1992 Eunos Roadster

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

thomp1983

Re: 1992 Eunos Roadster

Post by thomp1983 »

Use an led and resistor to check the ecu is pulsing the injectors, also swap one of your known working injectors with the suspect one.

I'd also consider rigging the rail up with the injectors firing into some plastic cups and physically check what's happening
JD

Post by JD »

Will do. I have the "diagnostic kit" :lol:
JD

Post by JD »

Oh never mind. I eventually found the compression tester and got to it today.

178 - 178 - 177 - 70

F**k! :lol:

Can't decide if I break it and make some money on the nice bits, just swap another engine in, or just get another running car and swap my coilovers, zorst, and other choice bits onto that. None of these things are horrendously expensive to do but I'm bored with this not being a driver now and just falling into the same trap I did with my 2. I do like it though and I've definitely caught the bug. We'll see.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Ah bu88er :(

How much is a replacement engine? Or is it easy enough to do a HG change?
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
JD

Post by JD »

Ben wrote:Ah bu88er :(

How much is a replacement engine? Or is it easy enough to do a HG change?

You can get 'em for around £150. I doubt it's HG, I reckon it's valves. I'll do a wet test to double check but I had previously spilled a small amount of coolant into the #4 inlet port and although I thought I'd siphoned it all out and it was nice and dry, it make well have ended up damaging valve seals, valves or seats when I cranked it over.

Most likely I'll just drop a replacement engine in over a weekend. I saw one up for £120 obo on the bay of e so if I have a morning free this week I might crawl around the M25 to go pick it up. I'm gonna try and rope my dad in to help to hopefully get it all done quicker, but once the bum one is out the car it should be quite a quick job to swap all the ancillaries over and drop it in.

If this was the 2 I'd be thinking "oh s**t!" but 5s are much cheaper in parts and easier to spanner on :)
JD

Post by JD »

Wet results are in!

200 - 205 - 205 - 80

So, I'm looking at head work which is easily £400+VAT. It would be pretty good to have a perfect rebuilt cylinder head buuuuut it would potentially also be fine to have a decent running B6 from a 92-94 car. Head's coming off so I can see what's happened anyway.
Draven

Post by Draven »

that is really sucky, Engines aren't expensive at all. I picked a replacement up for £80 when my HG went in my MX5. They are cheap and easy to work on.
JD

Post by JD »

My dad needs head work done on his Dolomite so perhaps we can get a group discount at the machine shop :lol: Not f&*^ing likely.

I'm just not prepared to p1$$ away money on a head rebuild right now when I can spend £150 and a day to drop in a complete running engine.

I still think it might be a lifter stuck or something cheap. Tappets are £12 each at euro car prats, and apparently the old ones are easy enough to clean and replace. I have no idea what I'm doing really because I've never taken a head off before but I suppose as long as I'm careful and keep everything clean and use a new gasket it would be simple enough to swap over. Nah?
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

If it were me I'd just throw a known runner in there, by the time you take the head off, pay for parts, gaskets etc it's just as much hassle and probably more money to fix it.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
Draven

Post by Draven »

Bags, get lots of bags and labels..

Remove everything put in correct bags with labels. :thumleft:

Keep everything as clean as possible and take your time. I took the head off mine the key is the be careful with all the small bits.
Draven

Post by Draven »

But yeah i'd do what Rob says get a new motor.
JD

Post by JD »

Thanks chaps - I'm just wondering how easy it will be to drop into the boot of a 5 door Astra G, or whether it would be easier to drop it onto a pallet and slide in into the back of a 9-5 estate. These are my options.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

according to the internet the engine weighs about 120kg fully dressed, so light enough for two men to lift into the back of a car, quite comfortably if you lash two lengths of rope/chain/strops around the block and thread a post through them then pick it up via that

like so:

- I remember years ago me and a mate removing and refitting a CVH from a Fiesta XR2i entirely by hand, just using lifting strops around the block, it's awkward, but do-able in a pinch - the most awkward bit is wiggling it back onto the gearbox splines while trying to support the weight
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
JD

Post by JD »

Ta. I'll most likely be doing a lot of the fitting by myself so its probably worth having a crane. I'll hire one for a couple of days. The breaker I'm picking up from has a crane his end too which helps :)
JD

Post by JD »

HSS delivering crane free of charge and only charging day rate for the weekend :thumleft:

It's a big day tomorrow. I'll be up at sparrow fart waiting for the crane to arrive here then driving off up to Tilbury to go remove the engine I want from the car at the breakers. Sod's law it's the only one still in the car. Anyway he'll give me a hand and barring any setbacks it should be relatively quick for two people to unplumb and remove the engine.

Unfortunately it looks like it will rain for much of tomorrow so I wish I'd asked my neighbour if I could borrow his marquee to set up over the car. Once I'm back I need to get the new engine into the dry so I can swap my nice bits onto it, then lift the old one out and use it as a bedside table or perhaps plant some flowers in it.

I'll probably not start the install until Sunday, but even with that I expect to run into all kinds of problems. Fortunately mine has come apart quite easily for a 26 year old car.

So, in summary my weekend involves one, or possibly two trips to Essex, the removal of two engines, and the install of one engine.

Next week when I've got some time I'll be taking the head off the one that's come out and seeing what the damage is. I'm expecting to see a big chunk of valve missing.

Apologies for the continued Mazda content. Toyota-related news to resume shortly.
JD

Post by JD »

in no particular order

Sheared a mount on the way out:

New one has mounts intact though:

10mm from bedtime:

It was dark when I finished and the new engine is a bit grubby so I'll finish up plumbing in and filling up later in the week and cross my fingers for the smooth thrum of four cylinders firing in perfect order.
JD

Post by JD »

Haven't updated this in ages but basically new engine is a peach and although I haven't done much driving, I've enjoyed it.

I fitted fibreglass wings just left in gel coat now. Car is 5 different colours and probably just looks like a POS to the casual observer but is in fact a pointy b-road carver on the DualTechs with the braced rear and not much weight.

I love this little car. I've not felt inspired to do much work although before I raised the car up 10mm all round the other week I'd smacked the center muffler on a speedbump, which was too f&*(ing high (over 100mm) so now I've got a rattly baffle in that but it's actually not too bad and from the outside it just sounds a bit raspier. I'll chop it out and weld in an oval type to keep it higher off the ground.

Painting will have to wait until next year but once I've got to 2 back the plan is to SORN this and do boring some bits and pieces like clean and regrease the window rails but also do some crafty fun stuff like make up foamex door cards and hook up the oil temp and water temp gauges.
craig

Post by craig »

Getting there. Nice work, looking forward to seeing it painted! What colour/scheme you going for?
JD

Post by JD »

craig wrote:Getting there. Nice work, looking forward to seeing it painted! What colour/scheme you going for?

Thanks Craig - I really don't know. Probably whatever takes my fancy on the day I order the paint :lol:
JD

Post by JD »

I've got some plans that will require time in the garage so I'll have to negotiate with the old man if there's any chance I can swap with Dolomite.

Cool post with no information for the sake of updating the thread.

Return to “Member Profiles”