler pipe that faces the engine, left the back half off just in case it does act as an insulator.

blogsy

Post by blogsy »

There you go, It's that good. :eye:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

I've also used the zircoflex stuff too, very good stuff. although by nature it definitely will cause heat retention..

in a CC above cam cover situation I'd liberally cover the cam cover in zircoflex, and the underside of the CC in reflect a gold.

it's pretty expensive stuff, but buy it once and it's done then you don't have to worry about it again :thumleft:
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
knightrider81

Post by knightrider81 »

That's a proper job something I will want to follow :thumleft:
Mk4 Supra Single Turbo
REV-5 TURBO 2000 Reg.
Ridox Supra.
Na Rev 3.
530bhp GTO MR 11.3 TOTB.
Ariso mk1.
S14x2
Vvti 5 speed 98 Turbo Soarer, v8 Soarer. LPG TT Soarer. 25g Turbo Soarer.
2j Soarer.
GTO TT
IS200 Sport
GTS 4door R33, JDM MAD!!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”