turbo and NA shocks same/interchangeable?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

masterbateson

turbo and NA shocks same/interchangeable?

Post by masterbateson »

No doubt an easy one for old timer experts on here.
But are shocks off a NA car the same as the ones on a Turbo?

I know you get the other type of shocks that have replaceable inkserts, but if you come across a NA car with black billys on, then would they be ok on my turbo?

Just wondering on the slim off chance of me finding a scrapper/donor car that looks like it has been treated to replacement shocks at some point.

Did the NA cars ever come with black bilsteins? if you find a car with them on is it because someone has done an upgrade presumably.
Herts66

T

Post by Herts66 »

As far as I know the black Billies only came on turbos but the strut size is the same and they are interchangeable.
Black Billies do not have separate strut body and insert though unlike the NA struts that take inserts.
I think Billies can be rebuilt by bilstein uk though at £75 a corner there is something in retro cars mag this month about it.
masterbateson

Re: turbo and NA shocks same/interchangeable?

Post by masterbateson »

Now that's interesting re the rebuild for 75 sheets.

My mate was just telling me about a place around here actually near inskip who he reckons remanufactures shocks and steering racks, he said they advertise in classic car magazine amongst others,

See mr2 ben have a used black bilstein for 90 squid.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-Tu ... SwmrlUroDs

Wonder if this ones a rebuild jobby?
:-k springs/dust cover and bump stops look new/newish
Herts66

T

Post by Herts66 »

I think it's pretty rare that they're rebuilt.
My Car was NA and I switched to Billies and sold my old struts for £80 and got a set of black Billies with two spares for £100. I sold those a few months ago for £80. I would say that's a fair price.
I actually bought a set of yellow billies used for £200.
All those prices are for complete struts with springs and cups etc

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”