Removing the bonnet

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mike

Removing the bonnet

Post by Mike »

Hi folks, junst wondered if there are any handy hints or tips for removing the bonnet and replacing it? Is it a two man job?
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Re: Removing the bonnet

Post by JAAASH »

Really simple job. Only 4 bolts and your washer lines to disconnect. Certainly going to make life a lot easier having two pairs of hands due to it's size but you could probably manage on your own with a bit of faffing :lol: :thumleft:

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494
craig

Post by craig »

As above.

I'd recommend 2 people to remove, one either side. Saves the risk of dropping it on the car.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

did it a few times as a 1 man job.. found that the bonnet stay helped.

Put a bit of rag over each rear corner just in case.
Then undud the washer jet hose first, then the passenger hinge top bolt and made the second lose.

undid the drivers side bolt and loosend the 2nd one.

made sure i had a firm grip of the bonnet and undid the last bolt on the driver's side. walked round while still holding the bonnet up and undid the last bolt.

lifted it up and headbutted the bonnet stay a couple of times to make it release from the hole. Lifted the bonnet away from the car.

It's soooo much easier with 2 people!
cosmos

Bonnet

Post by cosmos »

Don't forget to re thread your water pipes into the bonnet to miss being compressed on the bonnet seal.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

pbmr2 wrote:did it a few times as a 1 man job.. found that the bonnet stay helped.

Then undud the washer jet hose first, then the passenger hinge top bolt and made the second lose.

made sure i had a firm grip of the bonnet and undid the last bolt on the driver's side. walked round while still holding the bonnet up and undid the last bolt.

lifted it up and headbutted the bonnet stay a couple of times to make it release from the hole. Lifted the bonnet away from the car.

Bang on bud :thumleft:
Torero

Post by Torero »

2mad wrote:
pbmr2 wrote:did it a few times as a 1 man job.. found that the bonnet stay helped.

Bang on bud :thumleft:
+1 :lol: great explanation but I had strange images all the way through it.
3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”