Fuel filler cap

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Odin_S

Fuel filler cap

Post by Odin_S »

I had an embarrass moment today trying to get the fuel filler cap off. This is the second time this has happen in 6 months after leaving the car a while.

Does anyone know the part number for one? Are NA and Turbo the same?

Thanks
raptor95GTS

Re: Fuel filler cap

Post by raptor95GTS »

is it the flap that's not opening or the twist cap not coming off?
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

Twist cap.. Felt like a right woose tonight with all my might :lol:
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Had this a couple of times many years ago.

It has become pressurised. Leave it for 20-30 minutes for the pressure to equalise and it should undo as normal.

After that I did not tighten the cap quite so much and it stopped happening.

The next time it happened years later I think it was because the fuel nozzle dripped onto the thread after it had shut off and I was taking the nozzle out of the tank. I didnt think to wipe it off the thread and I think that helped pressurise it.

Previous owner of my current mr2 obviously had this problem and tried to turn it with a spanner. The plastic will warp and start to break before the cap turns.
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Had this on both my MR2s, I think it is quite a common thing! Just don`t over tighten the fuel cap, I leave mine turned just near to where it is about to `click` but no further. Won`t go anywhere at that and just does not seem to build up the pressure/get so tight for some reason.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

still run the charcoal canister?
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

jimGTS wrote:still run the charcoal canister?

Yes. I think I'll order a new Cap. It happens when the car is left for long periods. Normally i just hand tight it when that happens.

I think the cap is just old
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

remove the charcoal canister, wont ever have this problem again.

plenty of how too guides.
:thumleft:
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

Forgive my dumbness but what does the said part do? Toyota had to have a reason put it on :-k I don't want to take something off just because race car
ashley

Post by ashley »

It's there to absorb any petrol fumes from the petrol tank vent system. The vent system itself should be preventing any pressure building up in the tank, so if it's still happening it would be worth checking the vent lines, and charcoal canister to make sure its not blocked.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

Very interesting read and that's just the first page. Will read when i'm relaxing tonight

Thanks Jim and Ash for info. I will probably keep it in though. When my engine was rebuilt the fuel cap went missing, so Luke gave me another one. There was the start of the problem, That's why i suspect the cap.
cosmos

Petrol Cap

Post by cosmos »

My Rev 5 filler neck was replaced as part of the ESVA test and the cap was modified in depth to suit, which i noticed after the cap was hard to remove on an empty tank a couple of times, even read of people using adjustable spanners to remove them. Think world standards advise a universal type screw thread on the cap so i sourced an alternative which was a Ford Focus Mk1 a perfect alternative even a retaining strap, the advantage over the crap Toyota type is there is ample purchase to never be a problem to remove amidst the whooshing of air, been good for sealing and removal now for 12 years.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”