Did some Mk2 models have 2 cats from the factory?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mr2Owner

Did some Mk2 models have 2 cats from the factory?

Post by Mr2Owner »

Just as the thread title reads, did some Mr2 Mk2 models have 2 cats fitted from standard, if so which models were they?

Did a Rev3 turbo come with 2? My exhaust system isn't standard so I don't know for sure what my car is supposed to have. I read in a magazine some models had 2 cats so I'm not sure now. I can't imagine there being much room for another Cat under there.
gavsdavs

Re: Did some Mk2 models have 2 cats from the factory?

Post by gavsdavs »

Mr2Owner wrote:Just as the thread title reads, did some Mr2 Mk2 models have 2 cats fitted from standard, if so which models were they?

Did a Rev3 turbo come with 2? My exhaust system isn't standard so I don't know for sure what my car is supposed to have. I read in a magazine some models had 2 cats so I'm not sure now. I can't imagine there being much room for another Cat under there.

I'm not sure of a definitive answer, but I suspect most of them - at least post rev 2 - will have done.

Mine was/is a rev2 N/A JDM car, imported 1999, came with a CAT on it. I suspect that both N/A and turbo cars from at least rev2 onwards will have been fitted with cats.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

None of them had two cats. Most of them will have had one though. Are you sure you're not confusing them with the Mk3, which has pre-cats?
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

The Japanese turbos have only the main CAT. USA turbos had a secondary CAT as well in the b-pipe due to stricter emissions rules.
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

^this. The usdm cars required two due to the very strict emissions laws in california.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”