Bedford Autodrome 15th August Javelin

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Race Idiot

Bedford Autodrome 15th August Javelin

Post by Race Idiot »

I'm booked on this and noticed there are two other mr2's on the list? Anyone here?

Plus anyone else fancy coming along? I booked a garage so I can look like a pleb sitting next to someones entire pit crew.
pistol pete

Re: Bedford Autodrome 15th August Javelin

Post by pistol pete »

I may be tempted to give the celica a shake down after its mods and before anglesey
Ben

Post by Ben »

I thought about this, but don't want to break the westy before Anglesey!
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Ben wrote:I thought about this, but don't want to break the westy before Anglesey!

ahhh!!!now you've jinxed it... you won't break it!!!
monkeyra
Premium Member

Post by monkeyra »

If I wasn't on holiday I'd have come and joined you, I need to have a good shakedown of my car, and I'm only 45 mins away!
SW20 Rev1 Supercharged 2GR-FE Powered Trackday Car.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Ben wrote:I thought about this, but don't want to break the westy before Anglesey!

I think you should come! Also Pete :thumleft:
Chumbaside

Post by Chumbaside »

We did Beford last week, the full 3.5 mile circuit, with Javelin. It's down as one of my favourite tracks - high speed, good twisty bits etc. Quite similar to Croft in that respect, just a bit longer.

Sadly this wasn't in my MR2 - that's undergoing a full rebuild at the moment - but I did have fun driving my mate's RWD Focus RS with 500hp :D
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

ahh i thought it was a sunday.. got no holidays left. :( thats me out.. shame i really like that curcuit
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Had a great day, apart from oil temps only allowing me to do about 5 or so laps at a time.

The AD08's gave me a tonne of grip and I was able to pin the throttle so much later coming out of corners surprising a few faster cars. Thanks to the new seat it made me realise how much I was trying to keep myself in place with the old recaros. Plus Luke dialed in -2 degrees of negative camber upfront which helped with turnin quite a bit.

Also a person on pistonheads was taking some photos which was nice of them!
http://imgur.com/a/rTgh3

Quite a few mr2's there including a 2zz motored MKI, a rev3 turbo (I think? maybe it was a turbo conversion) and two NA's
Chumbaside

Post by Chumbaside »

Cracking photos! Looks and sounds like a heap of fun :thumleft:

What oil temps were you seeing? I'm interested because I'm wondering whether I should be considering an external oil cooler as part of my build as it's mostly going to see track action.

I know when I switched to 595RSR's it was like night and day in terms of grip, good to know the AD08 work out well though as they come in better sizes for the '2 (I'm running 255/40 17 rear which is a bit big!)
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I was seeing temps of 130c, I think the highest I let it go upto was 131 before backing off. That was also with lifting off on the backstraight so I didnt hit the speed limiter in 4th.

To be fair bedford has lots of sections where you are at full throttle for a while which increases temps. Where as at brands indy it would be around 15 laps before I'd see about 128.

My replacement engine will have a Phoenix Power oil cooler, it definitely seems worth it if you want to use the car regularly on track. :thumleft:

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”