Noob turbo build

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Kiefer

Noob turbo build

Post by Kiefer »

Evening all, I'm currently in the process of rebuilding my stock Rev 1 3sgte engine, i have the end goal of having a safe reliable 300bhp in a rev4 t bar summer car occasional rookie track days, so would anybody be abld to suggest which route on parts and machine work I need to take to see the 300?

I have a 1k budget for all parts/work from this point onwards, so far iv literally stripped and cleaned the engine, have arp head and con rod bolts later metal gasket I believe and I'd like a tidy air to water cooler set up, any opinions on using kinugawa turbo or a Garrett with adaptor plate?

All advice is immensely appreciated!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: Noob turbo build

Post by Ryan S »

you won't need any machine work, The stock block, pistons and rods will see 300bhp no problem.

Garrett would be overkill for 300bhp although a GT28 would spool great. The CT20 will see 300BHP too and is basically a direct bolt on.

Kinugawa have mixed reviews, a lot of the subaru guy use them with no issues whatsoever but people on here will rip you apart for suggesting using them!
Kiefer

Post by Kiefer »

I had a few face bookers telling me to have oversized forged Pistons which I think is a little OTT

From what iv gathered I need the following

Rev 3 ecu / standalone (if i happen to get a lottery win)
Rev 3 injectors
Rev 3 cams
Renewed ignition system
Gt4 charge cooler
Walbro pump
Stock internals, but acl race bearings
Rev 3 gasket (already have)
Ct20b with berk decat
Boost controller

Iv always heard good things about kinugawa not really heard anything negative yet, as for Garrett I was thinking about having it now whilst I had the money to then put to use at a later date should I decide to go all out and forge but being realistic I do t see it happening and I'm way to indecisive to splash out in a Garrett and custom exhaust ](*,)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah you'd need at least rev3 fuel management. 300bhp can be done with a sidemount but chargecooler is a great upgrade. Cams aren't needed and rev2 ignition is fine. :thumleft:
Kiefer

Post by Kiefer »

Thank god Rev 3 cams seemed difficult to find, I'd prefer charge cooler over smic, smic just looks pants, basically sourced everything bar the ecu so, good to send the head and block off this weekend and then Start piling it all back together :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Kiefer wrote:Thank god Rev 3 cams seemed difficult to find, I'd prefer charge cooler over smic, smic just looks pants, basically sourced everything bar the ecu so, good to send the head and block off this weekend and then Start piling it all back together :thumleft:

If you're going ahead with machine work it'd be silly not to chuck a set of forged pistons in there. Not strictly needed for 300bhp but it'll save you doing it again when you feel the urge for 400bhp :) if you can afford to I mean, I know they're expensive.
Kiefer

Post by Kiefer »

I'm only having the head and block hot tanked, head skimmed and might hone the cylinder walls as iv noticed some very light scratching but not honing it out for oversizing or forged, if I spend forged money il buy a Rev 3 + lump I suppose
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

Kiefer....I'm not a million miles from you and been thinking of giving my rev 2 turbo a refresh as the cambelt needs doing

Can you let me know who your using and how it goes. I'd rather go with a company that someone has a good experience with.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Kiefer wrote:I'm only having the head and block hot tanked, head skimmed and might hone the cylinder walls as iv noticed some very light scratching but not honing it out for oversizing or forged, if I spend forged money il buy a Rev 3 + lump I suppose

Replace the piston rings then mate :thumleft:

Some say the rev2 lump is stronger than the rev3. I've no opinion, rev1,2,3. They're all prone to cracking somewhere!

Just stick with your rev2 block.
Kiefer

Post by Kiefer »

Just been given a load of new realistic info I hadn't even thought about, swapping to all these Rev 3 bits and I have a Rev 2 loom, someone else who I know nothing whatsoever about has stated that simply

Ct20b
Berk de cat
Gt4 charge cooler
All the standard Rev 2 ignition system and injectors is all I need to see 300?

Plus clutch flywheel etc..

Also vaguely said using a standalone ecu tuned on a dyno session, but I'm unsure if I can just use the Rev 2 ecu or if it will limit the amount of power I can see or unless it's mappable?

Literally have no idea which route to take now, I suppose the cheapest is the easiest
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

You'll be hard pushed to get 300bhp from 440cc injectors. The loom is easy enough to replace, I actually hauled mine out not too long ago and put it back in, done in less than an hour. It unplugs from the passenger footwell and really isn't a big job.

The problem with mr2s is that a 250bhp one can easily feel like 300bhp. See if you can find a video or a dyno print out of one making (a reliable) 300bhp on 440s. I know Turbonoz did it but the car was a ticking time bomb that failed in the end. Admittedly after a life of total abuse!

None of the mr2 ecus are remapable and a rev2 won't see anywhere near 300bhp.

Standalone, 550s and a CT20 you'll make 300bhp.
Kiefer

Post by Kiefer »

markstevieandmads wrote:Kiefer....I'm not a million miles from you and been thinking of giving my rev 2 turbo a refresh as the cambelt needs doing

Can you let me know who your using and how it goes. I'd rather go with a company that someone has a good experience with.

the only company il be using is the head work and dipping, rest of it will be me bud
Kiefer

Post by Kiefer »

sheppy wrote:You'll be hard pushed to get 300bhp from 440cc injectors. The loom is easy enough to replace, I actually hauled mine out not too long ago and put it back in, done in less than an hour. It unplugs from the passenger footwell and really isn't a big job.

The problem with mr2s is that a 250bhp one can easily feel like 300bhp. See if you can find a video or a dyno print out of one making (a reliable) 300bhp on 440s. I know Turbonoz did it but the car was a ticking time bomb that failed in the end. Admittedly after a life of total abuse!

None of the mr2 ecus are remapable and a rev2 won't see anywhere near 300bhp.

Standalone, 550s and a CT20 you'll make 300bhp.

the loom from passenger well to bay is coming out any ways mate, its a rev 4 shell taking the rev 2 lump, it seems flat out that il have to get a standalone system which is really going to take most of the budget, the 550's are these rev 3 injectors or can i get an aftermarket option to adapt to the rev 2 loom?

what im thinking about doing excluding the injector scenario is using the ct20 fitting everything else as is with rev 2 ecu and a decent exhaust system plus fcd boost controller etc etc and seeing what i get power wise from that, if it falls alot short of the 250-300 band then il look into standalone and bigger injectors i suppose?

definitely be taking it somewhere for the ecu swap and tune no chance il know what to do..
Kiefer

Post by Kiefer »

Standalone, 550s and a CT20 you'll make 300bhp.[/quote]

but i suppose this is it short and sweet really isnt it..
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

550s will cost you £50, yeah they're from a rev3. No point having it mapped twice. Just put the 550s in, they fit in the rev2 rail 👍🏾
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Would it be cheaper just to run the Rev 3 ecu? Could that be an option I wonder?
Kiefer

Post by Kiefer »

androo007 wrote:Would it be cheaper just to run the Rev 3 ecu? Could that be an option I wonder?

I'd have to repin the loom I should imagine to run the Rev 3 ecu
Kiefer

Post by Kiefer »

sheppy wrote:550s will cost you £50, yeah they're from a rev3. No point having it mapped twice. Just put the 550s in, they fit in the rev2 rail 👍🏾

550's it is then :thumleft:

Same pump?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Same pump yeah, rev3 management would be the cheapest option :thumleft:
Kiefer

Post by Kiefer »

right new list then

rev 3 ecu + injectors, plus map sensor and igniter

gt4 charge cooler (more or less bought)

turbo probably garrett... with preferably berk decat

acl bearings

arp head studs

boost controller

turbo timer

re pinned loom ](*,)

be about it hopefully
Last edited by Kiefer on Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Modifications”