1992 Eunos Roadster

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

CalMac

Re: 1992 Eunos Roadster

Post by CalMac »

So much spaff :lol:

What the fook were those balls on the air filter??
JD

Post by JD »

Also this happened. xxxx wheel nuts over tightened resulted in this shearing clean off when I went to remove it:

I had a local mobile wheel/tyre guy come round while I was at work and he managed to drill some of the nut off without damaging the stud or the wheel but couldn't get it out so I'm just gonna get a big cobalt bit and drill out the stud. The dude spent about an hour but wouldn't take any money as he couldn't get it off cleanly. Nice man.
JD

Post by JD »

CalMac wrote:So much spaff :lol:

What the fook were those balls on the air filter??

They're blobs of black silicone that just fell out when I touched them plugging up some holes :( I just put duct tape over them instead which seems a much better idea. I'm gonna replace that filter anyway.
JD

Post by JD »

CalMac wrote:Glad to hear you're enjoying it JD :thumleft:

I've got a spare jdm 1.6 SNC engine with the crank wobble issue - if your head ends up to be FUBAR'd (warped or whatever) you can have my old one. The heads fine, just the crank issue #-o Can bring stuff to the Guildford run on Friday if that helps :) I've also got a set of aftermarket steel wheel nuts if you need them.

How much do you want for the bonnet? I kinda like it.. :whistle:

Ooooh you know I don't think I'm gonna be able to make the Guildford run but I might have that head off you at some point. I've got to recheck resistance on all earths, reset temp gauge needle, and fit a proper temp sender because as doom and gloom as I already am about it, I still can't see, hear, or smell any actually evidence of overheating but until I can be sure I'm just too f**king scared to drive it :/
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

A decent welder could probably sort that nut out, or some big balls and a sharp chisel. Possibly an irwin grip would work too
JD

Post by JD »

thomp1983 wrote:A decent welder could probably sort that nut out, or some big balls and a sharp chisel. Possibly an irwin grip would work too

I was thinking bolt grips buuut there's less of it now to grip on to. I might get some anyway because they look useful :thumleft:

I thought the guy who came round might bring a MIG but he opted for drilled and hammering I think. Studs are cheap and I can change them with a hammer. I think it's probably the best way of saving the wheel.
Draven

Post by Draven »

Yeah you need to weld a bit of bar to the remaining nut and then just undo it. Thats how i got mine which were a similar state off. :thumleft:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

I guess it's too big to just use a stud remover? Ie the ones with rollers inside.
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

A decent sharp cold chisel and club hammer in the groove you can see at the top would split it off pretty quickly
JD

Post by JD »

Thanks for the suggestions. I made that groove with a chisel but it's not there any more. It'll be Saturday before I get round to it but since studs are about £3 each I might just sacrifice that to save the wheel as I'm supposed to be swapping these for a set of SSR Mk2R :)
JD

Post by JD »

Oops double post
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

Did you get the nut sorted?
JD

Post by JD »

thomp1983 wrote:Did you get the nut sorted?

I did yes thankyou - it ended up being 3 in total I had to drill out. I broke a 10.5mm cobalt bit doing it lol. I've ordered some new studs so hopefully I can get them in the cheat way with an impact gun but if not I'll have to get someone to press them in.

I've got a few more pics at home to upload but I've sourced a set of better wings off a guy - one is a bit rotten but I'll grind it back and treat it and paint them before I put them on. I might get a MIG welder this weekend and practice on the old ones :D. The car is slowly turning PZ black rather than the flat candy apple red it currently is :lol:

So job list to do this weekend or the one after:

- Knock out drilled studs and fit replacement set
- Reset needle in temp gauge so it actually means something
- Shift boot replacement
- Put door cards and trim back in
- Fit hardtop
- Fit new wheels up front with proper steel nuts
- Prep and paint new old wings
- Make cool new gear gaiter out of some material I have lying around
- Get spare cam cover blasted and painted
- Fit catch can
- Give it a wash :)
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Keeping n eye on this ... turning into a mission mate ... keep on keeping on :thumleft:
JD

Post by JD »

Hopefully as evenings get lighter I can do a bit more work in the week but I'm usually not home until about 8 and I just want shower and bed :/
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

If you're replacing the shift boot you'll probably find that the 3 stud boot from gear lever to top of the gearbox is fooked too - I'd advise OEM Mazda on these as I fitted a new pair from Ebay about 4 months ago and they've both torn already #-o OEM may be the same, just my 2p though. It might just be my mad VTEC gear changes :lol:
JD

Post by JD »

CalMac wrote:If you're replacing the shift boot you'll probably find that the 3 stud boot from gear lever to top of the gearbox is fooked too - I'd advise OEM Mazda on these as I fitted a new pair from Ebay about 4 months ago and they've both torn already #-o OEM may be the same, just my 2p though. It might just be my mad VTEC gear changes :lol:

Lol yeah I just assumed I'd have to do both so am ordering the OEM kit. I'm currently having trouble trying to get a courier for two wings. I can't see why it's double the price for two when they're so light and basically just stack up one in the other.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

JD wrote:
CalMac wrote:If you're replacing the shift boot you'll probably find that the 3 stud boot from gear lever to top of the gearbox is fooked too - I'd advise OEM Mazda on these as I fitted a new pair from Ebay about 4 months ago and they've both torn already #-o OEM may be the same, just my 2p though. It might just be my mad VTEC gear changes :lol:

Lol yeah I just assumed I'd have to do both so am ordering the OEM kit. I'm currently having trouble trying to get a courier for two wings. I can't see why it's double the price for two when they're so light and basically just stack up one in the other.

when I've sent wings before - actually the wings from when I broke my Eunos - i just taped cardboard all over them, and booked them in as a X kilo package with X dimensions.. didn't even bother saying they were car panels. I think i paid about £15-20 to send them to the lad that bought them
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
JD

Post by JD »

'Tis my plan. I've contacted a couple of ebay couriers for a quote so I'm happy with anything <£30 really.

Gotta prep and paint 'em myself but I've got patience to do it right, sand and polish.
JD

Post by JD »

The front studs are now replaced. When I went to wind in the nearside front caliper to put it back on I noticed it was sticking slightly. The slider pins and slider boots are good so it's just a straight caliper swap for a new pair. I may as well fit braided hoses while I'm doing that as well and also change the master cylinder for peace of mind :)

I've booked in for a HG next week because I can't bothered to do that myself lol.

I took out the temp gauge and reset the needle the other day because as it turned out it was totally in the wrong place so wasn't giving any meaningful reading (as much as it can do, anyway). I've got a single DIN triple 52mm gauge pod and some Smith's gauges to drop into it:

- Water temp
- Oil temp
- Clock (believe it or not it doesn't actually have one)

I've got a little single DIN tray to go in beneath it which will eventually get replaced with a cassette deck if I can find one that suits but until then I took all the audio stuff out including a subwoofer that took up the entire boot, an amp that's so big it only barely fit behind the passenger seat, and some parcel shelf speakers that weren't even wired in anyway and will require getting a new parcel shelf that doesn't have holes cut in it.

I might get rid of the big ugly bolt on roll bar and get some chrome hoops or something.

I'm probably going to get some fibreglass wings because my folks can pick them up for the dude that makes them and couriers are being rayt poo about getting back to me about the rusty set I was gonna get off a breaker for pennies.

For a stop gap runabout this is now getting way too much of my money and attention but it's actually fun building this into the car I really want it to be.

I need a PZ black boot lid. I might also get the car undersealed. At this rate the 2 is gonna look really scruffy in comparison :lol:

If I can budge the Tein's down a bit more I figured I can get some more lows without passing the roll centre so I might do that but I'll have to wait until the new exhaust gets here to figure out clearance. I also live on a road with c**t speed humps. I do enjoy watching the dude with the slammed E36 going up and down sometimes but I don't want to join him.

Return to “Member Profiles”