Tips removing a rounded off seized nut or bolt. (video exhaust manifold bracket)

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

[email protected]

Tips removing a rounded off seized nut or bolt. (video exhaust manifold bracket)

Post by [email protected] »

Any tips please. This has driven me crazy.

https://youtu.be/NiEuxXEU0r4

If you don't watch the whole video its near the end.

shall i just grind it off?
abovetherim

Re: Tips removing a rounded off seized nut or bolt. (video exhaust manifold bracket)

Post by abovetherim »

You could take a hacksaw or small cutting disc (on a dremmel type tool) and cut some of the flange of the nut off. This will relieve some of the adhesion of the corrosion

Then grind some flats on 2 sides of the nut, then heat it cherry red, then quench it with penetrant.
Go have a cuppa then get a wrench on it.

If you don't want to grind flats on it you can get grip sockets (Irwin do some as do other brands) that cut into a grip the rounded head as you turn anticlockwise.

If you have a mig welder then weld a larger nut to the old one using plenty of heat as you do it and again quench with penetrant and leave a while for it to get to work.

You can buy new manifold studs and nuts from tcb for £20 ish. the nuts should be replaced as they are grip nuts. If the studs are in good shape then only replace the one with the nut still attached.
The exhaust manifold gasket is MLS. Multi Layer Steel. you need to make sure you clean the mating surfaces up really well. Also put the edge of a steel rule across the flat of the manifold face to check it is flat as they can warp.

But good work on persevering with the other rust bolts. Generally i found the exhaust bolts to be the worst on the whole car.

edit: IIRC that one is the same one I ended up grinding off then drilling out the hole and retapping then replaced with new stainless bolt.
MartinF

Re: Tips removing a rounded off seized nut or bolt. (video exhaust manifold bracket)

Post by MartinF »

Why do you need to remove it?

If the manifold is going back on then just leave it all connected.

If not then the above advice is good. If you're heating bolts to try and get them off then you really need to get them near red-hot.
Blue Lexus RCF
Black MKIV UK Manual Supra
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
[email protected]

Okay thanks for the advice. Grinding off the nuts helped. I got the bolt off to get the bracket off.
Now I need to get the two broken studs out. These are seized!
Video to show
https://youtu.be/fuZWJ7FJdCE
MartinF

Post by MartinF »

If there is enough meat left you can try to use a stud extractor, like below.

If not then your options are a little more limited like drilling and removing.
Blue Lexus RCF
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

Stud extractor all the way!
androo007

Post by androo007 »

"I've tried everything....adjustable. .....hammer.....adjustable. ...."

:lol:

Whilst rounded nuts and snapping studs are the biggest pita ever, some decent tools and thought process usually means that they can be out in a short time.
[email protected]

I've been defeated..

I have 7mm holes all the way through the stud, ive tried to extract but they will not budge.

So i'm going to ask a friend of mine to rethread them or something.

I don't normally accept defeat but I'm getting tired of this exhaust manifold
MartinF

Post by MartinF »

[email protected] wrote:

I have 7mm holes all the way through the stud, ive tried to extract but they will not budge.

If you have managed to get that far then I'd try heating up the remains and then using an extractor like below on the remains.

Has worked a few times for me. Also can soak in penetrating oil first.
Blue Lexus RCF
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
[email protected]

MartinF wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

If you have managed to get that far then I'd try heating up the remains and then using an extractor like below on the remains.

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://cdn.toolstation.com/images/14102 ... /51010.jpg

Has worked a few times for me. Also can soak in penetrating oil first.

I tried them earlier today.. what is the best way to turn them...?? I used my power drill and not enough power. I used a fotting over the end and it rounded the square off.
MartinF

Post by MartinF »

You should be using a tap handle on them.

Remember the remains you should try to get red hot.
Blue Lexus RCF
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Probably easiest to drill the remainder of the stud out (with a TCT drill bit if necessary) and then re-tap to a larger stud size :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”