Rev 4 caldina swap q?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MR2Kyle

Rev 4 caldina swap q?

Post by MR2Kyle »

Hey folks,
In the middle of having the mr2 upgraded a little and I was wondering if anyone could help me out a little.
Imported a auto caldina engine from Japan and I was wondering what I would have to do to mate it to the rev3 gearbox wiring wise? Any help would be great!!
:thumleft:
Mk1b 1989 Mica Blue
Mk2 rev3 1993 NA Turquoise
Mk2 rev5 1999 Cosmos Blue with st215 conversion 😉
pbmr2

Re: Rev 4 caldina swap q?

Post by pbmr2 »

There is 1 pin (off the top of my head, can't remember which) that connects to the park switch on the auto box. ground this and then it works fine.

Got some gen4 wire diagrams at home.

This is not the only wire mods that you need to do, to connect it to an sw20 chassis though.

I'm part way through doing a gen 4 swap too :D
sinjen

Post by sinjen »

All you need to do gearbox wise is to ground the neutral start switch (NSW) pin on the ecu.

Good to see another Gen 4 motor on the road, mine's been lonely for too long

:mrgreen:
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

I got one in mine too... solid engine. I'm running 445bhp so they r pretty tough
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360
sinjen

Post by sinjen »

QUOC2008 wrote:I got one in mine too... solid engine. I'm running 445bhp so they r pretty tough

Ooh, do tell. What have you done to yours to get that output? :thumleft:
sinjen

Post by sinjen »

QUOC2008 wrote:I got one in mine too... solid engine. I'm running 445bhp so they r pretty tough

Ooh, do tell. What have you done to yours to get that output? :thumleft:
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

The downside to the Caldina engine is the toothpick rods.

Makes the car rev happier than previous generations, no where near as tough.
MR2Kyle

Post by MR2Kyle »

Are there many gen 4s on the road do you know? And thanks for the replies :thumleft:
Mk1b 1989 Mica Blue
sinjen

Post by sinjen »

Al-sw20 wrote:The downside to the Caldina engine is the toothpick rods.

If you're concerned about the rods, swap them for forged. Not that expensive to do and then you really do have an awesome setup for power. Otherwise run 300 all day long with a really sweet Rev happy engine. I've been running 1.2 to 1.4 bar consistently for 2.5 years.

Saying an engine is "nowhere near as tough" because of a few scare stories about the rods is a little short sighted without a more balanced argument. Simply put this engine is more advanced than the previous Gen, as you'd expect.
sinjen

Post by sinjen »

MR2Kyle wrote:Are there many gen 4s on the road do you know? And thanks for the replies :thumleft:

2 running Gen 4's in the uk that I know of (now), London and Birmingham, Pbmr2 who posted above is building his atm and yours. There are probably more though. There's 1 in Ireland too, not sure where though.

The U.S is where the knowledge comes from though, they have plenty over there.
sinjen

Post by sinjen »

MR2Kyle wrote:Are there many gen 4s on the road do you know? And thanks for the replies :thumleft:

2 running Gen 4's in the uk that I know of (now), London and Birmingham, Pbmr2 who posted above is building his atm and yours. There are probably more though. There's 1 in Ireland too, not sure where though.
sinjen

Post by sinjen »

Al-sw20 wrote:The downside to the Caldina engine is the toothpick rods.

If you're concerned about the rods, swap them for forged. Not that expensive to do and then you really do have an awesome setup for power. Otherwise run 300 all day long with a really sweet Rev happy engine. I've been running 1.2 to 1.4 bar consistently for 2.5 years.

Saying an engine is "nowhere near as tough" because of a few scare stories about the rods is a little short sighted without a more balanced argument. Simply put this engine is more advanced than the previous Gen, as you'd expect.
MR2Kyle

Post by MR2Kyle »

I never got why people don't go for the rev4 or even 5 3sgte as surely they are the most advanced with the least issues. I always wondered why everyone ranted and raved about the rev 3....
Mk1b 1989 Mica Blue
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

My mr2 has magic hks forged unicorns, a hks gt3037 snail and a whole load of other stuff done.

But really these engines blocks are solid...
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

MR2Kyle wrote:I never got why people don't go for the rev4 or even 5 3sgte as surely they are the most advanced with the least issues. I always wondered why everyone ranted and raved about the rev 3....

The limitations imposed by the one piece turbo/exhaust manifold would be my guess. The 3rd generation also has off the shelf tuning parts available.

Least issues is arguable. We have tons of Caldina GT-Ts in the road in New Zealand. They aren't Toyotas most reliable car.
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

Stock internals have chicken leg rods but the block is the strongest out of all the 3sgte and you will get the most bhp out of it compare to all the old revisions. I'm running 1.39 bars and I'm getting 445.3bhp with a gt3037 same turbo as a gt3076.

But ideal engine would be a L7 from a corvette lol ;p
That would OTT tho I think
Last edited by QUOC2008 on Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360
sinjen

Post by sinjen »

Al-sw20 wrote:
MR2Kyle wrote:I never got why people don't go for the rev4 or even 5 3sgte as surely they are the most advanced with the least issues. I always wondered why everyone ranted and raved about the rev 3....

The limitations imposed by the one piece turbo/exhaust manifold would be my guess. The 3rd generation also has off the shelf tuning parts available.

Least issues is arguable. We have tons of Caldina GT-Ts in the road in New Zealand. They aren't Toyotas most reliable car.

Tosh. What off the shelf tuning parts won't fit the Gen 4? And you do realise that if you want to swap turbo's you just put a Gen 3 exhaust manifold on?!! Why you'd want to (unless going for big power) is anyone's guess, standard the Gen 4 has more 20 MORE bhp than a Gen 3 with a SMALLER, better and more responsive turbo. Fact.

You're posting on a thread with one person running 445hp reliably with off the shelf parts and another with everything stock and running a reliable 300+ Not to mention all of the examples across the pond.

Toyotas most reliable car is probably an Auris with a 1.4 Diesel engine, and you can keep it.
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

You would want to replace the manifold before it warps, like they all seem to.

Lol @ the turbo being better than the ct20b.
sinjen

Post by sinjen »

Al-sw20 wrote:You would want to replace the manifold before it warps, like they all seem to.

Lol @ the turbo being better than the ct20b.

Ok so the ct20b is better than the more modern ct15 according to you, so therefore you must agree then that the Gen 4 is the better engine in that case?! :clap:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

The gen 5 has a centre feed manifold just like the Rev 3. The benefit of the gen 4 is its better side feed inlet manifold and coil on plug ignition - both things can be retrofitted to a gen 3

The benefits of the gen 3 is stronger stock rods, separate turbo/manifold and plug and play ECU options. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter whether you go with gen 3 or gen 4, both have their pros and cons, I certainly wouldn't pull a healthy gen 3 motor out to replace it with a Gen 4. They're popular in the states because they never got the gen 3 in an mr2, and gen 3's are older and thinner on the ground so it makes sense to import front cuts from scrapped Caldinas for conversions.

If you had an NA or a dead turbo and had the option of gen 3 or gen 4 for similar money AND you didn't plan on much more than bolt on mods then the gen 4 is a better bet. But if you're going for a big power build, there really is no difference.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”