Drivers window stopped working?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

daviefoster9773

Drivers window stopped working?

Post by daviefoster9773 »

As above.
It stopped working last night - fully down. lol.
Is the switch known to stop working and is there any way of getting it back up until i get it fixed?
It was intermittently stopping going up. You would have to push switch down then immediately up to get it to go up which makes me think the switch is gone.
Thanks in advance
abovetherim

Re: Drivers window stopped working?

Post by abovetherim »

The switch can be dismantled and you will find simple rockers to make the contacts. These can get bent or just sooted up.
To get the window up in the mean time you could try putting 12 v on the motor or taking the motor off and wedging the window up with some wood.

Of course the best course of action is to get in there with a meter to see if its the switch, wiring or motor that's gone.

If you have someone near you with a spare switch you could even do a quick test.
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Probably the switch they are a garbage design as all load passes through the contacts in the switch mechanism resulting in poor contacts. Not hard to dismantle remove the plastic cover over the pcb then 4 screws to open it up.

I recently replaced mine with a non-genuine chinese switch assembly (as I have 2 genuine ones with worn out contacts) which uses relays a much better solution, only downside is they are designed for auto down only and not both up & down.
auzzam

Post by auzzam »

Does your passenger window still go up and down? If not it could be the fuse in the driverside foot well (just changed mine today)
ashley

Post by ashley »

Pull the switch out, open it up and clean the contacts with some wet and dry...Bob's yer Uncle's Fanny :thumleft:
outrun

Post by outrun »

Could also be a broken wire where the loom passes through the door, into the car.
Test the switch and motor and you will know.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”