Rev5 Front Pipe?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

HughesR1

Rev5 Front Pipe?

Post by HughesR1 »

Can anyone tell me if the OEM rev5 front pipe has a flexi in it?

I just went to fit my mongoose exhaust as I currently have a horrific 5" tip custom backbox and sports cat, and the flanges were miles out! It looks like the front pipe is a fabricated item (no flexi) and has the flange welded in completely the wrong place to OEM which is annoying, unless all rev5's are like this?

Just want to confirm it is a custom piece before I swap it out for an OEM one.

Cheers! :thumleft:
HughesR1

Re: Rev5 Front Pipe?

Post by HughesR1 »

Can no one shed any light on this? I just want to confirm mine isn't OEM before I go and buy one :|
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Stock Rev4 and Rev5 NA front pipes do not have a flexi. Instead, they use sprung bolts to the manifold and a different type of gasket. Manifold on a Rev4/5 is also different to a Rev3.

Rev4/5 NA doesn't have the annoying 2 bolt flange and heat shield o2 sensor fitment - instead uses an M18x1.5 bung with a screw in type o2 sensor. Much easier to change when needed.

The catalytic converter / backbox fitment is the same though on the Rev4/5. Measure the length of the cat / decat you have with the mongoose - it should be ~420mm.
HughesR1

Post by HughesR1 »

Thanks for that, well I've just been underneath the car again and whilst mine does NOT have a flexi pipe I still think its custom. The flanges on the pipe and sports cat are at rotated 90 deg to what they are on the mongoose if that makes sense. Whats even worse is that the 2 flanges on the sports cat arent even in line with each other. They're welded (awfully) about 20 degrees off from each other :mad:

The manifold looks stock so I think the best bet is to rip the whole system out from the manifold back and replace with OEM front pipe, long decat and then then Mongoose. Such a faf!

Any one elses flanges this orientation lol...?

Image[/url]Untitled by alex.hughes.1991, on Flickr[/img]
Image[/url]Untitled by alex.hughes.1991, on Flickr[/img]
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Yeah, that's been dicked about with. Put a post up on the FB parts groups as well, pretty sure I've seen a front pipe advertised earlier this week.
Reedy

Post by Reedy »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Stock Rev4 and Rev5 NA front pipes do not have a flexi. Instead, they use sprung bolts to the manifold and a different type of gasket. Manifold on a Rev4/5 is also different to a Rev3.

Rev4/5 NA doesn't have the annoying 2 bolt flange and heat shield o2 sensor fitment - instead uses an M18x1.5 bung with a screw in type o2 sensor. Much easier to change when needed.

The catalytic converter / backbox fitment is the same though on the Rev4/5. Measure the length of the cat / decat you have with the mongoose - it should be ~420mm.

I've got a rev 4 NA Import and have a flexi in mine along with a bolt in lambda

just put a rev3 engine in and had no problems with the fitting of the manifold

unless.... the rev 4 engine was swapped out for a rev 3 before I bought it?... hmmm
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Looking at Japan-parts.eu, looks like JDM NA's didn't get the revisions the UK cars had.

Japan market - http://japan-parts.eu/toyota/jp/1997/mr ... haust-pipe

UK market - http://japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/1997/mr ... haust-pipe

Rev5 in Japan is different again (has a different part number anyway) because they got the BEAMS engine.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”