Rev 2 AFM question

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

steveybMR2-173

Rev 2 AFM question

Post by steveybMR2-173 »

Hi all, after a bit of advice,

Investigating low idle & running rich on my Rev 2 turbo I decided having replaced dizzy cap & rotor, coolant temp sensor etc last weekend to remove the AFM and clean it, however I did a really stupid thing and unscrewed the screws on the connector, breaking a couple of the connections as I pulled at it.

I thought I'd dropped on another untampered with AFM from eBay, arrived yesterday, but having compared it to mine that I removed, the flap only opens about half an inch before being obstructed by something metallic (not dirt) and has to be positively forced to open any further, whereas my original opens fully and freely, which ones right? Suspect I've bought a duff but wanted to check before contecting mr2 breakers for a third AFM!

Black 1994 Mk2 Rev 3 GT Turbo T-Bar
Retribution

Re: Rev 2 AFM question

Post by Retribution »

Spray some gt85 into the afm and the flap should be able to click open and shut when the car starts, you will hear the click of the metal

Those screws shouldn't have been removed mate this is something I was warned about from the start, and a quick search will tell you this as they snap easy
steveybMR2-173

Post by steveybMR2-173 »

Yup, realised about the screws just as I pulled🙁

With the AFM disconnected should the flap move freely? Or about half an inch? & then open when running. The old one opens freely, trying to figure out which ones right
Black 1994 Mk2 Rev 3 GT Turbo T-Bar
Retribution

Post by Retribution »

If you take the afm off it should close shut when u push it open and move finger away, if not there could just be some corrosion built up over time, just spray the gt85 over the whole section and give a couple of mins and test it before fitting
When the afm is on the car you should hear a metallic click as it opens up when staring and closes whilst stationary

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”