[Mk2] [Turbo] A/Rs and HP

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Odin_S

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] A/Rs and HP

Post by Odin_S »

Hey guys could you please give the full names of the turbos, this is all very interesting.

S252 SX is made by who?
I like the idea of keeping the same footprint and just changing out the turbo.

From my trawling on Garrett forums, "upgrading" from a normal 3076r to a GTX 3076 is not worth it. Going to a 3071 i don't think is wise, you'd have to run more boost to get the power no?
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Odin_S wrote:Hey guys could you please give the full names of the turbos, this is all very interesting.

S252 SX is made by who?
I like the idea of keeping the same footprint and just changing out the turbo.

From my trawling on Garrett forums, "upgrading" from a normal 3076r to a GTX 3076 is not worth it. Going to a 3071 i don't think is wise, you'd have to run more boost to get the power no?

I have been looking into this today and the bog warner S252 looks like it destroys the GTX30 turbo. Not just on spooling but it has way more punch and a top end hit for a similar sized turbo.

http://www.agpturbo.com/borg-warner-s25 ... 709095019/

As much as i love how my car drives on the road now this turbo has won me over and looks like it may well be worth the expense it's going to cost me, especially as i may have to upgrade my fuelling to get the most out of it :(

one comparison graph which I saw on google earlier was giving the BW much quicker spool and up to 100 bhp more at less than 5k revs before topping out at over 550 bhp, shame I can no longer find that graph otherwise it would make a nice addition to this thread... :eye:
Last edited by Martin F on Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ashley

Post by ashley »

I chatted to a few different mappers, including Dave Rowe, about the BW's...the general opinion (not my first hand experience by any means) is that they just don't make the power promised.

I would be tempted with a Precision next time round...they seem to kick ass on flow and spool. That said, I am amazed at the Forced Performance turbos- compared to the Garret compressor wheels, they are simply astonishing.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

ashley wrote:I chatted to a few different mappers, including Dave Rowe, about the BW's...the general opinion (not my first hand experience by any means) is that they just don't make the power promised.

I would be tempted with a Precision next time round...they seem to kick ass on flow and spool. That said, I am amazed at the Forced Performance turbos- compared to the Garret compressor wheels, they are simply astonishing.

HaHa, Just when I think I have found a perfect turbo somebody that knows a lot more than I do makes me doubt my choice :lol:

any links to what may be a better choice always appreciated 8-[
ashley

Post by ashley »

Please don't take my word for it...just get out there and talk to folk who have experience of both...then make up your own mind.

For my money- I would stick a GT3071HTA on yours...it'll be more than fast enough for the road, and will have awesome mid-range torque. You should come for a drive in mine with the GT2868HTA...it is absolutely awesome as a road going setup, easily more than enough for fast road driving and embarrassing other cars. I can't see the GT3071HTA not being totally insane, with a bit more lag.

But then I've only played with Garretts, HKS and HTA turbos...it is entirely believable that the BW are as good as they claim!

Why not discuss with someone unbiased and who know both products? FullRace are really helpful, likewise Owen Developments will discuss it with you (although they'll probably try to sell you one of their new turbos!), Real Street are also really helpful.

:thumleft:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

ashley wrote:Please don't take my word for it...just get out there and talk to folk who have experience of both...then make up your own mind.

For my money- I would stick a GT3071HTA on yours...it'll be more than fast enough for the road, and will have awesome mid-range torque. You should come for a drive in mine with the GT2868HTA...it is absolutely awesome as a road going setup, easily more than enough for fast road driving and embarrassing other cars. I can't see the GT3071HTA not being totally insane, with a bit more lag.

But then I've only played with Garretts, HKS and HTA turbos...it is entirely believable that the BW are as good as they claim!

Why not discuss with someone unbiased and who know both products? FullRace are really helpful, likewise Owen Developments will discuss it with you (although they'll probably try to sell you one of their new turbos!), Real Street are also really helpful.

It is a total minefield out there when it comes to turbos ](*,) , I am none the wiser and need help from you guys.
My current set up is pretty impressive, I can play with a modified focus RS easier than a 280 bhp rev 3 mr2 can play with a mini cooper however as you only live once I am wanting a little bit more.
That little bit more requires I spend quite a few $$ so i'd like the best I can get to fill my needs, dyno graphs of my current set up are showing the 0.63 housing weaknesses.
Thanks to this thread and to people that know more than me I have seen that turbos have come a long way in the last year or two and there are several that will destroy what my current Gt3076 will do. On spooling and pretty much throughout the rev range, The BogWarner seems to tick all the boxes however if there is something better out there please feel free to post direct links to the turbo to help me on my way and research it. ;)

The way things are going I will end up getting a bigger turbo than I need and end up with lag that I don't want... :(
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

There's a guy in the Cossie scene that gets some great numbers from the BW EFR's. He's getting about 520/530 from the 7064 and nearly 400 from 4K rpm, compared to the graph posted earlier in this thread it blows the Garretts away.
No 2 :(
ashley

Post by ashley »

MR2 Rich wrote:There's a guy in the Cossie scene that gets some great numbers from the BW EFR's. He's getting about 520/530 from the 7064 and nearly 400 from 4K rpm, compared to the graph posted earlier in this thread it blows the Garretts away.

Yes.....but......different engines tune differently don't they....what it does on a Cossie (with mega mods?) is not a valid comparison with a Garrett on a totally different engine is it.

Show me back to back tests on the same engine and I'm all ears...or talk to folk who have detailed experience across a huge range of different applications and engines and I'm listening.

A throwaway comparison to a single other build is just pub talk. Show me what his engine does when tuned up on a Forced Performance or Precision turbo, then we can talk about which turbos get blown away.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

ashley wrote:
MR2 Rich wrote:There's a guy in the Cossie scene that gets some great numbers from the BW EFR's. He's getting about 520/530 from the 7064 and nearly 400 from 4K rpm, compared to the graph posted earlier in this thread it blows the Garretts away.

Yes.....but......different engines tune differently don't they....what it does on a Cossie (with mega mods?) is not a valid comparison with a Garrett on a totally different engine is it.

Show me back to back tests on the same engine and I'm all ears...or talk to folk who have detailed experience across a huge range of different applications and engines and I'm listening.

A throwaway comparison to a single other build is just pub talk. Show me what his engine does when tuned up on a Forced Performance or Precision turbo, then we can talk about which turbos get blown away.

I saw some back to back dyno graphs earlier and the bog warner was spooling 700 rpm earlier then 60/70/80/90 hp higher than a gtx3071 throughout the rev range, looked good however it's the word of a stranger, could have been photoshopped for all I know....

It is a total minefield out ther and I am stuck bang 'excuse the pun' in the middle of it.... :eye: , please help....

i'm running 2050cc with an extremely efficient form of cooling the intake air, has to help surely :-k
ashley

Post by ashley »

Sounds good then...impressive stuff. :thumleft:

Link to source?
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

ashley wrote:Sounds good then...impressive stuff. :thumleft:

Link to source?

I have tried to follow my footsteps and became seriously lost in the woods, I can't supply a link and I can't show any dyno graphs because I can't find them #-o , i'm not trying to prove a point but simply trying to justify why I thought the BW was the turbo that would suit my needs best, help me out of the woods dude 8-[ , link me to what turbo you think will suit me best and save me from 40+ hours of research :thumleft:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

S200sx 7670, journal bearing, not the newer billet extended tip wheel SX-e, but is a twin scroll. Vs GTX3071. On an Evo tuned by Mark Shead in the UK .Pulled from full race's website.

S200sx 7670 twin scroll vs gt3076r twin scroll... These are the same turbos that Owens said were 'lazy tractor turbos' when Sheppy tried to buy one.

At the end of the day, people are always going to recommend products that they like/have bought themselves/would like to own but none of us are going to be there to pick up the pieces when/if Martin spends his money and isn't happy with the outcome. So as Ashley said, your best bet is to speak to someone with real world knowledge of both products - full race, AGP turbo, etc

EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah my experience with ownen developments wasn't great. They just tried to give me the hard sell on their own stuff. I despise that kind of behaviour so went with agp. I notice my turbo is around $200 dollars cheaper than it was when I bought it too!! For the money you're never gonna get a more capable turbo. My friend has the bigger version (the 300sx) on his mr2 and it's well over 700bhp and achieving full boost by 4krpm. Amazing considering it's for a tractor! :lol:

Martin keep in mind that while the BW will have the same footprint the intake is smaller (assuming you have a 4" intake on the garrett). I think the biggest they do is 3.5" intake. So you'll need to get new pipes made/bought to suit.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Scratch that, a silicone reducer would sort this issue!
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Ryan S wrote:Scratch that, a silicone reducer would sort this issue!

lol, I recently just cut one up to use for something else, thought at the time it was saving me a tenner, #-o
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

C35Rob wrote:S252SX-E flows 55lb/min so good for 525ish bhp, will be an awesome all rounder, I severely regret not buying one myself.

S257SX-E flows 65lb/min so good for 625ish with the correct supporting mods, but will spool a little slower (although still faster than what you've got right now)

I have decided I am going to go with one of these two turbos, possibly the latter but not 100% sure yet... I am quite happy with the way my mr2 spools now so if the latter is better but will comfortably hit 550 bhp then it sounds exactly what I am looking for.

It looks like I will need 1000cc injectors. Right now I have 800cc injectors in a rev 3 rail with braided lines and an uprated fuel pressure regulator. I am running an apexi power fc.
I have no idea what to buy, what I actually need or where to source the fuel system parts I will need so any help on that one would be very much appreciated, links etc. and details would be awesome... :thumleft:

Pretty sure along the way things may break etc. but for now i'm in for the long hall and hope I can get everything bought, fitted and mapped by next march/april.... :-k

Another chapter for the mule but hopefully not to rough a ride, especially after Julian and mr2turboboy going the same route and ending up with expensive toys costing way more then either anticipated... :eye:

still open to discussion on turbo choice as I have no intensions of buying it until after xmas as I don't need it right now... , thanks for all the input and opinions this far folks :thumleft:
ashley

Post by ashley »

C35Rob wrote:Image

That does look impressive, obviously the twinscroll exhaust manifold and turbine housing must be helping, but it does look to kick the GTX's ass...I'm impressed! I wonder why the EFR range have been slated by the tuners I've spoken to, if the cheaper range seem to have so much potential...strange!

Would be interested to see a twin scroll HTA vs. this and a Precision.

Good info Rob, I'm still sold on Forced Performance though :thumleft:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

I suppose they're a bit of an unknown quantity over here, apart from some scenes (single turbo supras for example) . If you've got a business to run and a reputation to maintain it kind of makes sense to push products that people know and aspire to.. Like everyone calls a vacuum cleaner a 'Hoover' even though there are alternatives that are just as good and better. 'Garrett' are the household name of turbos, people associate with them so it's an easy sell.

The same goes for other things, ID injectors for example, clearly a fantastic product at the top of their game but I went with Siemens Deka, still a OEM quality product (not badly Re-drilled units *cough*deatchwerks*cough*) but 1/2 the price

Precision turbos look really good, from what I've read the reliability issues may be in the past too, if you're a tight ass like me too you can follow them on Instagram and they sometimes list remanufactured turbos at huge discount, but you need to be on the ball cause they don't last long!
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

It's not a 3s but the info is still valid:

http://blog.perrinperformance.com/borg- ... -and-tune/

They take their tests very seriously :thumleft:

The EFR series is probably the best bang for the buck in the turbo world at the moment. I myself have the EFR7064.

With regards to precision or bullseye etc. thex tend to only use oil cooled chra......why on earth they do that when water cooling is more effecient is beyond me. I would never ever ever use a purely oil cooled chra when i know that i can drive for long periods of time at WOT.
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

How come you want more power mate? Surely it's a monster on the road already?

Do you plan on doing some 1/4 mile in it? I just think much more power and you're going to struggle to actually get the power down on the road?

Return to “Modifications”