David's Mitsubishi Evo 6 Import

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Draven

Re: David's Mitsubishi Evo 6 Import

Post by Draven »

Another little change

having got rid of my HKS system i've re-located the battery further back in the engine bay.

And got a new K&N Filter.

This puts it closer to the vent where the cold air comes in. It also looks more pleasing.

The silver cables running everywhere are extra grounding.
Draven

Post by Draven »

Also my battery is dead, I'm guessing the trip over from Japan and a year in the UK was too much for it. Planning on getting a new one with a little more power but a similar size.
Draven

Post by Draven »

Well devastation. :neutral: having not even really used to car since buying it last year. I got the car out over the weekend to drain and replace the oil.

I undo the drain plug let it drain and head inside. Come out to see a few little gold flecks in the oil. a :pale:

So that'll be big end bearing failure then. Car is off to the shop to have then engine rebuilt.

I'm very confused because the engine itself was running lovely no knocking, there was the common ticking from the lash adjusters but that went away after the car was warmed up. :cry:

I'm honestly a bit devastated.
JD

Post by JD »

:(

Sorry to hear that Dave. Are you going to going to get it run in on the dyno when it's all better?
Draven

Post by Draven »

JD wrote::(

Sorry to hear that Dave. Are you going to going to get it run in on the dyno when it's all better?

I haven't even thought that far ahead mate, I'm a bit numb from the whole thing really. I think I'll just get it sorted first then work it out from there.

Just really confused that they were no signs. I'm hoping fingers crossed that i've caught it early and it hasn't done any damage.
JD

Post by JD »

Draven wrote:
JD wrote::(

I haven't even thought that far ahead mate, I'm a bit numb from the whole thing really. I think I'll just get it sorted first then work it out from there.

Just really confused that they were no signs. I'm hoping fingers crossed that i've caught it early and it hasn't done any damage.

It'll be fine* :)

*I cannot confirm this
Draven

Post by Draven »

:thumleft: Well it is just the painful wait till the 5th of april for the garage to come and trailer the car away.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Draven wrote::thumleft: Well it is just the painful wait till the 5th of april for the garage to come and trailer the car away.

Such a shame as the car looked like a perfect example, hopefully the problem isn't from the bottom end...
If it is then good excuse for a rod job :-k , saying that i have an old friend with a new built bottom end from an evo 5, 2.3 stroker kit, 0 miles and just back from the builders, he bought an evo 10 mid build and sold the freshly painted body shell without an engine...

Hope it's not worst case scenario :pray:
Draven

Post by Draven »

Been quoted £600 to take the engine out and strip it down diagnose the issue, then it'll be the cost of the fix + a new oil pump @£300 then another £600 to put it back together again.

I've set aside £2500.
JD

Post by JD »

Draven wrote:Been quoted £600 to take the engine out and strip it down diagnose the issue, then it'll be the cost of the fix + a new oil pump @£300 then another £600 to put it back together again.

I've set aside £2500.

That is very sensible. I suppose there is no need to say this but don't fall into the trap of seeing this as an opportunity to do a monster build. Just get the car back on the road and driveable again. They're more fun when you can drive them! :lol:
Draven

Post by Draven »

JD wrote:
Draven wrote:Been quoted £600 to take the engine out and strip it down diagnose the issue, then it'll be the cost of the fix + a new oil pump @£300 then another £600 to put it back together again.

I've set aside £2500.

That is very sensible. I suppose there is no need to say this but don't fall into the trap of seeing this as an opportunity to do a monster build. Just get the car back on the road and driveable again. They're more fun when you can drive them! :lol:

I simply don't have the funds to do anything. My plans are simply locate the issue set it right put it back together. I have no desire for more power I've barely driven it in it's current guise.

If the pistons are damaged at all then I'll probably replace them with Forged ones but other than that everything else will be OEM.
Draven

Post by Draven »

Interestingly I had another look through the oil

Even kind of strained it through a piece of kitchen roll.

I can't see any gold flecks.. I didn't take a picture of it when it first came out of the car but i'm left scratching my head
Draven

Post by Draven »

I'm tempted to drop the oil that i've just put in to see if there are any flecks in that..

very confused
qwakers

Post by qwakers »

before you spend a load of money id change the oil and drive it for a couple of hundred miles, then drop the oil again and run it through a coffee filter.
Draven

Post by Draven »

qwakers wrote:before you spend a load of money id change the oil and drive it for a couple of hundred miles, then drop the oil again and run it through a coffee filter.

I'm nervous about driving the car. I'm just going to have the guys at the garage have a look, I don't want to make it worse.

I've asked them to drop the sump first and have a look. That will only cost a couple of hours labour if the bearings look good then they can just pop it back on again refill with oil and sorted, if not then will have to rebuild
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

If you still have the old oil, and it's not been contaminated (I.e drained into dirty containers etc) you could send a sample off for analysis which will give you a proper indication of what's in the oil, bearing materials etc.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

^Sensible option. No point in starting to strip down without solid evidence IMO :thumleft:
JLW

Post by JLW »

I think Robs right , that would be ideal and probably the most cost effective
situation, I feel your pain at the moment mate. I'm halfway though an
unplanned forged build :roll:

Hoping its not too sever pal.
Draven

Post by Draven »

The containers the oil went in were not clean. I didn't think about that prior to draining so I just used a mangy old bucket to drain it. God for all i know there was gold type crap in the bottom of the bucket.
Draven

Post by Draven »

Someone on the MLR said basically leave it alone till the garage have had a look, I agree with this I might end up just making it harder for them to diagnose.

Return to “Member Profiles”