needing advice on my first turbo

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

hjs

needing advice on my first turbo

Post by hjs »

Hi all,

I am looking for someone to give me advice on a nice mr2 turbo. This will be my third mr2 but the first turbo. It has a lot of parts and things that I really do not know about and I am wondering if theres someone on here that can help me gauge what I'm looking at.

GTS model tin top
LSD and steering linked fogs
electric mirrors
rev 3 lights and centre.
cloth interior which is pristine.
belts and pumps all replaced new heater pipes and uprated fuel pump.
HKS induction kit and SQV with limited edition HKS Super Drager exhaust and de-cat.
outboard driveshaft support bearing replaced.
ST 205 complete clutch assembly which is brand new.
Tanabe upper struts front and rear, lower front strut is sustek
full rebuild of brake calipers less than 1000 miles ago with legit toyota pads.
legit oem bilstein suspension, standard hight with upgrade to b6 spec.
ASA 17" model II wheels
defi temp, pressure and turbo boost guages fitted with link controller.
hks turbo timer.
momo millennium wheel.
stainless steel sill guards.

The deal is pretty much done but i would just like other opinions on what they think this might be worth.

The bodywork itself is immaculate with no signs of rust at all and has been garaged for over a decade with the same owner.
androo007

Re: needing advice on my first turbo

Post by androo007 »

Nothing special.

Bolt on mods: exhaust, dump valve. Bigger wheels and some gauges.

Tbh on these cars it's not the mods....at this age it's all about condition if you're not buying a built up car.

Check the sponge has been removed from the cavity behind the trim where the rear speakers are.

Check for rust everywhere.

If it was an extensively modified car then ironically it's the other way - the quality of the workmanship and mods become king.

All IMHO of course. At current prices I'd say around £2,500 assuming it's a rev 1-2 as lights from a 3.

Got a link?
hjs

Post by hjs »

ah i see. ok. there appears to be no rust anywhere on the car at all. its been with the same guy for ages and garaged in winter. what sort of price do you think something like this would go for approximately taking into consideration that its in excellent condition?
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

I've just insured my rev 2 turbo on an agreed valuation which has been agreed at 3.5k. this is what I'd take for it now.

Prices on the up.

If it's a rev 1 then I'd be paying no more than 2k if in mint condition though as these are less desirable.

Also check the alloys have at least staggered tyres.
hjs

Post by hjs »

Tyres are suitably staggered. Is your rev 2 turbo of a similar spec to the one i have mentioned?
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

..oops wrong post :oops:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

£3,500 is a bit optimistic in the real world though for a rev 1 or 2.

Have a look on ebay, forums, auto trader. Just remember cars rarely sell at the advertised price. I'm not one to try and undervalue the MR2, I think they are an ultimate bargain for what they are.

If mint? I'd pay up to £3000. For £3500-£4000 you're then starting to look at very good rev 3 examples at the moment.

I guess it's all based on what people are willing to pay.
markstevieandmads

hjs wrote:Tyres are suitably staggered. Is your rev 2 turbo of a similar spec to the one i have mentioned?

Mine has a bodykit too and a few extra bits.
If it's a rev 2 turbo and is good nick then 2.5k is reasonable
hjs

Post by hjs »

no kit on mine, but also has a few extra bits as listed in the original post. but im paying just over 3k for it. comes with a spare set of original rims with good tyres also.
markstevieandmads

androo007 wrote:£3,500 is a bit optimistic in the real world though for a rev 1 or 2.

You can't put rev 1 and rev 2 in the same category. Like you can't put rev 3 into the same catergory either.
Rev 1 less desirable due to suspension and brake setup
Rev 2 has rev 3 suspension and brakes but rev 1 engine
Rev 3 has best of both worlds.

Later revs even better....

As you say it depends what people pay....
I paid £1500 for my standard rev 2 turbo. It had no paperwork apart from v5 and mot 3 years ago. It's now had an agreed valuation without any argument of £3.5k. however it does have mods declared including standard engine upgrades,bodykit and alloys.

I'd pay up to £1500 for a rev 1 turbo, £2.8k for a rev 2 turbo and £3.5k for a rev 3 onwards. All standard examples. Again, that's a personal opinion.
hjs

Post by hjs »

Didn't see the request for link:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/ ... id=1&pid=5

It sounds like a great example of the rev2, i have already placed a deposit and the guy sounds really genuine, and has sent me plenty of videos and additional photos. In the past i have been burned from mr2 owners who treated their 2s badly and me being naive took them at their word and within a month said 2 had fallen apart. I feel like im paying for the cars history more than anything as it appears to have been very well looked after. The owner also has a monster supra which has been very well looked after also so he seems to be a responsible guy.

However it is always good to get other peoples opinions as well as the owner. he has come down on the advert price at the cost of the rev3 lights being replaced for rev2 ones, however i think i can source rev3 lights cheaper elsewhere.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”