[Mk2] [Turbo] Rev 2 suspension refresh

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

markstevieandmads

[Mk2] [Turbo] Rev 2 suspension refresh

Post by markstevieandmads »

Due to my rev 2 turbo failing the mot on one rear shock I've decided to get the rest of the suspension refreshed before the summer.

It's got black bilsteins on it at the Mo so what would you guys suggest I refresh while I'm doing them and what will I need?
Just suspension components please as done the brakes.

I'm thinking when shocks,spring,dust covers, top mounts,drop links,balljoint and polybush everything.

Anything else and any little things you would recommend at the same time?
parker455

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Rev 2 suspension refresh

Post by parker455 »

markstevieandmads wrote:Due to my rev 2 turbo failing the mot on one rear shock I've decided to get the rest of the suspension refreshed before the summer.

It's got black bilsteins on it at the Mo so what would you guys suggest I refresh while I'm doing them and what will I need?

I'm thinking when shocks,spring,dust covers, top mounts,drop links,balljoint and polybush everything.

My setup of choice would be:

- Spax springs
- Black billies OR rebuildable koni inserts. Likely the rebuildable as you can adjust the dampening I believe
- KYB top mounts

Then like you say all the other nick nacks, polybush for sure.
Grazzy

Post by Grazzy »

I've was in the same place, In the end i just decided to purchase these:-

http://www.meisterr.co.uk/vehicles/toyota/mr2-sw20/

Come with drop links, Pillow ball mounts. These transformed my car, granted ive only done 700 miles on them on low boost. but these are on another level compared to the stock suspension. with a discount code you can get these for under £700.
mr2garageswindon

Post by mr2garageswindon »

markstevieandmads wrote:Due to my rev 2 turbo failing the mot on one rear shock I've decided to get the rest of the suspension refreshed before the summer.

Geometry set up after its all been fitted and settled! :thumleft:

No!! not coilovers [-X
Grazzy

Post by Grazzy »

sorry why no coilovers?

I've just removed my billies with uprated top mounts and springs. all of it in good working order & my car has been recently had its poly bushes replaced. I just didn't find it anywhere near as good as these coilovers in all situations.
mr2garageswindon

Lol I know coilovers have their place and some are very good. Fine if doing lots of track days etc but in my opinion you don't need so many settings if being used on our crappy dirty roads.
I've fitted loads of sets of coilovers of various quality. Most customers love em.
I'm an old git now (40) I like the standard ish set up with uprated springs. Gives the best of both worlds.

Each to their own of course.
markstevieandmads

Not so easy it seems..... :(

Got a phone call from my garage this morning saying the mechanic has a problem in that the shock is welded to an arm on the rear and he can't replace shock without replacing the arm. Apparently the garage phoned Toyota and this "arm" is unavailable and so they can't repair this.
I very nearly phoned you Jon but decided to try getting the part first myself.

Thinking the garage was getting their parts mixed up I went on the net and got tcbparts phone number and spoke to a very nice chap called Trevor.
He said he didn't understand what the garage ment as the shocks are bolted onto the bodywork at the top and 2 bolts to the hub at the bottom.
He kindly agreed to chat to my garage and after 10mins I rephoned trevor to see what he could do.
It seems Toyota no longer manufacture bilsteins for the turbo so the other option was to go for a pair of shocks with refurbishable inserts. Apart from a set of coilovers which I just can't afford at this time ,and with Trevor's recommendation I've ordered these for delivery to the garage tommorow.
Thankfully the cost for this is only a little extra than what the garage had quoted me in the first place to replace one with them supplying the single part and both sides are now going to be done.
Fingers crossed.....
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

The shocks are only attached to drop links and hubs :lol: Please let us know what garage it is so i never take mine there :lol:
mr2garageswindon

Interesting, I had a chat with a guy earlier who was a a garage in Cheyney Manor?? Asking where to get shocks for a turbo as Toyota couldn't supply any.

What arm are they on about? It doesn't make sense.. 2 bolts on bottom of shock, 1 arb link and 3 nuts at the top.

If you need a chat Mark, you have my number, by all means gimme a shout.

Hope you get it sorted bud.

Wish my bloody MOT bay was up and running.. Sooooo close but not quite ](*,)
markstevieandmads

mr2garageswindon wrote:Interesting, I had a chat with a guy earlier who was a a garage in Cheyney Manor?? Asking where to get shocks for a turbo as Toyota couldn't supply any.

What arm are they on about? It doesn't make sense.. 2 bolts on bottom of shock, 1 arb link and 3 nuts at the top.

If you need a chat Mark, you have my number, by all means gimme a shout.

Hope you get it sorted bud.

Wish my bloody MOT bay was up and running.. Sooooo close but not quite ](*,)

Yeah mate, its in Cheney manor. Must be same garage.

I've popped down there to see what was going on. It looked like they ordered an insert or something as it had nowhere to put bolts into for drop link or hub.
I showed then what I ordered and they agreed that's what I need so all good.

If your mot bay was ready I would of taken it to you. I was in two minds whether to bring it down anyway but I'd have to pay for the retest and also the car is in bits now anyway.

Hopefully will be sorted tommorow if the parts turn up early enough.

I had this problem last time they worked on the car as they couldn't locate a balljoint for it. I got the part in the end myself and gave it to the garage.

I don't think they are used to imports. However they are a real friendly bunch of people and always try to help as much as possible.
markstevieandmads

I appreciate the offer of help as well. Thanks Jon.
mr2garageswindon

Glad you are getting it sorted bud. I know the garage as The Peugeot guy out the back of me, his son works there.
They do have a good reputation.
Of course I understand it was easier just to take it there and get it all done.
Get that bad boy ready for the sunshine :thumleft:
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

mr2garageswindon wrote:Interesting, I had a chat with a guy earlier who was a a garage in Cheyney Manor?? Asking where to get shocks for a turbo as Toyota couldn't supply any.

Is this because they asked Toyota only for a Bilstein shock?

Last time I got shocks (a couple of years ago for a Rev 3 turbo) Toyota could get standard shocks and Bilstein shocks. The standard shocks were cheaper.

The new standard ones are black (Toyota branded? Definitely not Bilstein branded) and they work well on the road.
Have they run out of these as well?

Return to “Mechanical”