Struggling to go into 4th gear - possibilities? engine mounts?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

auzzam

Struggling to go into 4th gear - possibilities? engine mounts?

Post by auzzam »

hi guys,

Just wanted your thoughts on an issue that occurs every now and then, when going into 4th I feel the gear resist and pop back out even before I've taken my hand away from the shifter.

This only started happening after some hard launching at santapod. I cannot replicate the problem on demand, just happens randomly maybe once a journey and can happen at either low speed or high.

If I try hold it there there is usually a crunching sound so I go back into neutral and back into 4th. It doesnt pop out once in, just have problems getting it to hold 4th when I first put it in.

so I've been digging around and have seen it maybe a gearbox synchro issue or clutch. But the clutch doesnt slip or behave weird in any other manner.

I've also read somewhere that it could be the engine mounts have worn out - someone had exact the same symptoms (santapod probably didnt help this as my car is running all bolts on mods, and I'm not sure if the mounts have been changed) - where are these engine mounts located, can I get to them with a trolley jack and axel stands? - or is it a garage ramp jobby

I also think the mounts are shot because my BOV keeps slipping, which suggests to me there is probably some movement going on!

Hope its as simple as the engine mount - for the other guy (cant find the post) it was the engine mount that also holds in the tranny, as there was movement that would cause issues with 4th.

so to sum up my I guess my questions are:

1) Where are the engine mounts located, how best to get to them / tell if they're shot.

2) If it is a clutch replacement, how much would I be looking at for an uprated clutch including labour

3) If its the gearbox, is it best to just get a rebuild as buying a second hand one could lead to the same problems?

Thanks

Auzzam
rev3gtturbo

Re: Struggling to go into 4th gear - possibilities? engine mounts?

Post by rev3gtturbo »

I have had a gear selector issue but not with a slipping BOV!
In my case the engine mounts were ok and the fix was to change the gearbox oil and rotate the shifter cube 90 degrees as the cube gets worn. Cheap fix. Done loads of miles since with no problems.

See http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1557647
androo007

Post by androo007 »

I've just had to have the 4th gear synchro rebuilt on mine as crunched when going in.
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

The front mount is easy enough to get at , four bolts to the bulk head and through bolt on the mount. Replace it for new one . If your doing launches then poly bushings the front and rear but be warned it'll transfer lots of vibration and noise into the cabin and bits of trim might start falling off :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”