Agreed Value Insurance Question

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Madmattyturner

Agreed Value Insurance Question

Post by Madmattyturner »

Hi Folks,

Just a quick question with regard the agreed value insurance. When i get the agreed value from the insurance if the worst happens and they write it off in the event of an accident how do they go about it? I mean do they write it off against the book price of the car or against the value of the car agreed? If it helps I have a 1993 MR2 T-BAR Turbo that is about as modified as it gets (to insurance companies anyway)

thanks guys!!
Draven

Re: Agreed Value Insurance Question

Post by Draven »

If you have an agreed price you get exactly that the agreed price.. :thumleft:
Madmattyturner

Draven

Post by Madmattyturner »

Thats not what i mean Draven, i mean if the car is written off by an engineer, do they write it off on the basis of what a bog standard mr2 is valued at, or do they write it off against the agreed value?

For example book prices says £2000 its going to cost £4000 to fix = write off

Agree value price is £10,000 its going to cost £4000 to fix it = not a write off

I hope im making sense ](*,) its hard to explain lol!!
Draven

Post by Draven »

I get you, It will be based on the agreed value. So if your car is agreed at 10k they will have to pay out 10k to you. So the base the decision on whether to write it off on this figure. if the damage is like £15k then they might consider uneconomical repair and write it off.

Even if the market value of the car is more like 6k

Hope that helps explain.
Draven

Post by Draven »

It is basically what ever is cheapest for them.. :thumleft:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

who are you with out of interest for agreed value?? as ill be looking for this in the coming months.

do you have a separate certificate stating agreed value is X amount?? and youll be payed that amount?

because many places and people confuse insured value with agreed value.
i could value a rusty corsa at 10k no problems, and insurance would know doubt ask me to pay privilege for this value, but when it comes to a total loss pay me £400 as its the market value.

only an official letter/statement/certificate should be classed as agreed value.
i have seen issues in the past with people mistaking "oh i insured it for 6k", its says that in my paperwork so that must mean ill be payed that. when infact all they are entitled too is market value.
Madmattyturner

JIMGTS

Post by Madmattyturner »

Flux Direct at the moment, with all my mods ive got a quote of 580 with an access of 350 :-) not sure on any of the other details at the moment to be hoenst :-)

Does anyone know on here who would give me a valuation of the car? someone official at the club maybe?

Thanks
jimGTS

Re: JIMGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Madmattyturner wrote:Flux Direct at the moment, with all my mods ive got a quote of 580 with an access of 350 :-) not sure on any of the other details at the moment to be hoenst :-)

Does anyone know on here who would give me a valuation of the car? someone official at the club maybe?

Thanks

its all subjective, best bet is starting a thread asking everyones opinion.
bare in mind the insurance company still need to agree with this, so likely some back and forth, but they will know how much they usually pay out for these cars. which could be wildly different to what folk on here think its worth.
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

Hi chaps,

Just thought you might be interested to speak to Footman James.

I got a quote for them for a reduced mileage policy for my incoming MR2 Turbo.

5,000 miles a year for an agreed value of £6,500 plus mods, for £380 for the year.

Excellent value I thought. When I spoken to Sky to see if they could compete their response was something along the lines of 'bite their arm off'!
mammoo

Post by mammoo »

I can second footman Jones. I don't have an agreed value but I pay 150 a year for my modified turbo.
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

I agree with JimGTS.

The insurance paperwork must make it crystal clear it for an "agreed value" and not just an insured value. Otherwise any claims will be settled based on what the insurer thinks is market value (can of worms that valuation game).

I guess that if a policy has standard clauses that refer to market value in the small print then the insurance will need endorsements to cancel the market value clauses. All the paperwork needs to be consistent and accurate.

If the insurers get it independently assessed by an engineer for a valuation at the start of a policy etc, ask for a copy of the report as that will also support its market value at that time.

Take pictures of the car from time to time and keep all servicing and parts receipts to support your version of market value.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”