Andy's Rev 3 Turbo - Project complete.

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

androo007

Re: Andy's Rev 3 Turbo - Project complete.

Post by androo007 »

Engine back in (yay!) and chargecooler in. Unfortunately bracket missing from the chargecooler i bought :evil: so Pete had to make up another.

I think I get the feeling im going to become one of those anal people that polish their engine bay....

:lol:

Did a lot of manifold polishing etc when I was younger and it looked awesome.

androo007

Post by androo007 »

IT'S DONE!

So, one day to go, it's Friday, and Pete starts fitting the charge cooler pre-rad. Once the bumper was off, the radiator was found to be cr@p.... oh balls.... quick onto MR2 Ben who arranged before 12 next day delivery.

So, on the train I get at 9:30 to make my way up......

Lessons learnt: When buying second hand goods ALWAYS throw the expendable items away. Anything perishable. Unfortunately that meant that some of the charge cooler hosing was brittle, leading to further problems down the line.

At this point I have to raise a beer to Pete. He continued to crack on and work to complete the car until 2am.

TWO AM IN THE MORNING!

Off to McDonalds for a well-deserved tummy fuel-up and then at 3am I made the way home.... to get in through the door at 7:30am.

Besides being extremely happy with the car, all I can say is a HUGE thanks to Pete.

I've probably been a massive pain in the ar$e, chasing, calling, having MULTIPLE things added to the build, having things shipped to and from his workshop, collected, the lot.

Not once did he moan, complain or be anything except extremely helpful and an all-round top bloke. Ultimately I'm as tight as a ducks ar$e but never been happier to hand over my cash to anyone than I have Pete on such a great job.

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Back home and now my attentions turn to the engine bay.... It's a bit of a miss-match of colours, and in desperate need of a clean.

next plans:

* Switch all silicone to BLACK (I prefer OEM look)

* Clean up all engine bay surround

Perhaps look to machine polish some parts.

I'm booked in for the car to now be mapped, straight after a 1000 mile run-in period which I'm racking through at a rate of knots. currently running wastegate pressure at 0.7 bar.

BTW screamer pipes aren't loud lads!
Last edited by androo007 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mr2toby

Post by mr2toby »

Good build thread :thumleft:

Who is doing the mapping for you ? What sort of power are you shooting for?
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Thanks!

I’m using Simon @ Predator performance, he’s a bit of a whizz and knows MR2’s well. Just need to pick up the ECU from another member on here.

I think the turbo will deliver 350-370bhp.

Shame it’s not the magic 400… but will keep my eyes peeled for a GT3076 kit in the future once I get bored :)
craig

Post by craig »

Good stuff mate. Bet you're like a pig in sh*t! :mrgreen:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

After waiting for weeks and weeks for an ECU I've been shafted by someone on here a day before I was due to pick it up.....

So back on the hunt ... please let me know if you know anyone that has an Power FC ECU for sale
ashley

Post by ashley »

I know of a MoTeC M880 if you want....
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Thanks Ash, i think it might be a bit out my price range though!

Spoken to my mapper who also does Link G4, seriously looking at that again as its only £300 more all in than the Apexi and a far better ECU. I was previously swayed by convenience but unless one comes up trumps sharpish i'll try and go with the Link. Just means running on low boost for even longer.....
Chumbaside

Post by Chumbaside »

PM'd
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Next chapter!

After getting home at 7:30 Saturday am slept like a donkey then off to work on Monday for some more run in miles.

7pm on way home BING! on comes the oil pressure light - called RAC and waited 6 hours (!!!!!!) For a recovery truck at the side of the road. First diagnostics guy turned up stinking of booze, I refused him to touch the car, then another 3 hours for the flatbed.

Car now back up at Petes for diagnosis - looks to be the oil pressure switch we hope....

So whilst it's up there getting the japspeed b pipe made up and fitted and a toad cat 1 alarm being fitted by Mr Toad himself.

Other items stockpiled. ... in the meantime to go towards starting to tidy up engine bay....

* engine lid hydraulic lift
* replacement black silicone vacuum hoses
* Mikalor clamps
* black silicone couplers

Should be picking car back up next weekend - god I dread that 5h train journey..... but worth it to have the car done by the best!

As usual Pete been top banana through the whole experience.
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

It's really worth getting a oil pressure gauge fitted. May save your engine one day.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Yeah agreed, I think I'm going to look to put one in the stock boost gauge location instead.

Any recommendations for that size?

Although saying that oil pressure can only be...

No oil - dead car
No oil pressure from faulty pump - dead car
No indicated pressure - faulty sensor.

Would someone realistically notice and stop the engine in good time? I think not.... a few seconds of low pressure and it's in the bin. Still, think I'll still get one
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

I believe it's 45mm if you want it in the instrument panel.

That's true for the idiot light, it would be too late but not for a specific oil gauge especially if fitted lower down as opposed to the head . It good' to know your oil pressures ,cold start, oil viscosity all affect the pressures and can show up a worn pump.

You can get gauges with warning also so if your eyes are not on the gauge you'll get alerted but may struggle finding a 45mm version?
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Thats a good point.... thanks chap will take a look.

Im just a fan of OEM+ so trying to avoid multiple pods etc everywhere.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Next! Cat 1 Toad alarm fitted by the alarm guru himself Mr Toad from Leeds.

Pete pointed out to me the previous home "install" which I thought was a cat 2 alarm was spliced into the starter motor only, meaning a screwdriver and a bump start was all it needed to drive off!

Money very well spent now she's safe.

Tuesday the greddy pex (power extreme) exhaust is getting swapped for a louder japspeed.

Turns out the exhaust I have is super duper rare, and regarded as the top wallop of exhausts ever for the mr2 (according to the opinion of some unternets). It looks superb but I like LOUD as it's only a fun summer car and even the screamer pipe was too quiet for me.

Oil pressure switch confirmed as the problem and replaced, and as usual Pete has been nothing but perfect. so refreshing to find a truthful, honest and friendly person to trust with your pride and joy.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

androo007 wrote:Pete has been nothing but perfect. so refreshing to find a truthful, honest and friendly person to trust with your pride and joy.

This is worth it's weight in Gold, In fact to get this for any car is pretty rare, well done Pete :wink:

I may have missed it but have you booked a dyno session yet ? Looking forward to seeing the results, I quite enjoyed this turbo when it was on my old mr2, all 500 odd miles or so I did in it after mapping anyway :oops:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Not yet Martin! My mapper wants me to do 1000 miles before tuning to make sure it's run in. So far only got 300 done.

After that I think I'll aim for about 20psi - what did you get out of it Martin?

Today I bought another mr2 turbo, bought as spares and repairs with the intention to break for parts..... but I just can't help but love it!

It may be Pete has another one on the way up as a slow burner in the near future.... :lol: problem is I bought this on credit stupidly for a quick turnaround, didn't think I'd want to keep it! But seems a fun alternative to my 330ci daily....
androo007

Post by androo007 »

So 600 miles in, the cars back from Pete's again and the smiles haven't stopped!

Whilst i save for the Link ECU and mapping I've started turning my attention to the engine bay. Started to stockpile different bits to clean it up.

2 small updates today - fitted a cusco front brace from my breaker as it didnt sell.... i got impatient :mrgreen:

Secondly, when i bought the car is was 99% standard. Apart from some awful tinting. So out of date now, i prefer the OEM look. Stole some of the girlfriends acetone from her nail kit and phew..... looking better.

I know, i know, the car is filthy!

The breaker car had some literally in brand new condition Rota Grid R1's which just need rear tyres replacing in black. Was going to sell..... but they have grown on me. So they'll go with me.

Also, a full set of KYB Gymkhana Suspension (not coilies) removed from breaker. Look superb, no problem. Very tempted to keep these.....

Oh, and fitted a gas ram to the engine bay. They're Great!!!
Last edited by androo007 on Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JD

Post by JD »

Lights look much better now :thumleft:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Not a lot changed, since getting the car back been just running it in. Another oil change, now on semi before finishing up to run on fully synthetic.

Slow progress with the engine bay. It looked pretty shoddy considering the cash thrown at it - the result of 22 years and used parts I guess.

Things I wanted to tackle:

* Get rid of the engine lid prop for a pneumatic one
* sort out the bodgy sized silicone couplers supplied with the radtec kit (I think for rev 2 with smaller throttle body)
* good clean and tuck of unused wires

So far started cleaning nothing drastic. I wanted an OEM+ look so swapping over to black silicone and black mikalor jubilee clips.

Lots of toothbrush and gunk on the IM and plenty more work to do.... what have I got myself in for!

I also got 2 new eagle F1s for the Rota GTR alloys and put them on the car.

Ooh, booked in for ECU install on 31st, decided on the Link G4 in the end. Some clever things you can do on that!

Can't wait! Although I already know I'm going to want a bigger turbo!
Last edited by androo007 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Member Profiles”