New wiper arms

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

pbmr2

New wiper arms

Post by pbmr2 »

Hey all,

Any idea where to get hold of a pair of new windscreen wiper arms for the mk2?

The springs on mine are weak and the paint has come off. Only found them in one shop online for £150+

TCB don't list them, or I can't see them. Maybe a phone call needed there.

Any points are most welcome :D
abovetherim

Re: New wiper arms

Post by abovetherim »

Amayama list them at £38 and £35 each but then you have to factor in shipping and duty etc

Also I used 85221-17051 and 85211-17051 that I got from Toyodiy for a rhd 92+ but can't say whether this is hook type or JDM type as the associated pic was JDM type. The part numbers for a jdm 93 were the same for LH but ending 040 for RH

So if you can get the hook type part numbers and can wait a couple of weeks then they may be able to help for a reasonable price.

Let me know if you place and order as i may want to get in on it and we can split the shipping???
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

Ben MR2 sells them. They are around £130+ they are oem. I got some for myself earlier in the year

https://www.mr2-ben.co.uk/products/496
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

I should have said if you don't know Amayama trading, they do oem parts and ship from Japan.

I used them to get a door lock micro switch before mr2ben was listing them and Mr T had them discontinued
rgb

Post by rgb »

I wouldn't bother . I bought a new set a few years ago and they wernt any better . mr2 wipers don't work after 80mph fullstop.
kirk

Post by kirk »

My drivers side arm isn't quite up to the job no more either. Someone somewhere must be able to make a new spring assembly for the arm to re-tension them.
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

I disagree they don't stay down. The only reason i changed my wiper arms was because they were rusty. I tell you this, buy wiper blades from Toyota not any of those nonsense aero blades or even Halfords boash wiper blades

The OEM wiper blades are the correct length and fitting. Try these first then report back. Toyota sell these for around £10, go to any Toyota parts department.
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

rgb wrote:I wouldn't bother . I bought a new set a few years ago and they wernt any better . mr2 wipers don't work after 80mph fullstop.

I don't find any problems with my rev3+ ones with the aero wing on the drivers side, that seems to keep it pushed down enough.

Not that i'd really want to be doing 80mph in weather where wipers would be needed.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

Odin_S wrote:Ben MR2 sells them. They are around £130+ they are oem. I got some for myself earlier in the year

https://www.mr2-ben.co.uk/products/496

yeah spotted them... 130+ quid for 2 wiper arms just seem far too expensive to me. Got new ones for a Jag the other month that cost half that!

maybe a can of spray and some new springs is the way to go?

Might get the ones above that could be jap spec, take the springs off them and fit them to the old ones. Then paint the old ones.

Someone must make springs that are close enough if cheap arms are not available?

Ho hum, the search continues.
cosmos

Wipers

Post by cosmos »

Wiper arms could try Trevor at TCB Performance parts, i bought Bosch aerowipes and seem really good there is an element of PTFE in the rubber mix and glide. 30% discount at eurocarparts before friday.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

arms, not wiper blades.

Not that impressed with the bosch flat ones but have had worse.
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Several years ago I asked Mr T about wiper arms cos they were just starting to rust and I was recommended to try Hammerite Black as new wiper arms were about 50 quid each.

On my next mr2 I sprayed them early.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

As someone said above, I've replaced them with NEW OEM arms and it didn't make a difference to the spring pressure. New arms doesn't stop wipers lifting.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”