Limited Slip Diffs

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SebW20

Limited Slip Diffs

Post by SebW20 »

Hi everyone

I've heard mixed things about Rev 5s with LSDs; some people have said that all Rev 5s have LSDs others have said that only later ones had them. Can anyone clear this up? Is there any sure way to see if your MR2 has an LSD (other than dumping the clutch at high revs and seeing how many lines of rubber you leave!).

Cheers
ashley

Re: Limited Slip Diffs

Post by ashley »

Put one wheel on the grass and one on the tarmac and hit the throttle :thumleft:
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

Doesn't the vin number give it away?

You can jack the car up from the middle of the subframe and then turn one wheel by hand, see which way the other one turns.
ashley

Post by ashley »

That don't work with a viscous LSD :eye:
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Was it not standard on rev3 turbo onwards?

Both mine turn the same direction when jacked up and I'm sure its stock lsd. But what Ashley said makes sense about viscous , as they're basically open under normal use.
Nic

Post by Nic »

The axle code on the VIN plate will tell you which diff it was factory fitted with.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

The only Rev5 NA's that have them as standard are JDM G-Limited's (with the BEAMS engine).

The vast majority of UK cars will not have one.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Nic wrote:The axle code on the VIN plate will tell you which diff it was factory fitted with.

Do you have a list of what the transaxle codes actually mean? It seems the 3 digits after the gearbox codes are relatively unknown on NA's.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Do you have a list of what the transaxle codes actually mean? It seems the 3 digits after the gearbox codes are relatively unknown on NA's.

I don't know the specific codes for the MR2 but the Toyota axle code usually denotes whether the car is fitted with an open or limited slip diff.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

It does, I looked into this a few years ago now, and it seems no one is sure what the various codes are for the S series box across various markets and vehicles.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Gazza_DJ wrote:It does, I looked into this a few years ago now, and it seems no one is sure what the various codes are for the S series box across various markets and vehicles.

Googling 'S54 transmission' I see what you mean, there's a lot of varying/conflicting information on the subject.

The EPC seems to suggest that pre 06/1996 ALL UK 3SGE MR2's were fitted with an open diff and post 06/1996 ALL were fitted with an LSD.

With the JDM 3SGE MR2 the EPC shows that only some post 06/1996 models were fitted with an LSD.

If we knew the axle codes from an early and late revision UK MR2, it may help to identify which JDM models have which diff (it's usually the last digit of the axle code that denotes what type of diff it is.)
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
kurkjones

Post by kurkjones »

Wasn't it all from Rev3 onwards? 1994ish.
Toyota MR2 - 3S-GTE - 1991 Turbo - Yellow
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Nic wrote:
Gazza_DJ wrote:It does, I looked into this a few years ago now, and it seems no one is sure what the various codes are for the S series box across various markets and vehicles.

Googling 'S54 transmission' I see what you mean, there's a lot of varying/conflicting information on the subject.

The EPC seems to suggest that pre 06/1996 ALL UK 3SGE MR2's were fitted with an open diff and post 06/1996 ALL were fitted with an LSD.

With the JDM 3SGE MR2 the EPC shows that only some post 06/1996 models were fitted with an LSD.

If we knew the axle codes from an early and late revision UK MR2, it may help to identify which JDM models have which diff (it's usually the last digit of the axle code that denotes what type of diff it is.)

That's definitely not the case, I've never seen a UK NA with an LSD. My old Rev4 didn't, and my current Rev5 100% does not - I had the gearbox off a month ago.
SebW20

Post by SebW20 »

I had a late model UK Rev 5 (2000 V reg) before and in the owners manual it said that it had an LSD, I've got a 1998 Rev 5 now but unfortunately don't have the owners manual for it.

I thought that sometimes, trying to get the power down pulling out of junctions, it feels like the diff is open which is what sparked the original question. Unfortunately I can't really remember what my previous MR2 felt like for comparison...
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

if the diff is only viscus then after 20 years it's going to be mostly open by now.
Really thinking of getting a proper diff and sticking it in a turbo box.
SebW20

Post by SebW20 »

Just got my Dad to check his owners manual (he has a UK Rev 5 NA) and on page 92 it says:

"Limited-Slip Differential
Your Toyota is equipped with a limited-slip differential. If one rear wheel begins to spin, the limited-slip differential is designed to aid traction by automatically transmitting driving force to the other rear wheel"

[/img]
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

My manual also says that, but I'm almost certain mine does not have an LSD.

What does the transaxle code say on your VIN plate in the front? Mine is 472.

It's in the long number at the bottom, the full version of mine is:

2CELB23-472S54

2CE = Sonic Shadow paint
LB23 = interior trim code
472 = transaxle code
S54 = gearbox code
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

If manufacturers go to all the trouble of making and fitting a LSD, why is it some people weld there's up? :?: :? :?:

What the idea behind that one?

And also why is it if clever old manufacturers develop clever old ABS systems do some people decide they can brake better without it? :? :?:

BTW can you get quaife LSD's for 2's? anyone lavish enough to have purchased and fitted one? hows it drive any noticeable difference to a standard LSD.
ashley

Post by ashley »

masterbateson wrote:If manufacturers go to all the trouble of making and fitting a LSD, why is it some people weld there's up? :?: :? :?:

What the idea behind that one?

It's a cheap way of modifying older live axle vehicles that costs very little, and works pretty well.

masterbateson wrote:And also why is it if clever old manufacturers develop clever old ABS systems do some people decide they can brake better without it? :? :?:

Because (in the case of the MR2) the ABS system is rubbish, and a driver with decent feel who is practiced at threshold braking can brake far better than it.

masterbateson wrote:BTW can you get quaife LSD's for 2's?

Yes.

masterbateson wrote:anyone lavish enough to have purchased and fitted one?

Yes- there are a good few MR2's out there with one fitted.

masterbateson wrote:hows it drive any noticeable difference to a standard LSD.

It works.
SebW20

Post by SebW20 »

Gazza_DJ wrote:My manual also says that, but I'm almost certain mine does not have an LSD.

What does the transaxle code say on your VIN plate in the front? Mine is 472.

It's in the long number at the bottom, the full version of mine is:

2CELB23-472S54

2CE = Sonic Shadow paint
LB23 = interior trim code
472 = transaxle code
S54 = gearbox code

Yeah, mine is 472 as well

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”