Red Engine Fan Warning Light

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Nic

Red Engine Fan Warning Light

Post by Nic »

Rev3 Turbo

The red engine fan warning light came on when stuck in traffic yesterday, am I right in thinking this indicates a problem with the intercooler fan?

I'm going to check the wiring to the fan with a multimeter, if I check when the red light is on should I see a current to the fan?
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
craig

Re: Red Engine Fan Warning Light

Post by craig »

Have you checked the connections to the fan itself? Also, if the fan is actually operational.

Either of those would cause the light to come on.

From memory, it needs to see a resistance (i.e. load) being drawn. Otherwise, the light on the dash comes on.
Nic

Post by Nic »

craig wrote:Have you checked the connections to the fan itself? Also, if the fan is actually operational.

Either of those would cause the light to come on.

From memory, it needs to see a resistance (i.e. load) being drawn. Otherwise, the light on the dash comes on.

I think there might be a break in the wire where it enters the fan motor, I had some work done recently and the wire has been cable tied but is very tightly kinked at the fan motor end.

I'm useless when it comes to electrics, could anyone explain how to test the fan plug with a multimeter? Can it be tested when I first start the car or do I need to wait until the warning light comes on?
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Nic

Post by Nic »

I was told to disconnect the temp sensor on the engine lid to test the IC fan. I tried this and the fan works and stays on permanently as soon as the car is started. So I know now that the fan is working.

I'm a bit confused, the red fan warning light only came on when I was sat in traffic which I assumed had been triggered by a temp sensor.

Any ideas where the fault is?
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Nic wrote:Rev3 Turbo

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i65.tinypic.com/2qxp305.gif

The red engine fan warning light came on when stuck in traffic yesterday, am I right in thinking this indicates a problem with the intercooler fan?

I have a translated owners manual. For that warning light it says:
Radiator Fan Warning Light. If an abnormality is detected in the Radiator Fan Motor this light will appear.

Don't know how it detects it. With cars this age it might not be the fan motor. It could be wiring or a sensor.
Was the engine temp gauge at the normal level?
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

rev3gtturbo wrote:
Nic wrote:Rev3 Turbo

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i65.tinypic.com/2qxp305.gif

I have a translated owners manual. For that warning light it says:
Radiator Fan Warning Light. If an abnormality is detected in the Radiator Fan Motor this light will appear.

Don't know how it detects it. With cars this age it might not be the fan motor. It could be wiring or a sensor.
Was the engine temp gauge at the normal level?

I had the same problem with mine. Engine temp was normal and all fans working as they should.
I did get caught in heavy rain though so this may have caused a problem as I haven't experienced the same problem since (i don't tend to drive it in the rain unless I have to).

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”