Quater glass and surround removal

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

VGB

Quater glass and surround removal

Post by VGB »

So whilst cleaning my car for the first time in a while I've noticed an orangey brown stain down from the rear quater glass. I'm assuming rust from the window surround. To check and resolve I need to remove the quater glass and surround. My question is, how do I do it? I don't want to just go at it and break any retaining clips etc that I'm not aware of.
outrun

Re: Quater glass and surround removal

Post by outrun »

Remove interior plastic trim, remove the 4 or so 10mm headed nuts.
Outside, pry out the little vent in the corner, then remove the 3 philips headed screws and then working from the B pillar, lever/pry the glass outwards with a plastic trim tool and slide the glass towards the rear of the car, to disengage the window with the roof gutter trim.
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

As described above but I threaded some 6mm welding wire through and cut the butyl sealer.
FYI you'll need to thoroughly clean off the old butyl and use some new on refitting.

Also where is the staining leaking out? If you have a tbar there is a drain tube that runs from the top outer corner (behind the tbar seal) down to a plastic box behind the vent. Be careful prying off the vent as the clips can break.
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

As described above but I threaded some 6mm welding wire through and cut the butyl sealer.
FYI you'll need to thoroughly clean off the old butyl and use some new on refitting.

Also where is the staining leaking out? If you have a tbar there is a drain tube that runs from the top outer corner (behind the tbar seal) down to a plastic box behind the vent. Be careful prying off the vent as the clips can break.
VGB

Post by VGB »

Thanks for replies.

The stain is coming from the nearside rear quater window just above the fuel flap. It's coming from the strip that goes around the window. Is that attached to the glass? I've got a sunroof model.
Rob

Post by Rob »

It will be a rusted bracket at the bottom of teh glass that bolts back through the shell.

I've a sunroof model and have had a glass out respray - my bracket had rusted through moisture ingress.

It is bonded in and then has 3-4 (can't remember how many) bolts on brackets pulling it in tight.

I took my whole gutter off - not sure if that is entirely necessary though......
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

If you break the glass I have a used spare near side rear quarter window.

Originally bought it for my previous mk2 rev3 turbo tbar but it is not compatible with a Tbar so should fit a mk2 hard top or sunroof car.

(Toyota ran out of stock years ago so try not to break rear quarter windows, although some breakers might still have them).
VGB

Post by VGB »

Will bare it in mind cheers!
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

That is why I used a wire to cut the butyl so I wasn't having to pry the window. I did it like you would a windscreen. Threaded the wire through then wrapped the ends around screwdrivers for handles.

Oh and the quarter glass is different fit for early revs. Also the offer of one is great but if yours is a UK n/a then it will be blue tint and the one from turbo will be brown tint.
VGB

Post by VGB »

Best I be very careful. This is slightly concerning as I do find things to just break in my hands. :whistle:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”