Best carbon fibre bonnet

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Jaz-MR21991

Best carbon fibre bonnet

Post by Jaz-MR21991 »

Hello, I'm looking for a carbon bonnet and would like to know people's opinions on the best place to buy one. In terms of a perfect fit, everything where it should be and good quality.

I'm currently looking at ones on CarBen Fibre creations, EPR racing and Nur Motorsport.

Great if anyone has experience with any of these or if anyone knows a better place to buy one.

Thanks a lot

Jaz
rgb

Re: Best carbon fibre bonnet

Post by rgb »

I was looking at seibon . some bonnets are not proper carbon. I think they were about 600 quid . ive got 15 quids of carbon wrap on mine and it looks alright.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Hi jaz .. ask motorsports the best (less that 5kg full carbon .. pretty sure i tried to sell you mine .. hope your doing well , you turning up in a monster truck was quite memorable lol .

Kind regards , Kev.
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Kev, you hoarding carbon parts? :-$
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Gullzter wrote:Kev, you hoarding carbon parts? :-$

Hhaha no most my parts are sold now :thumleft:
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

2mad wrote:
Gullzter wrote:Kev, you hoarding carbon parts? :-$

Hhaha no most my parts are sold now :thumleft:

Ah right, was possibly in the market very soon for some carbon parts :eye:
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

For fitment and value for money...

Seibon for the OEM style... That's what I use and the fit is 100% factory issue perfect.

The other option as mentioned would be the ASK sport bonnet or a Genuine Border Bonnet.

All of the above will be £600+
'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

TOTB13 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
TOTB14 RWD 1/4mile 3rd place (Misfiring)
TOTB15 RWD 1/4mile 2nd place (HG Failure)
TOTB16 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

I wouldn't bother with Carbon parts... they never last even if they fit well which they never do. Unless you Are getting 50kg off the car from this there's no point.

I got alot on my evo x and it's just cracks peels fades etc... if u bump it ur in a world of pain. Even the evo x oem carbon part suffer.

Don't waste your money spend it on the performance where you will get the most fun use.

Looks are for kids...
Performance are for men
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360
ashley

Post by ashley »

Dry carbon panels (painted to match the car) = performance mod

Carbon skinned glass fibre panels = for show

:eye:
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

ashley wrote:Dry carbon panels (painted to match the car) = performance mod

Carbon skinned glass fibre panels = for show

:eye:

Carbon can save weight but how much do you have to buy before you lose 50kg in total on the car which only equals 0.1 of a second off your 1/4mile... it will defo make a difference if the whole car carbon but by then it would cost the same as a 2nd hand supercar.

my evo is dry carbon stock from factory but like all carbon it warps and cracks and peels over time.

Why lose more weight the mr2 is very light anyway I think a bit more weight in the right places would stabilise car better for high speeds.

Just my opinion and experience... it does look nice tho! Just don't think it's worth the money.
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

If I'm right I believe you save 10kg per door which is a fair bit considering how heavy the original ones are however that is probably offset with needing a roll cage with side bars.
The bonnet and boot lid I don't think there is a lot of weight saving but I'd like to think they are most beneficial if left spoiler less and if the bonnet is vented for aero purposes.
But yeah carbon wouldn't be first on my list :eye:
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Of course, I've stripped a few 2s, plus I've had this down to almost all panels off to clean in and about the edges :eye:

I can see a benefit in regards to aero and Sprung weight loss for the bonnet but if it's not aero bonnet then surely the weight loss is offset by less front end grip?
The boot lid, reason I say spoiler less is because I don't see much benefit there from having a spoiler when pretty much all the weight is at the back anyway, and the boot lid doesn't exactly weigh a lot, probably 10kg give or take with a spoiler on it.

I've probably saved the combination of weight saving between those by having no carpets, sound deadening, speakers, head unit, and some plastics and cubby boxes and that's free :eye:

But hey I will eventually do the body panels once I start running out of stuff to do, anything is better than nothing :thumleft:
ashley

Post by ashley »

:thumleft:
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

In the rain the Mr2 having a light front will make it more prone to even more oversteer Adjusting suspension will help but isn't really gonna solve the issue. For a race car a big front spoiler or lip would solve it just like in f1 but for a road car that not really legal and only works properly at high speeds. I just use a heavy alloy spare wheel at the front but I guess that beats the point of weight reduction lol. I don't think changing to a carbon bonnet will make that much difference in weight so won't affect the car significantly.

Stripping the car is easy and free but i like my carpet sound system less road noise and interior bits...

If Nissan can make a gtr that weights in at 1780kg with 480bhp that beat s supercars with ease but have all the comforts then there another way.

Anyway ashley how's your Mr2 going... your project looks good
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360
Jaz-MR21991

Post by Jaz-MR21991 »

Hey thanks for all the info,

My standard bonnet just looks a state, and instead of replacing with an original I thought , why not carbon fibre. Again because of this I didn't want to spend too much money. I've seen some for like £230 (CarBen fibre) anyone with any experience of these ones? I get that it also peels and looks xxxx after a while anyway.

I do the odd track day, and in the wet I struggle with snap oversteer anyway.

Can't really make my mind up now, could just get my bonnet resprayed. But I thought carbon would look cool. Yes LOOK cool

Hello kev, I remember you trying to sell me a strut brace not a bonnet lol

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Jaz-MR21991 wrote:Hey thanks for all the info,

My standard bonnet just looks a state, and instead of replacing with an original I thought , why not carbon fibre. Again because of this I didn't want to spend too much money. I've seen some for like £230 (CarBen fibre) anyone with any experience of these ones? I get that it also peels and looks xxxx after a while anyway.

I do the odd track day, and in the wet I struggle with snap oversteer anyway.

Can't really make my mind up now, could just get my bonnet resprayed. But I thought carbon would look cool. Yes LOOK cool

Hello kev, I remember you trying to sell me a strut brace not a bonnet lol

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Lol should have just given you the brace .. still got it somewhere :cyclops:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”